The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

My car has been cloned

russ p

1 minute ago, big jim said:

I remember someone asking on the ‘modern car’ thread why I blank my number plate out when I post pictures on the forum, this is the reason why! 

Which is all well and good if you do it to all the pictures you post, there have been a few pictures where thenreg is legible.

• RMweb Gold
15 minutes ago, royaloak said:

The font should be appropriate for when the car was registered, all this having to have the new font on an old car is stupid.

I can't fault your logic. In the UK, it is impossible to have a reg plate newer than the car - why should you have to have a font?

• Agree 2

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, royaloak said:

I am sure(ish) that I have seen the reg numbers on your Minis.

2 hours ago, skipepsi said:

I think it was when you first got them Jim.

photobucket has been down for a few months so I’ve lost my forum photos That I linked to on there so those phots are no longer showing thankfully!

(or not, as I’ve also lost all the Photobucket pics from my down by the tracks thread) 

• Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
13 hours ago, Oldddudders said:

I can't fault your logic. In the UK, it is impossible to have a reg plate newer than the car - why should you have to have a font?

Whats more bizarre is that you are supposed to update the reg plates when you take ownership of a car!

It was in the small print of the reference leaflet that was produced explaining the new registration letter system back in the day... No way I'm putting modern lettering on my minors....

Andy G

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, johnofwessex said:

Another rather bizarre thing is that its legal to offer for sale let alone sell or posse a 'non legal' number plate eg metal ones, show plates etc.................

Unfortunately for those of us that want period correct plates on our cars this is currently the only way we can do it.

As soon as my maestro gets a rebuild assessment I think I will buy replacement plates incase this loophole is closed 

I'm surprised that in this day and age and considering the "Powers of the state" that are replicated on such fictional dramas as Hunters, the authorities are unable to automatically identify cloned vehicles through cleaver algorithms that prove that it is unreasonable for ANPR hits to repeatedly occur in two places hundreds of miles apart at the same time or without any hits on routes between. 

Is this because they would be unable to rescourse such an operation, or because ANPR isn't as linked up nationally or as capable as is made out? 

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

On 17/01/2020 at 18:29, royaloak said:

The font should be appropriate for when the car was registered, all this having to have the new font on an old car is stupid.

Can someone tell me why it matter what font a car numberplate is in ?

It seems an odd thing to be 'precious' about !

Regards,

John Isherwood.

• Agree 4

13 minutes ago, cctransuk said:

Regards,

John Isherwood.

Says the man who makes accurate decals/transfers for railway models!

• Agree 2
  • Funny 8

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, cctransuk said:

Regards,

John Isherwood.

Basically it's like having a steam loco with tops style numbers 

• Agree 3

The digit size on number plates was changed in 2001 with the current registration format. (bsau145d). All  the digits except the number 1 were made slightly narrower to make space for the optional country national emblem, some of the letters like B and D were slightly different, all plates made now have this font , even the classic black and silver plates, which the government in their wisdom have linked to classic car status so any vehicle over 40 years old can have black and silver plates legally fitted, originally on only pre.1972 vehicles.

• Agree 2

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, 298 said:

I'm surprised that in this day and age and considering the "Powers of the state" that are replicated on such fictional dramas as Hunters, the authorities are unable to automatically identify cloned vehicles through cleaver algorithms that prove that it is unreasonable for ANPR hits to repeatedly occur in two places hundreds of miles apart at the same time or without any hits on routes between. 

Is this because they would be unable to rescourse such an operation, or because ANPR isn't as linked up nationally or as capable as is made out? 

I'd rather hope that Bedford Borough Council doesn't have access to any national database of ANPR. It's hard enough getting them to empty the bins.

• Like 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1

2 hours ago, cctransuk said:

Regards,

John Isherwood.

It doesnt, but it seems odd to enforce certain rules about number plates which prevent inappropriate versions while others laws force changes to number plates.

I aint precious about it sweetcheeks, just curious.

11 hours ago, jcm@gwr said:

Says the man who makes accurate decals/transfers for railway models!

Says the man whose car is for getting him A to B; not a status symbol, investment and / or a 'classic'.

Regards,

John Isherwood.

2 minutes ago, cctransuk said:

Says the man whose car is for getting him A to B; not a status symbol, investment and / or a 'classic'.

Regards,

John Isherwood.

But, how you view/use your car doesn't change what it is, and if someone wanted to model it,

for use on their layout, then putting the wrong number-plates on it wouldn't be right.

If someone copied a preservation livery, but set his layout in the 30's, it would be wrong, and

I would hope that you would be first in line to offer constructive criticism on how it should be.

• Agree 1

2 hours ago, jcm@gwr said:

But, how you view/use your car doesn't change what it is, and if someone wanted to model it,

for use on their layout, then putting the wrong number-plates on it wouldn't be right.

If someone copied a preservation livery, but set his layout in the 30's, it would be wrong, and

I would hope that you would be first in line to offer constructive criticism on how it should be.

Agreed - but putting the 'wrong' numberplates on a real car does not affect that car's effectiveness as a means of travel.

..... and if someone is modelling the current scene, the 'correct' numberplate for a model car - 'classic' or 2020 - is whatever the current regulations require.

The fact that I advocate detail correctness in models has no bearing whatsoever on my views on 'purity' when applied to 'classic' real cars.

Regards,

John Isherwood.

• RMweb Gold
31 minutes ago, cctransuk said:

Agreed - but putting the 'wrong' numberplates on a real car does not affect that car's effectiveness as a means of travel.

..... and if someone is modelling the current scene, the 'correct' numberplate for a model car - 'classic' or 2020 - is whatever the current regulations require.

The fact that I advocate detail correctness in models has no bearing whatsoever on my views on 'purity' when applied to 'classic' real cars.

Regards,

John Isherwood.

But not all cars are seen as purely a means of travel, obviously I use cars as as a means of getting about but they are also another hobby and like them to look good . I have four pre 01 cars/van and I managed to get correct font replacement plates for two that had been changed. 

They just look wrong if they are in the modern font 

• Like 3

16 hours ago, cctransuk said:

My understanding is that it's for ANPR.  Hence also the rules about reflectivity, 3D-style fonts (which otherwise meet the size regulations) and the like.

I sometimes wonder what would happen if I just invented a registration number, got some plates made up, and drove around with them on my car for a while.  It wold be easy enough to check that a registration number wasn't already allocated by using the check vehicle tax web site.  Some of the "cherished" registrations are so far from conforming to modern letter & number groupings that I reckon you could get away with something that looks like the sort of plate that people would actually pay money for, such as "MOG 24", without anyone batting more than a momentary eyelid.  (Paradoxically, to be able to track me down using ANPR I reckon they'd have to enter the fake number in to the system!)

My understanding was that you are supposed to provide proof of ownership of the vehicle when getting plates made up.  Obviously that's difficult to arrange when ordering plates online but not long ago I bought a towbar mounted bike rack from a local Halfords and they didn't ask for any proof of ownership when I asked them to make the plate for it up while I waited.

• RMweb Premium
30 minutes ago, ejstubbs said:

My understanding was that you are supposed to provide proof of ownership of the vehicle when getting plates made up.  Obviously that's difficult to arrange when ordering plates online but not long ago I bought a towbar mounted bike rack from a local Halfords and they didn't ask for any proof of ownership when I asked them to make the plate for it up while I waited.

Hi

My local Halfords asked me for proof of ownership when I had a plate made for exactly the same purpose but I hadn't bought the bike rack from them so maybe that was why.

Cheers

Paul