The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Panic buying

57xx

11 hours ago, tomparryharry said:

I'm rather surprised that no-one had the bright idea of simply unscrewing the bottle, and leaving the tag behind....

Well, it is Stockton-on-Tees ;-). 

• RMweb Premium

My work took me to Skipton today - another town where the shops have run out of liquid poly. I couldn’t find any PVA either.  Lots of modellers must be stocking up for several weeks at home.

• Friendly/supportive 1

4 minutes ago, ColinK said:

My work took me to Skipton today - another town where the shops have run out of liquid poly. I couldn’t find any PVA either.  Lots of modellers must be stocking up for several weeks at home.

I was about to ask where you were located until I read your post again. I do have some 3 litre bottles of PVA but postage would be a fortune.

Edited by Baby Deltic

The Australian government has announced its intention to crackdown on those seeking to profit from the short supply caused by panic buying.  It seems that ruthless individuals are hiring buses and filling with "grocery buyers" and touring the rural supermarkets and large grocery stores.  As singular buyers each person is able to buy up whatever is in the store without exceeding store limits.  They then pool their purchases and ship overseas for profit.  There is a very large business in Australia of buying large quantities of baby milk formula and shipping to China, making a fortune over there and causing both a shortage of the product here plus numerous fights breaking out on high street as the gangs compete for what is available..  The mainland Chinese are highly suspicious of their local brands due a poison scare several years ago that killed hundreds of newborn babies.  Australian and New Zealand milk powder is highly sought after for its known purity. 

It seems like a Monty Python sketch but now in Australia some stores are getting police to maintain law and order when a new shipment of toilet paper arrives at a store.  People have been charged with assault as stock dwindles and buyers try to get every package of toilet paper they can at the expense of those who miss out.  The world has gone mad.

• Agree 3
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

1 minute ago, ColinK said:

Between Morecambe and Carnforth (Carnforth Models has run out too).

I did bulk buy some white PVA in white 3 litre containers a while ago. They are 'out of date' but I don't think that really affects the glue. The problem would be postage costs.

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
3 minutes ago, GWR-fan said:

Australian and New Zealand milk powder is highly sought after for its known purity. 

As is UK milk

The numerous Chinese visitors we get to (for instance) Birmingham always stock up with baby formula in such places as Boots (Chemist)

• RMweb Premium
12 minutes ago, ColinK said:

I use this for woodwork:

https://www.screwfix.com/p/no-nonsense-pva-5ltr/57248#_=p

Or this for waterproof requirements:

https://www.screwfix.com/p/no-nonsense-waterproof-pva-5ltr/8115p#_=p

• Agree 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium

I’ve got a late shift tomorrow, so I’ve time to check out a couple of local DIY stores in the morning - it may well be my last shift until the schools go back - so I’ve getting stocked up for some modelling.  Looks like I’m not the only one.

Apparently the DIY shops are doing well as people are planning household improvements and decorating during their time off work.

I did have a quiet chuckle today - I called in at the bakery for my lunch and the lady behind the counter told me she had been carrying a urn of soup up the road to their other shop and was stopped by a passer by asking if the paint she was carrying was for decorating her house!

• Funny 1

• RMweb Gold

I got into nuneaton station at 05:30 this morning after doing a trafford park job and decided to go over to Asda and get a coffee from the in house MC Donald’s before my train back to crewe

as I walked across the car park I noticed the  Main store wasn’t open and there was already a queue of a couple of dozen people waiting outside with trolleys, I just turned around and went back to the station! 

• Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Premium
10 hours ago, TheQ said:

Tried three Tescos none had straight T bags only flavoured ones, SWMBO not happy only a couple of days stock left of her favourite in the tin...  Even in the evening there was fresh milk available in store.. That's One good sign.. 

I've got some spuds to plant over the weekend... 

Make a cup of Tea, save the bag.  Same again the next time.

Then use two used bags for Tea No. 3 - a bit less milk required (good job, under the circumstances...) but perfectly drinkable.

8 hours ago, Baby Deltic said:

I was about to ask where you were located until I read your post again. I do have some 3 litre bottles of PVA but postage would be a fortune.

Use a Courier - they'll even collect from you.  Much cheaper for heavy stuff:

https://www.parcel2go.com/

• RMweb Gold
Just now, polybear said:

Just saw that on the television. I can wholly empathise with her. Worrying about how to get any basic supplies is adding hugely to the stress of this situation for those of us at high risk.

I can only repeat my suggestion from yesterday. Government should be taking over one supermarket in each town as a distribution point focussing on vulnerable people and other key groups to ensure that they get what they need. Leave the panic buyers to fight among themselves in the other supermarkets.

• Like 2
  • Agree 4

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Joseph_Pestell said:

Just saw that on the television. I can wholly empathise with her. Worrying about how to get any basic supplies is adding hugely to the stress of this situation for those of us at high risk.

I can only repeat my suggestion from yesterday. Government should be taking over one supermarket in each town as a distribution point focussing on vulnerable people and other key groups to ensure that they get what they need. Leave the panic buyers to fight among themselves in the other supermarkets.

and how about Government leading deploying the many delivery firms, Uber and Deliveroo folks, currently finding it difficult to get regular work, by paying them to deliver these essential supplies to our vulnerable groups and key workers?

that'd be a win-win surely?

all the best,

Keith

• Like 3
  • Agree 2

• RMweb Gold
1 minute ago, tractionman said:

and how about Government leading deploying the many delivery firms, Uber and Deliveroo folks, currently finding it difficult to get regular work, by paying them to deliver these essential supplies to our vulnerable groups and key workers?

that'd be a win-win surely?

all the best,

Keith

Indeed, I suggested that in my post yesterday but forgot to repeat it.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

We finally manage a delivery slot - for tomorrow - but are skeptical as to how much of our order will arrive. We are buying our normal shop but we did go mad - we ordered an extra "Philly" as the Mrs will probably be at home next week so we are now catering for 3 all day.

Speaking to my son last night he told me that near where he works there was a white-van man on the corner of the road selling loo rolls out of the back <shakes head in despair>

• Informative/Useful 1

The craziness has not stopped.

I went out for a few things this morning. This not unusual for me, I usually shop about twice a week for about £10-£20 each time,

Somebody had 2 of the largest packs of toilet rolls I had ever seen in her trolley. There must have been 30 in the pack. Why? Has the family got bad stomachs or something?

Manufacturers run near to their capacity because it is more economical, so they can't just increase production by 300%.

Once the panic buyers have stocked up, manufacturers should start to catch up. Give it about 3-4 weeks & any panic item should be normally available again.

• Agree 7

32 minutes ago, beast66606 said:

We finally manage a delivery slot - for tomorrow - but are skeptical as to how much of our order will arrive. We are buying our normal shop but we did go mad - we ordered an extra "Philly" as the Mrs will probably be at home next week so we are now catering for 3 all day.

Speaking to my son last night he told me that near where he works there was a white-van man on the corner of the road selling loo rolls out of the back <shakes head in despair>

Take the number plate of the van and report him to the police. 

• Like 1
  • Agree 3

• RMweb Premium

Why no milk? Why no meat? During the foot and mouth crisis there was milk and meat. When will the greedy hording panicking dumbf**ks realise they have created a food shortage for everyone when there should not be one.
All this doesn't help the geezer in the Co-op today who on his way to work every day buys the office milk....."Another day with black tea".

• Agree 8