Bachmann headcode box 24

robertcwp

Right first I’m sorry I posted up my article and infringed copyright 

if the admin had told me why that would have helped the matter

i only posted to help others who fancy doing a conversion 

as seen, I taken so much flak to the point of “breaking the law”

it’s also done me couple of things never to post any advice or help anyone again on here and also ask admin to remove my membership as I truly do not need this sort of (edited: swearing) in my life 

• Administrators
36 minutes ago, roomey said:

if the admin had told me why that would have helped the matter

As I said, the hiding was automatic.You breached the rules that you signed up for posting copyright material. Sorry, but we can't provide a 24/7/365 admin service and watch every single post as it's written in case the poster has decided to break the fairly simple rules. To do that would require moderating each and every post which would pretty quickly annoy everyone else.

39 minutes ago, roomey said:

it’s also done me couple of things never to post any advice or help anyone again on here and also ask admin to remove my membership as I truly do not need this sort of (edited: swearing) in my life 

If you want to flounce off then that's fine. I'm not going to waste my Boxing Day removing your profile though. If you don't like the rules you signed up for, don't come on to RMweb. It's only "in your life" if you want it to be.

• Thanks 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Phil Parker said:

Most work is sold on a First Serial Rights basis - you hand over copyright to the magazine for them to publish. Once they have, you get it back. In the world of on-line publishing, the lines get blurred a bit and some will now insist that they get to publish on the web too. Each publisher is different in this regard. However, if someone has paid you for your work, is it fair to almost immediately give it away for free?

What you don't own is the design and layout, that's the publishers intellectual property. Nor do you own the article as it appeared after editing. You own your original version.

As someone who still does a bit of freelancing, I'm a bit extra-sensitive about people ripping off copyright. My feeling is that the articles I write are my job. I deserve to get paid for it and so do other authors. If you are well off enough that you can give away all your work (whatever it is) for free, congratulations.

Sorry to go a bit OT but how does it work with people who sell layout stories for more than one magazine to feature? 

• Administrators
Just now, russ p said:

Sorry to go a bit OT but how does it work with people who sell layout stories for more than one magazine to feature? 

Once the article has been published then normally the copyright on the original words (not the photos, these are normally taken by the mag so they keep copyright on those) reverts to the author. They could just send the same piece to another magazine who could publish an identical set of words. In reality, authors re-work the words for each magazine because we all see each others issues and would spot anyone trying to pass off an identical piece and request a re-write or carry it out in-house. Each mag has a different style so simply writing once and selling several times won't work. Worse, if anyone tries it, this will be remembered when they next pop-up with a pitch.

Layout articles normally start with an approach to the owner by the mag so we've a better idea what we are getting in to. Layouts do approach magazines though and in theory, one owner could pitch to all the mags. However, we normally find out that this is happening and then talk to each other to avoid clashes. That benefits no-one so we'll all try to avoid it.

• Informative/Useful 5

• Moderators
1 hour ago, roomey said:

ask admin to remove my membership as I truly do not need this sort of (edited: swearing) in my life 

And I'm not that impressed with flouncing when I'm having a family afternoon but I will remove access so that Phil and I have to put up with a little less **** in our lives too.

2 minutes ago, AY Mod said:

And I'm not that impressed with flouncing when I'm having a family afternoon but I will remove access so that Phil and I have to put up with a little less **** in our lives too.

And that leaves his Avatar bouncing across our screens which will brighten up Porcy's day.

20 minutes ago, D1051 said:

Will be interesting to see if the unique D5153 with its yellow/orange warning panel

That would be unique. Unique as in unique to a model only.

D5153 had the part fluorescent yellow panels whereas it was D5159 that had the part orange vinyl experimental panel applied.

