The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

My car has been cloned

russ p

It seems very odd that delivering three cars with identical number plates cannot be some sort of offence - possibly nobody can be bothered. All three cars must be unlawfully on the road, the responsibility for which is the dealer (intrigued to know who it is, in passing, but I appreciate you can't do that).

Clearly the finance company took the view that the car was unlawfully on the road and they could not finance it, which is why they refunded you. That may well have the effect of removing any potential joint and several liability, so may not be as altruistic as it looked.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Derekl said:

It seems very odd that delivering three cars with identical number plates cannot be some sort of offence - possibly nobody can be bothered. All three cars must be unlawfully on the road, the responsibility for which is the dealer (intrigued to know who it is, in passing, but I appreciate you can't do that).

Clearly the finance company took the view that the car was unlawfully on the road and they could not finance it, which is why they refunded you. That may well have the effect of removing any potential joint and several liability, so may not be as altruistic as it looked.

More like they would be responsible for paying out all the fees and compensation, a bit like credit cards they are ultimately financially responsible 

Guest Half-full

A little bit of an update

My lawyer contacted me and has been in touch with the garage who are offering to cover my costs if I sign a disclaimer to keep it out of the courts and out of the press, social media and other online platforms.   They have also been in contact with the owners of the other vehicles affected.  I have been advised to go for compensation, which to be frank, I'm not interested in, as long as all my costs are covered (including lawyers fees), I've already had an unexpected payout from the finance company.

I've said I'll contact the lawyer tomorrow, and ask him to get an exact figure the garage propose to offer just to make sure it covers everything.

Edited by Half-full

• RMweb Premium
57 minutes ago, Half-full said:

My lawyer contacted me and has been in touch with the garage who are offering to cover my costs if I sign a disclaimer to keep it out of the courts and out of the press, social media and other online platforms.   They have also been in contact with the owners of the other vehicles affected.  I have been advised to go for compensation, which to be frank, I'm not interested in, as long as all my costs are covered (including lawyers fees), I've already had an unexpected payout from the finance company.

I've said I'll contact the lawyer tomorrow, and ask him to get an exact figure the garage propose to offer just to make sure it covers everything.

Let's hope that the garage doesn't read RMweb! Otherwise you have already breached those terms, although you haven't named and shamed them. Sometimes best to keep information up your sleeve.

• Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
10 hours ago, Half-full said:

I like how the company don't want anyone knowing how incompetent they are so they can carry on messing their customers about secretively!

Mike.

• Agree 8

Just ask for a touch more cash, perhaps enough to get you a new loco or buy a very nice meal for you and the wife. Lets face it they have put you through it and should have offered this right at the start.

• Like 1
  • Agree 5

• RMweb Gold

I have been advised to go for compensation, which to be frank, I'm not interested in

I used to think much the same way, until it was pointed out that companies mess you around and still make money from you. By getting something from them you've taken back part of the profit they made from you.

• Like 1
  • Agree 4

Ahh - the infamous non-disclosure agreement; these must have covered-up innumerable cock-ups - and far worse - over the years !!

If you're going to sign one to protect their good reputation - which they don't deserve - you should charge them substantially for co-operating. You're lawyer is correct - take the money - and as much as he can get.

Regards,

John Isherwood.

• Like 2
  • Agree 10

6 minutes ago, cctransuk said:

Ahh - the infamous non-disclosure agreement; these must have covered-up innumerable cock-ups - and far worse - over the years !!

If you're going to sign one to protect their good reputation - which they don't deserve - you should charge them substantially for co-operating. You're lawyer is correct - take the money - and as much as he can get.

Regards,

John Isherwood.

John

I think this is a very good point, had they done the right thing at the start, it would have cost them far less and I guess they would not have minded you telling the world what a wonderful company they are.

Dave is also right, this started off as a genuine mistake which could have been made by any company. Then as a deliberate act they deciden not only to take responsibility for their error but charge you extra. Their quick U turn plus the advice your solicitor has given you seems to indicate not only are you in the wrong but have a serious problem, I would take further advice from your solicitor. If you roll over you are giving them a green light to do it again. Whilst not expecting a Caribbean cruise on the process. Perhaps get your solicitor to ask them how much they thing a non disclosure contract is worth. Given non disclosure clauses are in the news today on the BBC perhaps a link to the BBC report may make them more reasonable. Dont forget its a large dealership who clearly need to be more customer focused

Just paying your out of pocket expenses in this case is not saying sorry, It should be, hands up we done this badly and in the wrong, we will cover all your out of pocket expenses and as a gesture of reconciliation and to say sorry the next two chargeable services will be free of charge. 

• Like 2
  • Agree 3

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, hayfield said:

Just ask for a touch more cash, perhaps enough to get you a new loco or buy a very nice meal for you and the wife. Lets face it they have put you through it and should have offered this right at the start.

2 hours ago, hayfield said:

Just paying your out of pocket expenses in this case is not saying sorry, It should be, hands up we done this badly and in the wrong, we will cover all your out of pocket expenses and as a gesture of reconciliation and to say sorry the next two chargeable services will be free of charge. 

