Coronavirus, now a Cost of Living Crisis: The threat to railway preservation

Northmoor

• RMweb Premium

My heart goes out to all those who depend on the heritage railway movement for their livelihood and it's there that I think our sympathies should be targetted along with all the others who stand to suffer as the economy takes a pounding. My guess would be that preserved railways will enter a mothballed phase with some coming back into action before others. I don't think we'll lose any stock or infrastructure in the short term, what happens long term will depend on what shape we're in once the virus is over and what economic decisions are taken by government.

Edited by Neil
  • Like 3
  • Agree 2
  • Informative/Useful 1

The K&ESR is closed as from now, having cancelled the Mothers' Day services; Spa Valley also closed.

The KESR says in its internal memo that the finances are sound enough to weather the storm this time and will re-open as soon as it's safe to do so.

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Gold
On 18/03/2020 at 18:32, Neil said:

My heart goes out to all those who depend on the heritage railway movement for their livelihood and it's there that I think our sympathies should be targetted along with all the others who stand to suffer as the economy takes a pounding. My guess would be that preserved railways will enter a mothballed phase with some coming back into action before others. I don't think we'll lose any stock or infrastructure in the short term, what happens long term will depend on what shape we're in once the virus is over and what economic decisions are taken by government.

I'm going to take out membership of a few preserved lines/societies, especially those that I would have been visiting over the next couple of months (at galas etc) and those lines that I have a particular affinity with, and lots of special memories, to help put some money into their coffers.

cheers,

Keith

• Like 8
  • Agree 2
  • Friendly/supportive 2

It's probably not particularly helpful to my mental health to keep doing table top scenario planning of different things, but I can't help it at the moment. The severity of this has come on so suddenly that we are all taking time to adjust, and it is clear that however the crisis pans out, we're not going to be back to normal in a couple of weeks.

However, although this is a very serious issue for heritage railways, I do think that the majority of them are better placed to be able to come back than many businesses which have huge, unstoppable ongoing overheads - simply because of the high level of volunteer labour and the fact that they don'y run a 24/7 all year operation.  Even if a large part of the 2020 season may not happen, it is survivable if the assets are mothballed and the costs minimised.  What they will need is the same kind of spirit of endeavour against hostile odds that got many of them to where they are today, and I have faith that will prevail.

• Like 3
  • Agree 2

One thing to remember - if the isolation finally ends in mid August (my personal guesstimate) those still in work will have accumulated savings and will be desperate for travel and holidays. Expect a massive boom until the next round of restrictions sometime in November. Things aren't good but if railways can borrow from government backed schemes most should see it through. 

Edited by fezza

• RMweb Gold

The closure of most skools after today is going to unleash an awful lot of very bored kids. While responsible parents will ensure they isolate to some extent, there will be plenty from the lower strata of society who will not. I do hope there will not be an outbreak of gratuitous vandalism during the time that preservation groups are rightly wound down.

• Like 1
  • Agree 13

• RMweb Premium

I've just been reading about the unique situation in the Isle of Man, which has it's own quarantine arrangements.  The TT festival is cancelled this year (normally late June) and also this:

A government spokesman said: ’To ensure the continued safety of the public and their staff Isle of Man Railways have announced all Isle of Man Heritage Railways will suspend operations from this evening (19 March). The situation will be regularly reviewed in the light of ongoing developments.

’The famous dining car events on the steam railway and the Snaefell Summit dinners will also cease operating from today. The team will contact all customers who have booked for these events to make suitable alternative arrangements.

’Port Erin Railway Museum will be closed from today and the Rush Hour on the Railways event will also be cancelled. Discussions will commence with commercial tenants and off-island travel partners to support them and mitigate the impact of the situation.

’Any annual passes for the railways will be extended into next season to take into account the period of closure.’

Of course these are public sector railways but it will hit the island's economy hard and they have had to make cutbacks before, so hopefully they can ride out this particular storm.

