The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

My car has been cloned

russ p

• RMweb Gold

Got a letter today from Bedford council saying I'd got a bus lane charge
Thing is was nowhere near Bedford and they sent a picture which although not great resolution clearly shows the front number plate having two black capped screws in the white area and no border to the lettering
I've reported it to Norfolk police and given an incident reference
Probably get stopped quite a bit now as gone on national database
However be on the lookout for NA03YFV, X-power grey ZT
If fellow members of the owners club wave I always wave back so if waved at and no response probably an uninsured, untaxed and more that likely untested scumbag!

• Friendly/supportive 21

• RMweb Gold
13 minutes ago, stewartingram said:

Was it the same model that it was cloned to? Could be easily found on gov.uk

Its a ZT but camera was black and white and poor resolution other than number plate 

5 minutes ago, russ p said:

That's scarey , but pictures are from the dealer.  It hasn't got to that mileage yet and is actually in better condition now

It was a search using your actual reg number, trying a search for MG ZT or  X-power grey ZT didnt throw anything up so not too much of an issue, they would need to know your actual reg no to find the picture.

Might simply be a case of them using a number plate they know is active and it just happens to be yours.

Edited by royaloak
  • Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Someone I work with recently had this happen too when some cloned her personalised plate.

She had a right battle to prove it was not her car and the number plate had been cloned but the rozzers eventually caught up with the culprits and felt their collars.

Felt sorry for her as it caused her loads of unwanted stress, hope it does not do the same to you.

• Friendly/supportive 3

• RMweb Gold
3 minutes ago, royaloak said:

It was a search using your actual reg number, trying a search for MG ZT or  X-power grey ZT didnt throw anything up so not too much of an issue, they would need to know your actual reg no to find the picture.

Might simply be a case of them using a number plate they know is active and it just happens to be yours.

I wonder if they have seen mine out and about,  it was the most popular engine and colour for a ZT.

I checked the rest of our cars and one of them came up with a picture but not of the plate and the others just a brief history 

• RMweb Gold
2 minutes ago, 08221 said:

Someone I work with recently had this happen too when some cloned her personalised plate.

She had a right battle to prove it was not her car and the number plate had been cloned but the rozzers eventually caught up with the culprits and felt their collars.

Felt sorry for her as it caused her loads of unwanted stress, hope it does not do the same to you.

Norfolk police said there shouldn't be much problem proving it wasn't me and if necessary they could track the radio sim card 

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold
1 minute ago, Chris M said:

You could balwaus buy uoirsel a cherished number from DVLA. Costs about £400.

I'd like to keep it original if possible as its basically a modern classic 

• Like 1

Happened to me, 'my van' was in a crash in Luton...driver legged it, first I heard was from my insurer...straight on to Beds Police  to get them to do a vin check, that end sorted easily, weeks of messing around with my insurer though, not my job to sort really but you end up having to.

On the flip side when my van was nicked it eventually came back to me with 3 sets of plates in it....phone call to GM Police...'Do you want these or to make a note of numbers?' Still waiting to hear back 3 years  later......

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Premium

Be worth putting a vertical piece of white insulating tape near to one end of both number plates (and take dated photos with a newspaper in the shot).  That way, and until scrote is caught, if it happens again it'll be blatantly obvious it wasn't you.  Might help if you just happened to also be in that area on that day......

• Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold
5 minutes ago, Red Devil said:

..phone call to GM Police...'Do you want these or to make a note of numbers?' Still waiting to hear back 3 years  later......

With GM Police you were lucky to get them to answer the phone call let alone any follow up.

28 minutes ago, God's Wonderful Railway 1835 said:

I know someone who this happened to a few years ago when he got a parking summons.............

I had a parking charge notice from a private clamping and removal  'parking enforcer' some years ago. I was supposed to be parked at an apartment site in Birkenhead. The DVLA had given out my details in error so I told the company that I would be quite happy to pay their charge if they still had the car as the rather nice black BMW looked much better than my old Citroen. I got a copy of the original request to the DVLA for details and the company also had a photo of the offending car so proving my innocence was easy. 

Following a complaint to the Information Commissioner the DVLA offered me a paltry £25 compensation for my inconvenience. I told them to put it in a place where there isn't any daylight.

• Like 5

There is a major issue about the security of the UK number plate system.

They should be treated like passports rather than available from countless backstreet stores, and properly secured to the vehicle.

Sweden doesnt seem to have any issues with its system for issueing plates.

• Agree 3
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold
21 minutes ago, polybear said:

Be worth putting a vertical piece of white insulating tape near to one end of both number plates (and take dated photos with a newspaper in the shot).  That way, and until scrote is caught, if it happens again it'll be blatantly obvious it wasn't you.  Might help if you just happened to also be in that area on that day......

I sent them a dated picture of my car with the number plate.  If they want to push it they can come and examine the bumper to realise the plates in the picture have never been fitted to this car

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
14 minutes ago, johnofwessex said:

There is a major issue about the security of the UK number plate system.

They should be treated like passports rather than available from countless backstreet stores, and properly secured to the vehicle.

Sweden doesnt seem to have any issues with its system for issueing plates.

The uk dvla regularly shoots itself in the foot. 

The number plate font changed in 2001 but they won't allow plates being renewed in the original font yet their are countless people myself included that refuse to have the new font on pre 01 vehicles and have to go to online shops who will do a non road legal 'show' plate in the old font.

I would gladly give all my details to have a plate renewed in the old font but as we cant we just use these dealers.  

3 minutes ago, russ p said:

The number plate font changed in 2001 but they won't allow plates being renewed in the original font yet their are countless people myself included that refuse to have the new font on pre 01 vehicles and have to go to online shops who will do a non road legal 'show' plate in the old font.

I would gladly give all my details to have a plate renewed in the old font but as we cant we just use these dealers.  

With the 'show' plates, unlike the new 'legal' plates, there's usually no markings identifying who made them, just as with most pre-2001 plates. Who's to say how long the plates have been fitted? My 1991 bike still has it's original plate on it, no markings on it at all to say who made up the plate.

• Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
9 hours ago, Coppercap said:

With the 'show' plates, unlike the new 'legal' plates, there's usually no markings identifying who made them, just as with most pre-2001 plates. Who's to say how long the plates have been fitted? My 1991 bike still has it's original plate on it, no markings on it at all to say who made up the plate.

If the DVLA would allow replacement plates in the original font but with markings this problem would go

Ironically you are now allowed black plates on vehicles over 40 years old, why people would want these when totally non authentic is anyone's guess 

• Agree 2

Slightly similar thing happened to a colleague of mine. He was accused of knocking a cyclist off their bike while in a work's van and driving off without leaving details. It caused a whole heap of hassle for him trying to prove it wasn't him to the police, insurance and the company.  Turned out the cyclist had written down the reg with one digit wrong and it was the exact same type of van from the same hire company. Caused no end of stress and even our company tried to blame him at first.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Not heard anything from Bedford council yet, hopefully they will realise it's not my car as their picture of the number plate is clearly different to mine. I supplied them with a picture from a few months ago showing my plate.

If they are that bothered they can come and check there are no other holes in the bumper that match the screws on their picture 

19 hours ago, russ p said:

The font should be appropriate for when the car was registered, all this having to have the new font on an old car is stupid.

• Agree 2