Northmoor

Coronavirus: The threat to railway preservation

2 hours ago, tractionman said:

Some potential government funding for preserved lines mentioned here

https://www.therailwayhub.co.uk/10907/heritage-railways-trade-body-welcomes-todays-government-support-but-detail-remains-to-be-clarified/

Fingers crossed some of this cash helps our heritage railways, they're a vital part of the local economy up and down the land.

I wouldn't get too optimistic about preserved railways being high on the waiting list of recipients.  The bigger, better railways do make a significant contribution to their local areas but many vastly overstate their impact.  As much of the government support now on offer is to support paid employment - and these railways are famously dominated by volunteer labour - they won't have much of a claim.  So much of a railways costs are "engineering" costs which they have to buy in and without money landing in the farebox, shop and cafe, they could run low on cash very quickly.

As for the reported thefts, disgraceful but entirely predictable when everyone knows the place is now generally unoccupied.

• Agree 1

Put simply, if may of the people who are likely to support the railway(s) are out of a job they won't be able to donate.

If the government gives money ultimately YOU will have to pay for this from your tax contributions.

The charity commission says that you need to have a contingency fund that you can survive on for a few months if something unprecedented happens.

• Informative/Useful 2

What i have done is donated what i would have otherwise spent on diesel split between nymr and kvwr

Its not much but i hope it helps it helps me feel a bit better too 

Spread the love not the virus

• Like 7
  • Friendly/supportive 3

Another thought which has to come well down the list. What will happen to Boiler certificates will they be allowed to be extended. 

Keith

• Informative/Useful 1

6 hours ago, KeithHC said:

Another thought which has to come well down the list. What will happen to Boiler certificates will they be allowed to be extended. 

Keith

It depends on the boiler condition and the inspector, some extension may be given for a period out of use. Locos like 47406 on the GCR which have already had an extension unlikely to get any more time. 

• Agree 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 2

There is a formula for working it out, but it was a very long time ago that I learnt what it was and have since forgotten it. What I can say that the closer to the end of the ticket, the less the permissible extension. Previous recent boiler history is also taken into account.

• Informative/Useful 1

On 21/03/2020 at 23:01, Paul.Uni said:

:angry::(

why do people do these things to preserved railways? First the NYMR with the Gresley coaches and now this... 

• Friendly/supportive 1

8 hours ago, Dava said:

It depends on the boiler condition and the inspector, some extension may be given for a period out of use. Locos like 47406 on the GCR which have already had an extension unlikely to get any more time. 

i know 60009 Union of South Africa had her boiler ticket extended. i think that was because that John Cameron's planned museum in Fife was declined. I saw her on the NYMR last year and i rode behind her.