Forum connectivity or performance issues

The forum seems to going through one of its "go-slow" phases again this afternoon. In general everything seems to be taking a long time to load, but in particular the black banner at the top is hanging for up to 20 seconds each time I mark something as read.

I wonder if we really need to see this banner as it has been reported as the source of hangs before and I something I experience fairly regularly, but not as bad as today.

John

It's been patchy for me, sometimes it's reacting properly and then hangs unexpectedly, particularly when using the back button. I'd just put it down to local net traffic, been going on for a couple of days, as a few other sites are reacting similarly.

Johnb

13 minutes ago, AY Mod said:

Not been seeing anything of that severity at this end John but I'll keep an eye on it.

Just for info, I'm on a very fast connection (110/22 with 2ms ping) and I have just tried a few other sites and they are really fast to respond.

John

Edited by JJGraphics
Typo

Having the same problem, John. Perhaps it's down to the power cut we had last night.....:D

Just makes you realise how much we take electricity for granted. Saw around 65 minutes of the match then phut, sitting in the dark with just a candle and a torch.

Edit: Some pages seem OK, but then it will take 10-20 seconds on another. Totally random..

Edited by gordon s
  • Friendly/supportive 1

45 minutes ago, gordon s said:

Having the same problem, John. Perhaps it's down to the power cut we had last night.....:D

Just makes you realise how much we take electricity for granted. Saw around 65 minutes of the match then phut, sitting in the dark with just a candle and a torch.

Edit: Some pages seem OK, but then it will take 10-20 seconds on another. Totally random..

We have not had any power issues recently but my broadband kit and computer is on an uninterruptible power supply so if there is a power issue everything carries on for about two hours regardless. When we had a big power cut last year the BT side of things kept going all the time so they must have good back-up power arrangements.

The random behaviour on the forums you are seeing is very similar to what I see. The black banner sits at the top of the page sometimes for around 20 seconds; another time it is gone after 2 or 3 seconds.

John

Edited by JJGraphics
Typo

When I called the guys, they said it was a main network issue and something like 1,400 houses were off in Wokingham. We've had two cuts in the last three weeks or so, with only one or two before that in 25 years. Something may be amiss somewhere......

• Friendly/supportive 1

I find that the forum runs slow very often, an almost daily occurence.

The ad banner on the main page takes 5 to 10 seconds to load, the menu button's drop down menus don't drop down, because the banner is still loading? Topics can take 5 to 10 seconds to load, pressing the back button to go to the previous page can also take 5 to 10 seconds.

When submitting a reply the button 'greys out' and nothing apparently happens. But the reply is there when I come back later.

There is definately something going on, but it's hard to be definitive.

Regards,

John P

• Like 1
  • Agree 6

I think the site is really slow due to the number of adverts on each page. They seem to take the most time when looking at the request logs in developer tools. Wonder if the page is structured in such a way to make these javascript calls blocking, and not having the js loaded at the very end of the page?

• Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold

I am in Torquay on broadband. Twice in the last 10 minutes I have had a screen pop up to tell me there was a 522 error. It reassured me that my browser (Safari) was working fine, that Cloudflare in London was doing the biz, but that RMweb was not responding. 

Before that I had had multiple very slow responses, like Paul Cheffus. 

• Agree 8

Lightning fast log-in this morning, but now the black "marked as read" banner at the top is hanging for 15-20 seconds.

John

Now, ten minutes later it's going like coal off a shovel . . .

Edited by JJGraphics
Add updated comment

• RMweb Gold
29 minutes ago, Nile said:

Looks like RMweb needs a bigger boiler, it keeps running out of steam in the evening.

Is that RMweb or your local network? Our internet slows noticably as soon as the neighbours' kids get back from school in the afternoon.

• RMweb Premium

23 seconds to open this morning - no delay on any other sites.  But over the last few months RMWeb has frequently been slow so I now wait patiently rather than think something's gone wrong.

DT

• Agree 4

• RMweb Gold

I've had this for a couple of months now. At first I thought it was just probably something my end until seeing the various threads about this on here.

My LAN is 1Gb, got an "up to" 40Mb FTTC connection that varies between 20Mb and 35Mb, using a Win10 PC and Chrome. I've very recently switched to Firefox after seeing the First Party Cookie DNS tracking exploit now being used by malicious marketers but it's still the same. I'm also using uBlock Origin to block this hack but have whitelisted RMWeb.

When it occurs, which appears to be at totally random times, the Home page takes about 30s to load. Sometimes Saving a post takes a long time too. It will be slow on minute, then suddenly speed up again only to be slow again later on. Any other site I visit at the point I see a slowdown on RMWeb responds as expected (e.g. fast).

I used the developer console in FF to log what was happening on a slow page load:

image.png.1b61fc1de4f578cefdf512fab022c8e9.png

I've got the JSON output if it's any good to anyone for debugging.

Edited by 57xx
  • Informative/Useful 2

The forum is playing up for me again.

I’m on my iPad at the moment. Log-in took about 30-40 seconds from clicking the button. Some pages are taking 20+ seconds to load and the black bar is hanging at the top of the forum for up to 15 seconds when I mark something as Read, but some pages load almost instantly, even ones with a lot of images.

Speed test shows 105/21, 3ms ping. Other sites I’ve tried load almost instantly.

Really puzzled about this behaviour . . .

John