P

Getting back to roof headcode box 24s, I have been struggling to find photos of any of the LMR batch in blue with pre-TOPS numbers and valancing removed, but retaining the original headcode box style (several gained winged ones as on 25/1s). The best I have done so far is two photos of 5140 in the old Bradford Barton 'Diesels on Midland Region', an image of 5145 on Flickr and one of 5135 in my own collection:

2347877091_d3193c4642_z.jpg5135_WestonRhyn_1974_m by Robert Carroll, on Flickr

What I would really like is one that looks like this, but I don't see much hope of Bachmann doing one, as they don't seem to like pre-TOPS blue diesels as they tend not to sell well:

2168696245_8bbe71f7a1_z.jpgD5146_Derby_17-3-68 by Robert Carroll, on Flickr

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold
14 minutes ago, robertcwp said:

Getting back to roof headcode box 24s, I have been struggling to find photos of any of the LMR batch in blue with pre-TOPS numbers and valancing removed, but retaining the original headcode box style (several gained winged ones as on 25/1s). The best I have done so far is two photos of 5140 in the old Bradford Barton 'Diesels on Midland Region', an image of 5145 on Flickr and one of 5135 in my own collection:

What I would really like is one that looks like this, but I don't see much hope of Bachmann doing one, as they don't seem to like pre-TOPS blue diesels as they tend not to sell well:

I didn't realise they didn't sell well. I do green and pre tops blue but as you know there aren't many of them 

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

On 24/12/2019 at 09:32, russ p said:

Aye but its covered with a board!

Ah but did anyone really care back then??

The headcode lamps were not visible in daylight?

They were barely visible in the dark and only served so the signalman could read the headcode not to illuminate anything in front of the train.

Even today headlights are not there for the driver to be able to see but so that our colleagues on the track have a chance of seeing us coming, they certainly cant hear us anymore. When its foggy we can see more with the headlights off due to the light reflecting back off the mist but we are not allowed to run like that for obvious reasons.

Edited by royaloak
remove unintended 'abruptness'.
  • Like 1
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
1 minute ago, royaloak said:

And?

Do you honestly think the headcode lamps were visible in daylight?

They were barely visible in the dark and only served so the signalman could read the headcode not to illuminate anything in front of the train.

No I dont think they are visible in daylight but they do serve as front end markers so during darkness and in tunnels it would require an oil headlamp 

Just now, russ p said:

No I dont think they are visible in daylight but they do serve as front end markers so during darkness and in tunnels it would require an oil headlamp 

Today yes but back then nobody bothered that much and a bardic in the windscreen would probably have sufficed.

24 minutes ago, russ p said:

I didn't realise they didn't sell well. I do green and pre tops blue but as you know there aren't many of them 

When I asked someone from Bachmann a year or two ago about that era, they said it didn't sell well. Same goes for green with full yellow ends.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
19 minutes ago, robertcwp said:

When I asked someone from Bachmann a year or two ago about that era, they said it didn't sell well. Same goes for green with full yellow ends.

But keeps us modelling Robert!

• Like 2
  • Agree 3

• RMweb Gold
34 minutes ago, royaloak said:

Today yes but back then nobody bothered that much and a bardic in the windscreen would probably have sufficed.

Even back then they would have put an oil lamp on a bracket 

• RMweb Gold
23 minutes ago, robertcwp said:

It's sad really as a lot of modellers dont model transition it's as if all locos were painted blue on one day and steam finished in one day

• Agree 4

A question for those that have bought this model.

Are the fuel/water tanks now separate mouldings? As in separate from each other and separate from the lower body skirts/valances unlike the early Bachmann Class 24.

Tia

P

• RMweb Gold
4 hours ago, robertcwp said:

Indeed, i thought of changing a green 24 to have full yellow ends. A complicating factor is changing it to the later exhaust, which should be possible.

Indeed - see 5234 on this thread 

Some of the others are still wrong but no more work on them until the Heljan one arrives....

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, robertcwp said:

That's a shame really as I quite like my 20, 25 and 47 which are in in green with full yellow end but with tops numbers.

I had hoped to see a 08 in green with tops number.

I also like blue with pre tops D number, im sure ive got a least a few of those, tho mostly Heljan - a class 26 being the last one I got

6 hours ago, robertcwp said:

Even with the 'standard' full yellow ends, it is interesting to note the different treatments at buffer beam level between these two locos.

• RMweb Gold
13 hours ago, robertcwp said:

My father used to administer a Railway enthusiast club in the 1960’s.

shed bunked around the country, went everywhere. I still have much of their sightings.

He said in 1969 membership dropped 2/3rds.

The 1970’s were a very low interest time for enthusiasts, he still kept logs and sightings, but far less.

I think the turning point for resurgence was pending retirement of the Westerns / class 55’s which was a wake up call.

• Informative/Useful 1