Absolutely, totally agree that some reasonable compo is in order here - whilst they're (supposedly) going to cover your costs they're doing absolutely nothing to recompense you for all your time lost, worry, aggro, loss of use of car etc. also caused.  In addition, making them squeal a little will help ensure they focus their efforts in not doing it to someone else in the future, so you're doing your bit for the wider community :)

However, the last thing I'd want is anything whatsoever to do with this Company in the future - can you trust them to service your new car correctly, especially if it's costing them money?:nono:

• Like 2
  • Agree 3

1 hour ago, polybear said:

Absolutely, totally agree that some reasonable compo is in order here - whilst they're (supposedly) going to cover your costs they're doing absolutely nothing to recompense you for all your time lost, worry, aggro, loss of use of car etc. also caused.  In addition, making them squeal a little will help ensure they focus their efforts in not doing it to someone else in the future, so you're doing your bit for the wider community :)

However, the last thing I'd want is anything whatsoever to do with this Company in the future - can you trust them to service your new car correctly, especially if it's costing them money?:nono:

I agree with everything except the last sentence. Whilst never having been exposed to anything this bad, when a complaint has been finally been resolved amicably, usually I go back and say remember me and the issue I had before !! They tend to pull out all the stops to ensure everything goes right and are grateful for giving them a second chance. Never fails to come up trumps and sometimes forges good relationships. Crispy will confirm with me anything goes for a bit of discount.

• RMweb Premium
4 hours ago, hayfield said:

I agree with everything except the last sentence. Whilst never having been exposed to anything this bad, when a complaint has been finally been resolved amicably, usually I go back and say remember me and the issue I had before !! They tend to pull out all the stops to ensure everything goes right and are grateful for giving them a second chance. Never fails to come up trumps and sometimes forges good relationships. Crispy will confirm with me anything goes for a bit of discount.

That could well be the case, though I'd be tempted to check over some of the service items (eg oil & air filters, for example) to make sure they've been changed.  A sneaky one, if fitted, is to let the spare down to half pressure - if they spot that it's a good sign....

It could be that the lads in the workshops are impressed with anyone who makes the shiny's in the showroom look (a) stupid, and (b) cost them money into the bargain

Guest Half-full

Well I've received the offer from the garage, it covers my costs, and they have offered compensation which is almost equal to my costs, however they wont pay out until I've paid the costs involved in re-registering, road tax & new plates that they had to arrange!  They have been told to politely go forth and multiply.

WIth regards to servicing mentioned above, I'm fortunate in that I have a (life-long) friend who is registered to carry out services to manufacturers specifications, thus she does all mine, her other friends and family, for a fee of course.   She wont touch BMW or PSA Group cars though!  I wouldn't let a main dealer anywhere near servicing a car, some of the 'mechanics' they employ couldn't put a nut in a squirrels mouth.

I used to have a Nissan Bluebird with the reg number G232OWX, a few years later I bought a Vauxhall Corsa with the reg number N434xxx, (its still on the road) but when I insured it I put N232xxx by mistake (this reg didnt exist), I ran it for a year like that and only noticed when the insurance renewal came through, the RFL was for the same time so was done early on the proper reg so the wrong reg never got taxed.

I was basically driving an uninsured car for a year and despite doing a 75 mile each way commute from Fareham to Strawberry Hill along a motorway and I never got pulled once, I now check, double check and triple check I have got the reg number right,

• RMweb Premium
9 hours ago, royaloak said:

I used to have a Nissan Bluebird with the reg number G232OWX, a few years later I bought a Vauxhall Corsa with the reg number N434xxx, (its still on the road) but when I insured it I put N232xxx by mistake (this reg didnt exist), I ran it for a year like that and only noticed when the insurance renewal came through, the RFL was for the same time so was done early on the proper reg so the wrong reg never got taxed.

I was basically driving an uninsured car for a year and despite doing a 75 mile each way commute from Fareham to Strawberry Hill along a motorway and I never got pulled once, I now check, double check and triple check I have got the reg number right,

You can be unlucky and be caught straight away too.

I heard  a guy who rang up a Melbourne radio station. He took his car into the panel beaters and they gave him a loan car.

500 metres up the road, he got pulled up - expired registration, which is about a $700 fine. The panel beater tried to deny the issue, as the borrower should have checked before driving off. You certainly can and should check on line before driving any vehicle, even if you trust the owner. They could have missed paying it by mistake.

No idea of the outcome, but I would expect the panel beater, would have to fix the issue.

17 hours ago, Half-full said:

Well I've received the offer from the garage, it covers my costs, and they have offered compensation which is almost equal to my costs, however they wont pay out until I've paid the costs involved in re-registering, road tax & new plates that they had to arrange!  They have been told to politely go forth and multiply.

Why have you to pay this again as i would think it was in the price of the car when you got the car there mistake there cost 

• Agree 1

Whilst being in the hang them by reproductive organs brigade, sometimes showing a bit of good will does go along way, whilst it may go against your sense of what is right, if it means ending this saga quickly along with getting all your costs plus a decent whack on top it might be wise to pay up first as an act of good will, it could save a lot of grief plus you gain the moral high ground

It may be worth just asking why they want you to pay first especially as they will reimburse you, there could actually be a legal reason

• RMweb Premium
6 hours ago, hayfield said:

Whilst being in the hang them by reproductive organs brigade, sometimes showing a bit of good will does go along way, whilst it may go against your sense of what is right, if it means ending this saga quickly along with getting all your costs plus a decent whack on top it might be wise to pay up first as an act of good will, it could save a lot of grief plus you gain the moral high ground

It may be worth just asking why they want you to pay first especially as they will reimburse you, there could actually be a legal reason

It could also be interpreted as accepting partial responsibility. 

• Agree 2

• RMweb Premium
13 hours ago, hayfield said:

If so, they should be explaining in writing exactly the reason. This has gone on for long enough, with them denying and general ducking & weaving.

They KNOW the issue is embarrassing to them, which is why they want to keep the media out of it,

• Agree 2