We all live in a Hornby submarine

KeithMacdonald

Just found on the Hornby website.

Eurostar, Class 373, Set 3005/3006 'Yellow Submarine' Train Pack - Era 9

https://www.Hornby.com/uk-en/eurostar-class-373-set-3005-3006-yellow-submarine-train-pack-era-9.html

£109.99

Eurostar, Class 373/1 'Yellow Submarine' Divisible Centre Saloons Coach Pack

https://www.Hornby.com/uk-en/eurostar-class-373-1-yellow-submarine-divisible-centre-saloons-coach-pack.html

£80.99

image.png.276648ba886aeb6b376b1daf7407c2de.png

Image (c) Hornby

Almost seems like a bargain price?

(he said, anticipating how much we'll see them listed for on eBay as a "Collectors Item")

"Expected: Summer 2020" -  don't bother saying it will probably be delayed.

LNER used NE. The pre-1923 NER used either NE or N.E.R. ...... potentially confusing.

Pre and post-1923 GWR is equally/more easy to confuse, in that both were GW.

Lettering sizes did change, however, in both cases.

Submarines were generally light or dark admiralty grey with white lettering before 1969, although some very early ones may have carried dazzle camouflage for surface use. In 1969 the yellow psychedelic livery was adopted.

• Like 3
  • Informative/Useful 2
  • Funny 3

17 hours ago, Hilux5972 said:

Interesting they say this in the latest Engine Shed. 

5C28F4AB-03E6-48E0-87B5-75B539E98CA4.jpeg

I'm not familiar with the prototype, but out of pure curiosity, how have the achieved the compression of the livery- have they changed the proportions of the actual graphics to fit the full 18-car layout onto 6 cars. or have they just left a few cars out?

16 hours ago, Steamport Southport said:

It's only Railroad standard and aimed at tourists. The Americans and Japanese will hoover them up if they get them in the right shops.

Jason

As you say, it's not one for the serious modeller- it's an interpretation of a very short-lived advertising scheme (3 months if I read the Hornby website correctly?), aimed at the trainset market, tourists and collectors of Beatles memorabilia- and if it sells, there's nothing wrong in that

• Agree 2

• RMweb Premium
2 minutes ago, Invicta said:

I'm not familiar with the prototype, but out of pure curiosity, how have the achieved the compression of the livery- have they changed the proportions of the actual graphics to fit the full 18-car layout onto 6 cars. or have they just left a few cars out?

I think what they’ve done is taken the 18 images (same on both sides of each coach on the prototype as I understand) and applied 12 of them to the available unique sides of the model. So... six images missing and each vehicle individually ‘wrong’ but hey I think it’s a great job given the limitations. Seriously tempting.

If only those extra coaches could be tooled up...

Pictures of the real-life livery are fairly rare, but from the few taken it looks like the Hornby model is more fictious than not.

On a side note, what is irritating is that as far as I can see you can't put the full set (including the coach pack) into an order that's accurate to the film.

• 7 months later...
On 29/02/2020 at 04:00, Nearholmer said:

LNER used NE. The pre-1923 NER used either NE or N.E.R. ...... potentially confusing.

Pre and post-1923 GWR is equally/more easy to confuse, in that both were GW.

Lettering sizes did change, however, in both cases.

Submarines were generally light or dark admiralty grey with white lettering before 1969, although some very early ones may have carried dazzle camouflage for surface use. In 1969 the yellow psychedelic livery was adopted.

If we are going all pedantic,:pleasantry:I would suggest that a great many wagons kept their earlier liveries well into nationalization.  The loco has the early crest putting it in the 50s.

John

• Agree 4

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold
On 13/10/2020 at 06:43, TonyMay said:

AFAICT the LNER adopted NE as wagon markings during the war:

https://www.lner.info/article/liveries/livery.php

So, It's entirely prototypical to see a wagon in the early 1950s still carrying pre-1948 markings.

Wagons often go a long time before getting the sort of overhaul that involves a repaint, and the late 40s and early 50s, the changeover period, were also the last (and some of the worst) years of rationing and the austerity economy; paint was not easy to source, being an export priority to assist with the post war balance of payments problem, and wooden minerals and unfitted opens were put into service unpainted after overhaul, including brand new opens.  Repairs to patch and keep wagons in service, and the cull of older wagons in the 50s meant that pre-nationalisation and even pre-war liveries could be commonly seen in the early 50s, and to some extent a decade later, under several top coats of filth.  There were the few wagons in transition liveries, applied during the first 6 months of 1948 as well; these were very similar to the Big 4 liveries without the company initials but with the prefixed numbers.

Deep water research submarines were painted yellow before 1969; I know because my dad took National Geographic.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
13 hours ago, Markwj said:

Has anyone got this model I know it’s dated tooling but how is the livery- does it have working lights? 

Livery application is crisp and as good as Hornby's usual standards in terms of livery application (some images and videos are already online IIRC). 

No directional lighting, though it was proposed years ago, but nothing materialised on that front. 

Edited by MGR Hooper!
  • Thanks 1

To those who might be interested in these things, there is an error in the graphics which was not picked up by Sony or Apple Corps when they signed them off.

On the same piece of decoration that features "When I'm 64" there is a graphic for "Only a Northern Song". The trouble is, they have only put one "R" in Northern! (Northen)

• Agree 1
  • Round of applause 1