Hornby 2020 range announcements

I'm a little confused. And sorry if this has already been mentioned. In 2008 Hornby released R2688 LNER Class A4 Sir Nigel Gresley Limited Edition 70 Years Of Hornby. I may not have an A level in maths but its only been 12 years since then so Hornby is 82 this year 

7 minutes ago, Philip Jackson said:

I'm a little confused. And sorry if this has already been mentioned. In 2008 Hornby released R2688 LNER Class A4 Sir Nigel Gresley Limited Edition 70 Years Of Hornby. I may not have an A level in maths but its only been 12 years since then so Hornby is 82 this year 

That was 70 years of Hornby Dublo. Hornby Dublo was launched in 1938 with the release of an A4 Sir Nigel Gresley. The first Hornby train set of all (in coarse scale O gauge) was released in 1920. Hence 100 years of Hornby Trains.

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1
On 17/11/2020 at 15:14, 3rd Rail Exile said:

Sorry if this has been updated previously, but I couldn't find it in this thread...

The green BG (R4982) that I've just received from Hattons on pre-order (Hattons seem to have got their delivery later than some others) is numbered S81289, depite (as you say) being advertised as S84289 (and appearing as such on Hattons' invoice).  

I presume this is correct...

From foggy memory I seem to recall that some BG's were renumbered (into the 84xxx series) either very late 70's or early 80's.

This would tend to indicate Hornby have sidestepped a potential pitfall.

Happy to be confirmed or corrected, just posting on memory and would need to reference some old Platform5 books in the loft to be more sure.

The Southern Region had no allocated BGs, and hence none were painted green, until 1963.

I had assumed, [possibly*] wrongly, that the small final lot of new-build, 81613-81628* (see below), were the vehicles involved. The one Hornby are doing was built in 1957 so would have been a transfer-in.

AFAIK all BGs were originally numbered in the 80xxx and 81xxx series, and renumbering into the 84xxx block came later, possibly arising from the removal of guard accommodation.

John

* Some rooting around in the appendices of Parkin disproves my earlier opinion. The vehicles in question being allocated new to the LMR. Thus all the ones received by the Southern would have been second-hand.

Edited by Dunsignalling
Correction / addition
  • Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1
12 hours ago, Philip Jackson said:

I noticed that too. It didn’t bother me enough to investigate. Most of these anniversary editions pass me by because I regard them as charging a bit extra for the same model. I like vanilla and I like vanilla models.

• Like 3
  • Agree 1
On 20/11/2020 at 11:54, No Decorum said:

I noticed that too. It didn’t bother me enough to investigate. Most of these anniversary editions pass me by because I regard them as charging a bit extra for the same model. I like vanilla and I like vanilla models.

Same here. It annoys me when they release a "celebrity" loco without having released a bog standard, middle of the batch un-named one is what I crave- it's not a special occasion every day on my railway!

• Agree 1
  • RMweb Gold
On 20/11/2020 at 11:54, No Decorum said:

Hornby began with O Gauge (Now 100 years old) and with H-Dublo in 1938, therefore, both anniversaries were/are correct. 

• Agree 1
  • RMweb Gold
On 22/11/2020 at 14:40, john new said:

Hornby began with O Gauge (Now 100 years old) and with H-Dublo in 1938, therefore, both anniversaries were/are correct. 

Pretty soon they will be able to have annual 50th anniversaries of the toolings too.

Edited by adb968008
  • Funny 7

I've just had a look on Hatton's and they now list the newly tooled 2020 products being released between April and July 2021 weather this a rough estimate and they will arrive earlier who knows. from what I saw the BR Class 91s are now due in May 2021,  LNER W1s originals and rebuilt are now expected April 2021.  The BR Standard 2MT Class locos are now due between May and June 2021. The BR Class 370 APT-Ps are now due in July 2021. also a lot of the relieved reintroduced locos from the 2020 range and rolling stock which are also now due between mid 2021.  understandably these are only estimates there is also a few from the 2019 range still yet to come. obviously they have their reasons more demand etc reasons a lot of modifications etc are required to the 2MTs as mentioned in last months engine shed also from Septembers Engine Shed the APT-P also needs modifications as mentioned closer fitting parts etc and I would  rather see the new products delayed for as long as is required for "ironing things out"  and for which ever other reasons Hornby have, before they are all finalised and going into final production. 

Edited by RyanN91
missed information.
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 2
On 20/11/2020 at 10:04, Dunsignalling said:

AFAIK all BGs were originally numbered in the 80xxx and 81xxx series, and renumbering into the 84xxx block came later, possibly arising from the removal of guard accommodation.

John

Indeed. 81289 is the correct number for operation in BR(S) green in the 60s. The renumbering of the 81xxx series to 84xxx was to avoid different vehicles (locos, MUs, coaches, NPCCS) from carrying the same number. 81xxx clashed with Class 81 electrics and since the Class 84s had already been withdrawn, that number series was used. Can't remember when the renumbering started but it has already been covered on RMWeb elsewhere.

• Thanks 1
On 23/08/2020 at 17:52, RyanN91 said:

Thanks for that! Finally they have used the correct tooling! In 2014 they ballsed up the IC Executive livery BR MK3 buffet carriage. They used the same tooling for the standard open coach and 1st class coach and the same for the BR MK3 INTERCITY swallow BR MK3 buffet cars in 2018.

Solving the issue with the terrible interiors on the R40003 series Intercity Swallow Mk3 coaches released a couple of months ago, I found the best method of installing those replacement interiors on eBay was to leave the single round seat unit locating peg in place and drill a 3mm hole in the replacement interior using the old one as a guide- means it cannot shuffle about and stays in right place when body slotted back on. Step boards and handrails into black, the central door locking release handle into the right place, the awful brilliant white rubbing plates and vestibule doors painted over and a little weathering of the underframe and you end up with a coach that I'm happy with at least!

Modified Hornby coach v2.jpg

Modified Hornby coach.jpg

• Like 6
15 hours ago, fiftyfour fiftyfour said:

Solving the issue with the terrible interiors on the R40003 series Intercity Swallow Mk3 coaches released a couple of months ago, I found the best method of installing those replacement interiors on eBay was to leave the single round seat unit locating peg in place and drill a 3mm hole in the replacement interior using the old one as a guide- means it cannot shuffle about and stays in right place when body slotted back on. Step boards and handrails into black, the central door locking release handle into the right place, the awful brilliant white rubbing plates and vestibule doors painted over and a little weathering of the underframe and you end up with a coach that I'm happy with at least!

Wow they look fantastic. Are they just 3D printed versions? Perfect fit? 

• Like 1
18 hours ago, fiftyfour fiftyfour said:

They have indeed come out very well. Hope you like them.

• Like 1
9 hours ago, Hilux5972 said:

Wow they look fantastic. Are they just 3D printed versions? Perfect fit? 

Yes, 3D printed. The lovely "MGR Hopper" kindly did an excellent job designing them and they have come out very well, when installed in the coach they look spot on and exceeded my expectations. Small declaration- on the Hornby ones they do fit but I found it best to just shave a little area off around the six body locating clips so that they don't pop up above the clips on one side whilst clipping the bodyshell back onto the chassis causing the interior to sit slightly higher on one side, but that was just me being fussy. Shameless plug- still available whilst stock last; ebay item # 184545028334 or just search "Mk3 interior Lima" or "Mk3 interior Hornby".

• Like 2