Hornby APT (2020 tooling)

PaulRhB

26 minutes ago, adb968008 said:

In the pre-Brexit days Manufacturers would air freight stuff in, to be in time for Warley and Christmas.

I wonder why manufacturers are so keen to have stock of new products available just before Christmas. It’s a time of year when my railway spending is curtailed by the need to buy presents for little people. I dare say there are many in the same position as I am. Judging by some of the comments on here, very few wives are supportive, understanding or even resigned.

I don't want to burst peoples bubbles, but the UK delivery date is now looking to be late February/March.:huh:

Makes you wonder how their retailers keep faith with them, let alone the general public.

Just for the record I have the 7 car set on order, and have had the new anticipated delivery confirmed by my retailer and via another source on the web, not Hornby.

Edited by Nodrog1826
missing letters

1 hour ago, Nodrog1826 said:

I don't want to burst peoples bubbles, but the UK delivery date is now looking to be late February/March.:huh:

Makes you wonder how their retailers keep faith with them, let alone the general public.

Just for the record I have the 7 car set on order, and have had the new anticipated delivery confirmed by my retailer and via another source on the web, not Hornby.

at this point, im expecting Hornby to quietly cancel the model and to recall the coach packs and ndms

• Funny 1

• RMweb Gold
4 hours ago, No Decorum said:

I wonder why manufacturers are so keen to have stock of new products available just before Christmas. It’s a time of year when my railway spending is curtailed by the need to buy presents for little people. I dare say there are many in the same position as I am. Judging by some of the comments on here, very few wives are supportive, understanding or even resigned.

Warley can be a big sales day for many retailers, but the run to christmas does bring a lot of present purchases. Some releases have appeared and been pre-sold / sold out over that weekend alone.

Whilst December 2021 wasn’t a big Hornby month, it was for others…Ive received the Precedent, Caley, BBA and Sfins in the last 30 days….Bachmanns also offered up a new 47, 150/1 and 150/2… so quite a lot has shown.

It's a little frustrating having 8 intermediate cars now and waiting a few months for the rest. A reverse of the old APT set! But then we've been waiting for decades for someone to do decent mk3s for the HST!

As for spending, this last year mine was split half and half between my model railway interests and my medieval re-enactment interests (my mistake taking a woman who loves medieval re-enactment to medieval fairs and her having me spend money dressing me up like a medieval lord or king!).

Hornby might not have expected this one, but swords are serious competition to model locos!

Edited by JSpencer
  • Like 1

• RMweb Gold
5 hours ago, Nodrog1826 said:

Hornby are far from alone in delayed releases so don't single them out. go look in the AS section, all their loco releases have been delayed, some by some time but not a single moan, give them all break.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, No Decorum said:

because the majority of modellers are 40 plus men with disposable income , who buy new products just before christmas as presents for themselves !

• Agree 1

I have had to cancel several pre-orders with a large retailer with subsequent loss of the deposit paid due new releases slated for a late 2021 release being shifted back to around April/May 2022 with no advance notice.  One manufacturer stated that his new locomotive release had been delayed until "after Christmas".  I realised that if the loco was not put into production before the end of the year then it would be April 2022 at the earliest before seeing in the retail store.  Finally,  the manufacturer admitted that "after Christmas" actually meant mid-2022.  If the manufacturer had been more,  shall we say informative,  as to what "after Christmas" meant then I would not have placed a pre-order with subsequent loss of deposit.

In my circumstance I am selling my home early next year and thus around April 2022 I have no idea what my postal address will be.  I could be living in a motel until I am able to purchase another home.  Given that postage times downunder vary between one to four weeks then obviously a retailer needs a confirmed address to send orders to.  Given that there has been no further release information on the KR Models Fell then that may well be another pre-order deposit that I will lose. 

I have now lost faith in manufacturer delivery dates and so will not pre-order another model.  When a manufacturer slates a Christmas delivery date then essentially the model must be intransit at least eight weeks prior Christmas.   When a manufacturer states an "after Christmas" delivery date and they are still two months away from Christmas and the model is still undergoing further development before even production can commence,  then common sense makes a further six months delay before release a reality.   A manufacturer cannot accurately predict a release date but given that he may be aware of when the production run will commence,  he will have a fairly accurate idea of an actual release date to market within a range of several weeks.  When "after Christmas" becomes mid-2022 and the model is not even approved for production as yet,  is mid-2022 a realistic deadline?