• Informative/Useful 1

The SVR appear to be first out of the blocks with an explicit fundraising appeal, which I hope no one will object to my linking here: https://www.svrtrust.org.uk/index.php?page=SEVERN VALLEY RAILWAY EMERGENCY APPEAL

I have to say this is a far more worthy cause than a few modelling purchases for myself at the moment (although, as others have mentioned, the shops will be suffering too and deserve support where possible), so I've been pleased to donate a small amount this evening. As suggested above by @tractionman, memberships or other support for lines which would otherwise have been receiving vital income at this time is a great idea and I'll do my best to contribute whatever I can -- I have a feeling this really might be 'every penny counts' territory before long.

Adam

Edited by Calidore
  • Like 3
  • Friendly/supportive 1

Nearholmer has a valid comment about there being quite a few of the current volunteers being over 70 and after having a few months off due to the isolation may feel that they no longer wish to spend time at the railway.  Tonight I was talking with dad and he has decided that he is going to have a brake away from the workshop.  For many having a rest will be a bonus as when they get back into action they will be reinvigorated. 

Whilst many lines have cash reserves set aside for rainy days like these the main issue will be having enough crews to run shops and trains.  It has been worked out that as a minimum the Middleton could run with just three people.  Driver, second/fire man and guard.  The downside would be a closed museum and shop.

At the Middleton we think that our June gala celebrating 60 years of volunteers might be the first operational trains (other than new years day).  I might have crewed the first and last train of 2020 all on the same day if this goes on for a long time!

• Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, Calidore said:

The SVR appear to be first out of the blocks with an explicit fundraising appeal, which I hope no one will object to my linking here: https://www.svrtrust.org.uk/index.php?page=SEVERN VALLEY RAILWAY EMERGENCY APPEAL

I have to say this is a far more worthy cause than a few modelling purchases for myself at the moment (although, as others have mentioned, the shops will be suffering too and deserve support where possible), so I've been pleased to donate a small amount this evening. As suggested above by @tractionman, memberships or other support for lines which would otherwise have been receiving vital income at this time is a great idea and I'll do my best to contribute whatever I can -- I have a feeling this really might be 'every penny counts' territory before long.

Perhaps where possible, we should buy our RTR purchases from preserved railways?  I know they charge a lot more - often RRP - than the box shifters but at least the railway gets the profit.  Alternatively, buy from a discounter and donate the difference.

• Like 5

The North Yorkshire Moors Railway have also started an appeal for funds due to the shutdown, suggesting that they could lose £1m in this period.

Worrying times for the railway but it shows how fragile finances must be at all our heritage lines.

• Agree 2

• RMweb Premium
22 hours ago, Oldddudders said:

The closure of most skools after today is going to unleash an awful lot of very bored kids. While responsible parents will ensure they isolate to some extent, there will be plenty from the lower strata of society who will not. I do hope there will not be an outbreak of gratuitous vandalism during the time that preservation groups are rightly wound down.

I take it that poor parenting and badly behaved children are unique characteristics of those from the lower strata of society then? 

• Like 4

• RMweb Gold
11 hours ago, Brian Indge said:

The North Yorkshire Moors Railway have also started an appeal for funds due to the shutdown, suggesting that they could lose £1m in this period.

Worrying times for the railway but it shows how fragile finances must be at all our heritage lines.

Some potential government funding for preserved lines mentioned here

https://www.therailwayhub.co.uk/10907/heritage-railways-trade-body-welcomes-todays-government-support-but-detail-remains-to-be-clarified/

Fingers crossed some of this cash helps our heritage railways, they're a vital part of the local economy up and down the land.

Cheers,

Keith

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
On 20/03/2020 at 21:41, Northmoor said:

Perhaps where possible, we should buy our RTR purchases from preserved railways?  I know they charge a lot more - often RRP - than the box shifters but at least the railway gets the profit.  Alternatively, buy from a discounter and donate the difference.

Go with option 2 and increase the donation by 25% by signing up to gift aid

• Agree 2