The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Formula 1, 2020

Andrew P

3 hours ago, Hobby said:

Looks like they are going to postpone the Chinese GP

And it looks unlikely that it will be possible to reschedule it.  The Vietnam GP may also be becoming doubtful.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/formula1/51471569

https://www.theguardian.com/sport/2020/feb/12/f1-chinese-gp-set-to-be-called-off-due-to-coronavirus-with-vietnam-race-at-risk

• Agree 2

49 minutes ago, Chameleon said:

They have just announced the Chinese GP is postponed. Until when, is anyone's guess. Also the Vietnam one could be dodgy as it is only 100 miles from the Chinese border.

If the borders in the region go into lock down, it puts the Singapore GP into doubt also, no?

I think if I were a out of necessity travelling employee of an F1 team, I'd be, if not reluctant to travel, concerned that adequate measures were in place to contain the threat. And let's face it, is the circus doing the rounds in the Far East the right thing to do from a PR point of view? 

I'm aware a caravan of fans attend multiple races on the European rounds and wouldn't be surprised if the same happens in the Far East. 

I'm not suggesting locked gates no spectator races BTW (though it's a possibility), just idle minding. Thoughts? 

C6T. 

• Like 2

11 hours ago, Mike Storey said:

Definitely a darker red. I wonder why that is?

Is it not the same as last year? My first thought was that the car is virtually identical to last year.

Early in 2019, Ferrari said that the matt paint is lighter weight than gloss paint, hence them using it.

Jo

• Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

8 hours ago, Steadfast said:

Well that's boring after the lovely blue red and silver they've run the last few years

Jo

I thought the same actually, and as I said some time back, the commentators will be having fun.

And the Alfa passes the Alpha into the corner, with the other Alpha's coming out of the Pits, will he under cut the other Alfa?:(:unsure:

• Funny 6

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Andrew P said:

I said some time back, the commentators will be having fun.

And the Alfa passes the Alpha into the corner, with the other Alpha's coming out of the Pits, will he under cut the other Alfa?:(:unsure:

Thank God Murray has retired!

• Agree 1
  • Funny 6

On 14/02/2020 at 10:26, Bill Radford said:

The rear looks higher than last year's - that could be a bad omen for the other teams - even more downforce!

They're saying that they've found more downforce for less drag!

If that's the case, and the other teams haven't done something similar, they look like a shoe in for another championship double. Time will tell.

• Like 1
  • Agree 3

Whatever the Merc car may be like, I expect the usual pre-season sandbagging, test running the car with full fuel load. Nothing like getting as much information as possible about the car in 'worst case' condition. Expect excitable journalists all banging on 'ooh. it's slower than the Red Bull and the Ferrari, and barely a match for the McLaren and Renault'.

• Funny 4

• RMweb Gold

The limited regs changes for 2020 are such that it is unlikely any of the leading teams will go seriously faster or slower relative to last year. But Merc have been working on better cooling, after too many iffy temperatures last year, so may be able to perform better under certain conditions. And those whose aerodynamic package in 2019 was less than optimal may have started again. Merc's dominance of this formula is said to be boring, but watching the antics of the wannabes is anything but! And Max and Charles are certain to be giving 110% again. Much to look forward to, I think.  

• Like 1
  • Agree 7