• RMweb Premium
39 minutes ago, Ducking Giraffe said:

hi

Does anyone know where  they have a R3948 ndm in stock, they seem to have sold out everywhere... I've got a 7 car set on order but would like to beef it up a bit!

cheers!

Steve

Antics online are showing 2 in the warehouse and Olivias Trains are showing in stock too. 

8 hours ago, Nodrog1826 said:

I just looked up the coming soon page at Hornby and the jan/feb releases are gone, the rest are March onward and the apt’s don’t show at all, but the apt page still says winter 21/22?

9 hours ago, Bigeddie said:

I just looked up the coming soon page at Hornby and the jan/feb releases are gone, the rest are March onward and the apt’s don’t show at all, but the apt page still says winter 21/22?

The release date was 31-12-21 on this retailers web site, not mine may i add, but is now this:-

https://cheltenhammodelcentre.com/train-packs/Hornby-r3874-oo-gauge-br-class-370-apt-set-370-001-370-002-7-car-pack/p-r3874

we don't really know the knock on effects of the pandemic and this production and shipping delays , although i appreciate it's a little frustrating .

im more than envious of anyone with a roundy roundy big enough to take one of these !

1 hour ago, Nodrog1826 said:

The release date was 31-12-21 on this retailers web site, not mine may i add, but is now this:-

https://cheltenhammodelcentre.com/train-packs/Hornby-r3874-oo-gauge-br-class-370-apt-set-370-001-370-002-7-car-pack/p-r3874

Hopefully thats be ause they are out of stock and expect batch 2 in March . Anyway for what its worth i have asked Hornby cust serv for an update, but they may not know much more than us!

• RMweb Premium
23 minutes ago, letterspider said:

The 7 car set sold out very quickly on pre-orders _ I couldn't find (m)any when I tried to order in October

This may be a case of Hornby extending the production run due to high demand?

Extremely unlikely - the batch production by 3rd party factories means by the time the product has gone on sale in the UK the factory will have long since moved onto other projects.

Delays in getting the entire batch over to the UK at once (and the apparent split into two deliveries) are most likely due to logistics problems rather than manufacturing ones.

• RMweb Premium
15 hours ago, jonnyuk said:

Hornby are far from alone in delayed releases so don't single them out. go look in the AS section, all their loco releases have been delayed, some by some time but not a single moan, give them all break.

Some are worth waiting for :lol:

• RMweb Premium
14 hours ago, GWR-fan said:

I have had to cancel several pre-orders with a large retailer with subsequent loss of the deposit paid due new releases slated for a late 2021 release being shifted back to around April/May 2022 with no advance notice.  One manufacturer stated that his new locomotive release had been delayed until "after Christmas".  I realised that if the loco was not put into production before the end of the year then it would be April 2022 at the earliest before seeing in the retail store.  Finally,  the manufacturer admitted that "after Christmas" actually meant mid-2022.  If the manufacturer had been more,  shall we say informative,  as to what "after Christmas" meant then I would not have placed a pre-order with subsequent loss of deposit.

In my circumstance I am selling my home early next year and thus around April 2022 I have no idea what my postal address will be.  I could be living in a motel until I am able to purchase another home.  Given that postage times downunder vary between one to four weeks then obviously a retailer needs a confirmed address to send orders to.  Given that there has been no further release information on the KR Models Fell then that may well be another pre-order deposit that I will lose. 

I have now lost faith in manufacturer delivery dates and so will not pre-order another model.  When a manufacturer slates a Christmas delivery date then essentially the model must be intransit at least eight weeks prior Christmas.   When a manufacturer states an "after Christmas" delivery date and they are still two months away from Christmas and the model is still undergoing further development before even production can commence,  then common sense makes a further six months delay before release a reality.   A manufacturer cannot accurately predict a release date but given that he may be aware of when the production run will commence,  he will have a fairly accurate idea of an actual release date to market within a range of several weeks.  When "after Christmas" becomes mid-2022 and the model is not even approved for production as yet,  is mid-2022 a realistic deadline?

Rotten situation to be in but have you considered renting/using a PO Box as a temporary alternative?

Would save you loosing deposits and enable an early position on any lists, it’s not perfect but better than missing out completely.

14 hours ago, Ducking Giraffe said:

hi

Does anyone know where  they have a R3948 ndm in stock, they seem to have sold out everywhere... I've got a 7 car set on order but would like to beef it up a bit!

cheers!

Steve

We have one left for mail order or collection depending where you are.  It’s on our website just search for R3948.