Heljan class 28

class29returns

Would the best way to get the original windows be for someone to make them in rigid clear plastic, then for people like me to enlarge the window apertures with a file?

All that's needed is a clear cast resin replacement end - 3D print the original and reproduce in resin.

The end of the Heljan model could be 3D scanned, and the resulting file modified to provide the wrap-around windows.

For those adept at such things, it should be easy, I would imagine.

Regards,

John Isherwood.

Would the best way to get the original windows be for someone to make them in rigid clear plastic, then for people like me to enlarge the window apertures with a file?

But surely anyone capable of enlarging the windows is capable of fileing some clear plastic to fit.post-1535-0-08756900-1504524498_thumb.jpg

• Like 2
  • Agree 1
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

• 2 weeks later...

It's finding a suitable curved piece of clear plastic that's the problem.

Clear plastic can be filed to rough profile, then smoothed and polished with increasingly fine emery cloth.

A coat of Klear will ensure perfect transparency.

Regards,

John Isherwood.

• 1 month later...
  • RMweb Gold

Just arrived home from a 4 day 5 country European trip to find this nice surprise on my desk...post-20773-0-26523700-1510933010_thumb.jpegpost-20773-0-75940500-1510933019_thumb.jpegpost-20773-0-91332500-1510933029_thumb.jpegpost-20773-0-55160700-1510933039_thumb.jpeg

And just for fun...post-20773-0-06547700-1510933201_thumb.jpeg

Interesting that the Hattons box is still being used for the GA release.., not a standard Heljan box.

Edited by adb968008
  • Like 5

• 1 year later...
  • RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, Michael Delamar said:

An easy modelling fix but I’ve busted a handrail and it’s gone to the floor in the clubrooms never to be seen again.

Will it be Hattons or Heljan for replacements?

many thanks.

Have you asked either of them the same question?

3 hours ago, Michael Delamar said:

An easy modelling fix but I’ve busted a handrail and it’s gone to the floor in the clubrooms never to be seen again.

many thanks.

Howes of Oxford will have replacement spures

• Agree 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Michael Delamar said:

many thanks.

Howes at Kidlington sell spare sprues, or you can use a bit of wire.

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

Afternoon all!

Just finished stripping the overly thick factory weathering with T-Cut

DSC05684.jpg.17fadeaba931be6e40045f49eea2849e.jpg

I'm looking to have my CoBo sound fitted. Could anyone recommend what is the closest sound decoder which sounds like a Class 28? Howes?

• Like 2
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Craftsmanship/clever 2

• 5 months later...
  • 3 months later...
On 24/02/2020 at 16:23, Holmesfeldian said:

It's been a bit quiet on here so here's a booster to get the conversation going again!

The Metropolitan-Vickers Type 2 Co-Bo Diesel-Electric Locomotives: From Design to Destruction

A124Pv+6iyL.jpg

This looks like it might be the definitive reference work for the Class 28 and apparently it's due for publication at the end of June. The rrp of £40 is a little steep although Amazon are currently taking pre orders for just over £30. That said, for those of us who have been Co-Bo fans for many years this book is very possibly a 'must have' and certainly a copy will be finding its way onto my bookshelf.

Regards, Cliff.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2
  • Informative/Useful 1

Well after missing both batches originally, the opportunity came up to grab a D5706 (2812) for the equivalent of about £80 from a second hand sale and so here I am. 

Although I’ve yet to give it a run, it is such a lovely model sitting still. Not something I though I’d ever say about a Class 28.

78EFBE01-AFB8-4DDA-93E2-3A440DEDE4AD.jpeg

ED9F4BD4-C5AB-4D75-9DEB-E31CF299B3D3.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

A long, long time ago....I bought two of these loco's and they sat in their boxes ever since. Having now got my layout up and running, I'm digging out boxes and fitting various decoders, so today is the first day that one of these loco's has appeared....

Who on earth designed this body/chassis combination?.....:o

In all the years I've added decoders, this one has been the worst in terms of accessibility and getting the body off the chassis, despite using all the recommended credit cards or pieces of plastic. "The body is a tight fit". That deserves an award as understatement of the year....;)

What an absolute pig to get the body off as per Bromsgrove instructions. needless to say a few bits of collateral damage with pipes etc, but they can be repaired. Lost two side windows as well, but they are all now back in place with the help of plastic weld.

However, as the body eventually came away this piece fell out. It's about 15mm across between the two holes. I've looked everywhere on the loco and all through the spare parts list to find out what it is and where it goes. No luck whatsoever. Anyone here know what it is and where it goes?

DSCF0470.jpg.6bdd8266a5931a6f32589077c06bc35f.jpg