Conservatives pledge £500m towards "Beeching Reversal Fund"

Boris Johnson on Friday proposed a £500m fund to help reopen some of the passenger rail services axed in the Beeching review of the 1960s.

https://www.ft.com/content/5f708692-06fc-11ea-a984-fbbacad9e7dd

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/politics/2019/11/15/want-banish-shadow-dr-beeching-give-communities-rail-connectivity/

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2019/nov/15/boris-johnson-announces-spending-package-for-neglected-towns

Edited by DavidB-AU
Typo
  • Informative/Useful 2
  • Funny 1

• RMweb Gold

Any marginal constituencies on those lines?

It's a fairly daft proposal. A feasability study could be done by most of us with good access to Google Earth for next to nothing. No need for £500m. But, as we know from other rail schemes, £500m does not achieve much on the ground.

I am struggling to think of many former branchlines which would benefit. But the other consequence of Beeching, the singling of former double track main lines might be worth looking at with this sort of money. The Conservatives have lots of marginal constituencies in the South-West (hint).

• Agree 4

I have just started reading a new book  West Riding Steam  the maps showing the railways around the area and the number that Beeching closed that now could be metro lines is staggering .One thing that comes through on all utterences from  mp,s  is lack of knowledge and a very short timespan of concentration just watching the unfolding problems recently shows this.Old railway lines were built over as quickly as possible so as to remove reopening possabilties  ,      Marples ensured this so as to wipe them from memory and encourage the car usage that he personally wanted. 

• Like 4
  • Agree 2

The Guardian article, at least, identifies the targets:

Fleetwood / Cleveleys (this is an existing plan by Blackpool trams and councils, so initial feasibility already done)

Blyth route re-opening of stations (Northumberland council has already applied for £99m to re-open three stations)

Willenhall and Darlaston stations re-opening

Skelmersdale re-connection to Liverpool and Manchester 

All existing plans and all ready to progress, but I think that uses up the half billion pretty much straight away. Again, one has to ask whether this is new money?

• Like 5
  • Agree 4
  • Informative/Useful 1

Beeching Reversal? HA HA HA HA HA! 

I was watching Tomorrow's World review of the 70s last night [don't ask]. In 1979 money the Tyne metro cost £7m a mile and that was considered cheap.  [see 30.22] and those were existing rail routes.

• Informative/Useful 3

3 hours ago, Mike Storey said:

Blyth route re-opening of stations (Northumberland council has already applied for £99m to re-open three stations)

The Blyth & Tyne re-opening? Hmm, I'll believe that when if I see it!

They were talking of that when I was still working the units, and that was in the 80s - I went on Intercity at sectorisation in 1990

£500m? At NR prices it'll buy a couple of sleepers

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Mike Storey said:

Fleetwood / Cleveleys (this is an existing plan by Blackpool trams and councils, so initial feasibility already done)

All existing plans and all ready to progress, but I think that uses up the half billion pretty much straight away. Again, one has to ask whether this is new money?

Correct. This is all old news. I'm sure I saw an identical article about two years ago.

It's mainly to re open a few bits like they have with the recent Halton Curve (which cost about £15 million for a couple of miles of single track). Anyone expecting them to suddenly reopen the Somerset & Dorset, Buxton to Matlock and The Woodhead Route is going to be a bit disappointed.

Jason

• Like 4
  • Agree 3

18 minutes ago, Steamport Southport said:

Correct. This is all old news. I'm sure I saw an identical article about two years ago.

It's mainly to re open a few bits like they have with the recent Halton Curve (which cost about £15 million for a couple of miles of single track). Anyone expecting them to suddenly reopen the Somerset & Dorset, Buxton to Matlock and The Woodhead Route is going to be a bit disappointed.

Jason

All true, but the Halton Curve was not so simple - two new crossovers (at each end) which will have cost around £4m including signalling, plus brand new bi-di signalling throughout the two miles of single line, about £4m, plus significant re-signalling either side, say another £2m, plus design, development and PM costs etc. 

But the point you make is still absolutely correct.

• RMweb Gold
6 hours ago, Mike Storey said:

The three route re-openings plus Skelmersdale were also quoted in the 'Daily Telegraph' - I think they were named in a speech by Grant Shapps from the way the Telegraph article mentioned them.   I would be surprised if any of them are new ideas because there would be a major doubt on cists for any schemes which have not even had a cursory examination and rough estimates produced.

I do wonder how much of the money has already been spent and will be reclaimed by those who carried out feasibility studies etc? ;)

£46 Million at Springs Branch Depot got us a half a dozen or so electrified sidings with concrete servicing bays , lighting etc, a carriage cleaning machine and a new headshunt 4 coaches long with a double crossover. No connections or signalling to existing running lines was required - it was all already in place and working. The work is nearly complete, and I'm not knocking it - welcome investment.

As already said,  million quid doesn't buy a lot these days. (Great crested newt survey !!)

Brit 15

1 hour ago, APOLLO said:

As already said,  million quid doesn't buy a lot these days. (Great crested newt survey !!)

Don't forget that the possible roosting places for bats will also have to be checked.

I am sure that there are other worthy causes waiting in the wings to take a share.

Bernard

• Like 1

Bats, newts, invasive non native plant species, etc mentioned in this report. i wonder how much money was wasted on it.

https://www.whitcher-wildlife.co.uk/projects/wigan-springs-branch/

I believe David Attenborough is to make a several part programme. It'll make a change for him  not having to fly around the world.

I wonder if the locals will eat him alive !!!!!!!

brit15

• Like 1

In other news, Worzel Gummidge promises every home in Britain will have freshly buttered toast and a fresh pot of tea, delivered to their front door, every morning at 8.00am...completely FREE !

So here it is, Merry Xmas
Everybody's having fun
Look to the future now
It's only just begun......

• Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 1

2 hours ago, APOLLO said:

Bats, newts, invasive non native plant species, etc mentioned in this report. i wonder how much money was wasted on it.

https://www.whitcher-wildlife.co.uk/projects/wigan-springs-branch/

brit15

A few tens of £thousands, if that. Great VoxPop (previously aka Bloke down the Pub) to blame environmental issues on such schemes. In reality, it amounts to next to S0d All, compared to the total costs.

On top of which, it's the Law.

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

10 hours ago, Mike Storey said:

Wasn’t the signal box and junction at Poulton-Le-Fylde only closed recently as part of the electrification of the Blackpool line?

I suspect if we remain in the EU there will be funds available for all sorts of things. Didn't the EU recently give NR a grant of £60m to resignal Cornwall? 

As for re-opening, back in 1973 when I became a guard at Rickmansworth, they were talking about extnding from Ricky to Watford Junction using the Watford-Ricky branch. It needed a bit of new track and a bridge. Here we are 45 years later and although work has started, it has ground to a halt because of arguments over who should pay for it. In the time it's taken to plan and build a couple of miles of track, France and Germany have built entire high speed networks. Says it all really.

• Like 3
  • Agree 6
  • Friendly/supportive 1

Would £10 per mile be a realistic figure for cross country line re-opening where the old infrastructure is still intact – based on Edinburgh-Galashiels? Not counting the money spent on 'consultants' etc...

Edited by wagonman

2 minutes ago, wagonman said:

Would £10 per mile be a realistic figure for cross country line re-opening where the old infrastructure is still intact – based on Edinburgh-Galashiels? Not counting the money spent on 'consultants' etc...

At £10 per mile we could reopen everything!

£10m per mile may be a ball park. 

• Agree 1
  • Funny 1