Please use M,M&M only for topics that do not fit within other forum areas. All topics posted here await admin team approval to ensure they don't belong elsewhere.

New Years resolutions 2020

Kris

• RMweb Premium

Welcome to a new decade and a new modelling year. Did you achieve your modelling ambitions for last year? I didn't but it did do me good to set some as it made me think what I wanted to do.

So with that in mind, what are your modelling resolutions for 2020.

Mine are.

To complete the track work on Coombe viaduct's extension.

To extend the track work to complete a full loop to allow for continuous running. 

To run a train on Avonwick again. 

To build the baseboards for my children's  lego railway.

To add more scenery to my children's 00 gauge layout. 

There, let's see what I achieve in the coming year.

Over to you. 

• Like 3

Well, this time last year my resolutions were to get the track laid and complete the basic scenery on my W&U themed shunting plank. In reality, I've got the track laid! So my resolution for 2020, is, obviously, to get the scenery done.

Also, now that I've taken the plunge into DCC, another ambition is to keep chipping away with more locos, even the ones that I won't need for the current project, so that as and when I do get the loft roundy-roundy under way everything will run on it without needing to switch between different controllers.

Non-modelling, but still rail-related, ambitions include finally going for a trip on the Settle and Carlisle, and/or some other of the UK's classic scenic routes.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

My first resolution for 2020 is to make my resolution more realistic.

My second resolution is the same as 2018 and 2019 ie to get my shed finished and start my model railway.

Given the nearly compete status of my shed, I have fulfilled my first resolution already and 2020 hasn't even started yet. ;)

• Like 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1

3 hours ago, MarkSG said:

Also, now that I've taken the plunge into DCC, another ambition is to keep chipping away with more locos, even the ones that I won't need for the current project, so that as and when I do get the loft roundy-roundy under way everything will run on it without needing to switch between different controllers.

This will just happen.

It will not be long before you decide to chip a loco you've not run for ages, then find it already has one which you never remembered fitting.

As for me? Probably to make more use of my underused airbrushes!

A more basic objective is to keep enjoying the hobby, both at home & at the club.

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold

Can't recall what I resolved to do last year but having now (and 18 months after first moving in) painted the loft and cleared it of general junk -- 

loft.jpg.2ffed6bec44d2ff58fe465707ea00ec0.jpg

-- my resolution for this year is to get the baseboards set up and lay some track so I can do some modelling and run some trains... 

I have a plan of sorts:

1556317175_loftlayoutplan.jpg.461b2ecb6660e611ee4fb2bb534d3a62.jpg

and thoughts for creating a decent stretch of track to run my LMS Pacifics...

1800603756_Golborne25inchwith1220footscale192inches.jpg.663f4471436f9b45778d2739dca9ba97.jpg

Time will tell.

Happy New Year folks!

cheers

Keith

• Like 3

Clear out the stock box and stop buying things on a whim for the maybe layout. Just stick to the 3 interests. Need to concentrate efforts

Maybe build something

Make some space to build something.

Andy

• Like 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• 11 months later...
  • RMweb Premium
On 31/12/2019 at 07:03, Kris said:

Welcome to a new decade and a new modelling year. Did you achieve your modelling ambitions for last year? I didn't but it did do me good to set some as it made me think what I wanted to do.

So with that in mind, what are your modelling resolutions for 2020.

Mine are.

To complete the track work on Coombe viaduct's extension.

To extend the track work to complete a full loop to allow for continuous running. 

To run a train on Avonwick again. 

To build the baseboards for my children's  lego railway.

To add more scenery to my children's 00 gauge layout. 

There, let's see what I achieve in the coming year.

Over to you. 

Hmmm, well we are 364 days on from the 1st of January, so how have I done??? 

The track work on Coombe viaducts extension is nearly finished. I'm happy with that.

The full loop, hmmm, no progress here other than getting to the "thinking about it stage and the pencil on paper rough planning stage".

To run a train on Avonwick. Maybe tomorrow...

Baseboards - no hope with this, no space. 

To add more scenery - Now this I have done, lots more. Very happy about this part. 

Over to you - How did you do with your resolutions? 

Well, I've done a basic scenic treatment of the layout and completed the conversion to DCC. I've also built a couple of wagon kits, and modified some rolling stock that I bought via eBay. But progress has been slow, and I really need to get back into the swing of things.

My non-modelling resolutions that I mentioned this time last year have gone unfulfilled, for fairly obvious reasons.

• Like 1

On 31/12/2019 at 19:42, SM42 said:

Clear out the stock box and stop buying things on a whim for the maybe layout. Just stick to the 3 interests. Need to concentrate efforts

Maybe build something

Make some space to build something.

Andy

Well I started the clear out. 

Stuff got to the departure lounge and then their flight was cancelled 

Make space.

I started and then the tips were closed. Effort stalled as other things took priority

Build something? 

Maybe next year

Andy

• Friendly/supportive 1