The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Formula 1, 2020

Andrew P

• RMweb Gold
24 minutes ago, Pete the Elaner said:

When such an advantage is achieved so suddenly, it is only natural to draw suspicion & incur extra scrutiny.

agreed, 

a long time ago my mate raced motorbikes at National level, first year his bike was stock and over the winter we had the engine blueprinted and we stripped the chassis, removing all extraneous weight (new custom loom, not easy with a Japanese manual, in Japanese!). He got a third in his first outing at Mallory Park.

Scrutineers pulled his engine and carbs to bits to check it was complaint. 

They didn't spot the tiny battery and lack of starter motor/alternator though .......

• Like 3
  • Informative/Useful 1

6 hours ago, Chrisr40 said:

sorry to be picky but it was 2005

Apologies, a simple error - I had it in my head that it was 15 years ago, and then mistakenly typed the 15 as part of the actual year.  Oopsy!

Edited by ejstubbs
  • Friendly/supportive 2

20 hours ago, Chrisr40 said:

hardly Ferraris fault that the tyres chosen by the non Bridgestone shod teams were not fit for purpose.

True, but any decent team would have stuck with the rest and not raced. Instead they took the advantage and grabbed the points... Even then they only finished third in the Constructors Championship and made the sport a laughing stock in the process. To be fair i blame the FIA equally, they could have pulled the race, if Ferarri had refused to race I suspect they would have done but what happened only added fuel to the F. I. A. conspiracy theories...

• Agree 2

16 minutes ago, Hobby said:

True, but any decent team would have stuck with the rest and not raced. Instead they took the advantage and grabbed the points... Even then they only finished third in the Constructors Championship and made the sport a laughing stock in the process. To be fair i blame the FIA equally, they could have pulled the race, if Ferarri had refused to race I suspect they would have done but what happened only added fuel to the F. I. A. conspiracy theories...

And the other two teams who raced that day so that the crowd had something to watch and didn't feel as ripped off by F1 in a country where they are used to entertaining motorsport ? 

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
9 minutes ago, Chrisr40 said:

i do wonder if all this Ferrari bashing will stop when the predicted move of Hamilton to the Scuderia takes place

Why would he go there? Two illustrious predecessors, Alonso and Vettel, have gone there full of hope of becoming Schumacher, only to discover that the team today is often less than the sum of the parts. 

• Agree 8

11 hours ago, Andrew P said:

Re my Post above, if there is a Race, but not a Championship Race, will the Teams risk using up valuable components for no reward?

Stick all the drivers out in Ford fiesta instead then we can see which one is really the best....like they used to do in the days of prost and senna. Yes I am an old fart.

• Like 3

Just now, Oldddudders said:

Why would he go there? Two illustrious predecessors, Alonso and Vettel, have gone there full of hope of becoming Schumacher, only to discover that the team today is often less than the sum of the 

He has indicated he wants to finish his career there.

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, Chrisr40 said:

And the other two teams who raced that day so that the crowd had something to watch and didn't feel as ripped off by F1 in a country where they are used to entertaining motorsport ? 

They were the only other teams using the same tyres as Ferrari from what I remember. Had Ferarri done the decent thing and not raced so would they... Gave both teams some decent points, though... As for "Ferrari bashing" the blame for that fiasco also rested with the tyre manufacturer, though once the issues became apparent the FIA could have tried to do something, but they didn't... Of course it could be just co-incidence that Ferrari were the main benefactors of the fiasco, but there's been too many co-incidences like that over the years.

Perhaps if all teams were treated equally we wouldn't need to point out the favouritism of the FIA towards one team... It's not called "bashing" btw, it's called a "reality check"! ;)

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

22 hours ago, Pete the Elaner said:

True, but the point being made is that the tyres need to be tested in Zandvoort, not Barcelona.

The point I was making was that Pirelli are aware that a different tyre is required and have done something about it rather than wait till we get there like Michelin.

• Like 2

????New posts within a short time frame are limited. Please wait 51 seconds before submitting.????

If the post had disappeared when I saved it there would not be this multiple to edit!!

Edited by Bill Radford
  • Friendly/supportive 1

57 minutes ago, Hobby said:

They were the only other teams using the same tyres as Ferrari from what I remember. Had Ferarri done the decent thing and not raced so would they

We will have to agree to disagree it's not worth falling out over:D. Would have been fab to have seen a minardi ( I think or maybe Jordan...its a long time ago) win at Indianapolis.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Oldddudders said:

Why would he go there? Two illustrious predecessors, Alonso and Vettel, have gone there full of hope of becoming Schumacher, only to discover that the team today is often less than the sum of the parts. 

I have often said the same.

Rumours of any move are at this stage just trash talk.

The only person to make sensible statement about it was Toto Wolff when he said the best team wants the best driver & the best driver wants the best car. If Mercedes want Hamilton to re-sign, then it is up to them to prove they can keep building the best car. Their winter work has suggested they can do this, but the proof will be with their 2020 results.

1 person had made a difference at Ferrari over the last 30 years: Jean Todt. He created the environment for Brawn & Schumacher. He took about 5 years to turn things around to his way

He is the only foreigner to ever be in charge at Ferrari. The directors didn't seem to like this & they were constantly fighting an internal political battle within the team about how to run things.

Ferrari directors eventually got their way when Todt left at the beginning of the season in which Raikkonen won the championship.

Since then, they have been pulling the strings with Domenicali, Arrivabene & now Binotto running things, but kept under closer control than Todt ever was.

In this time, Ferrari have consistently been second best to McLaren, Brawn, Red Bull & now Mercedes.

With this track record, I don't see why anyone would consider a Ferrari contract as their best chance of becoming world champion.

• Like 2
  • Agree 5

But I think it's a heart decision not a head decision. Why did Alesi go to Ferrari and not William's when William's were dominant....because whether you like them or not Ferrari are special to a lot of people and to a lot of racing drivers too.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Chrisr40 said:

But I think it's a heart decision not a head decision. Why did Alesi go to Ferrari and not William's when William's were dominant....because whether you like them or not Ferrari are special to a lot of people and to a lot of racing drivers too.

Indeed they are & they have often paid the highest wages. I've always felt them being viewed as special was a bit strange.

As for Alesi, I am not sure he was given the chance to drive for Williams. He was a promising driver who never seemed to get the results his talent seemed to deserve.

Ferrari have always paid amongst the highest wages & his parents were from Sicily, so he was well liked by the Italians.

he won 1 race throughout his entire career; in his last season at Ferrari.

During his time at Ferrari, Williams drivers included Prost, Senna & Mansell. The first 2 were already World Champions before they drone for WIlliams. Mansell was originally signed as a No2 to Piquet & quickly established himself as a WC contender.

McLaren was the other big team at the time, firstly with Senna, then they signed Mansell. Berger was a solid driver, winning his fair share of races for them.

How could Alesi compete with those? May as well get paid more for driving for the next best.

• Agree 2

Hi Pete, I watched him (Alesi) through F3000 and I think like Johnny Herbert he was a wasted F1champion. There are some interesting videos on youtube about how he was poised to sign for William's before going for Ferrari. 

• Like 1