SI* Modelling

AY Mod

18 minutes ago, 96701 said:

What's the bloke doing round the back of that tank?

You must accurately model what comes naturally!!!   After you can buy the appropriate RTP models to put in the windows and doorways of properties when modelling Amsterdam's tramways.

• Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium

I’ve never shown any of my railway on here, mainly because it’s always been too much ‘WIP’, and nowhere near the amazing standard of others that I look at regularly. 

Much of this is ‘RTP’, the nearest platform needs finishing and the bus is in totally the wrong place (but I couldn’t resist having it with lights on the layout!). 

so here’s part of my efforts over the past few weeks...

7E07B041-A353-4826-930B-D496D1415CBD.jpeg

Edited by amwells
Typo
  • Like 8

• RMweb Premium

2 hours ago, 96701 said:

What's the bloke doing round the back of that tank?

2 hours ago, boxbrownie said:

He looking for the containment wall to pee up against :lol:

2 hours ago, coline33 said:

You must accurately model what comes naturally!!!   After you can buy the appropriate RTP models to put in the windows and doorways of properties when modelling Amsterdam's tramways.

Thank you. By way of explanation:

The guy behind the tank is tasked with clearing out the control building (the shed), hence the open wheelie bin and fire extinguisher left outside the door.

This is a gas installation, so no bund. To be honest, the two horizontal tanks don't seem to be connected to anything beyond their pumps, so maybe they are empty.

The young woman does not have a shop window - this is a British scene. She usually works in the sauna in town, this has been closed and she's been seen trying for business here. A plant manager is telling to leave. I suspect she is the least realistic item here - a sauna girl would be wearing a dress not a skirt, and certainly not the boots. And I've never found such a person anywhere near heavy industry. Sorry.

- Richard.

• Like 1
  • Funny 2

• RMweb Gold
On 04/04/2020 at 12:03, 96701 said:

CANMIO SVOs for me...........

This is my third one, connected up, found by the pc, so firmware on the PIC updated, now ready for setting the solenoids up........

IMG_0709.jpg

Oh dear.... These electronic thingys never work out as well as one would hope. The new firmware went on okay, then nothing. Couldn't set up any servos, so substituted it with another which also didn't work. fortunately the third one that I tried did work. It looks like I have a couple of boards with corrupted PICs. Anyway, the working one works. Whoopee! Set up the servos, then it comes to frog switching....... The servo mounts that I have will accept microswitches, and indeed I have used them on two boards. I thought I might try using the CAN messages to trigger relays for frog switching, so my son sent loads of stuff from all sorts of places and this includes an 8 relay daughter board. Now I am getting into all sorts of new realms. No instructions and SMD diodes to deal with. Anyway, had a little go at building a 4 relay version which I will need for my next board prior to building the 2 relay version that I will need for the current board. I have now found that the schematic provided doesn't match the board. D'oh. More digging in order to make sure that the hardware is capable of delivering what I want prior to trying to set the software up to Give me what I want.

Is this railway modelling?

IMG_0728.jpg

• Friendly/supportive 1

I made a start on 'bridging the gap' on Lunerigg. The stone base of the pier has gone in along with the deck. Next it needs the concrete cap and pier additions, then it is onto the wing walls and deck.

20200419_172250s.jpg.ae06a418f49d52eb2358807ceeb116c7.jpg

And so Warrington Bank Quay doesn't feel left out, some more assembly of the platform structures.

DSC06799s.jpg.2bd0450bba3342970680d3e7133c2cef.jpg

Stay safe,

Wild Boar Fell

• Like 5

• RMweb Premium

Not too much progress now, as work unfortunately gets in the way! There has been some gradual progress on my little lockdown layout project, with extra colours going down, and work starting on the buildings. There will be  number of handbuilt structures, including the loco shed for the yard shunter.

IMG_20200418_120303.jpg.42a233e9d9a774183863853d0cf8f844.jpg

The shed was initially mocked up in paper. The yard shunter is a World Craft model - a very cute little 0-4-0.

IMG_20200419_143644.jpg.ffe2d1a69146e3e8c6ceb5cdc0a74dc3.jpg

The engine shed itself will be made from 20 thou plasticard. The window frames come from a Pikestuff kit. Some of the parts can be seen in this picture...still requiring a little bit of trimming...the right-hand side of the entrance was cut a little wonky. No matter, that's what files were invented for!

Shed.jpg.f2daae89ce8df658535f01ed18edfb82.jpg

The main part of the shed was assembled, and the lean-to office was added. The scenery around the structure is a little ropy at present...but that will be sorted out once the shed has been completed and I can bed it in.

IMG_20200419_170240.jpg.f36ef683e0d7d5f634b9bb5917abbb14.jpg

The lean-to gets its roof. The corrugated iron is simply made from kitchen foil, embossed by rolling a small screwdriver over the foil. A brief spray with undercoat to give it a little more rigidity.

Hopefully there will be more progress on this structure during the week.

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium
11 hours ago, roundhouse said:

I have been doing a bit of gardening today

In order to get trains running

20200419_170109.jpg

Really miss our garden railway, dismantled when we moved almost five years ago and the majority sold last year finally, decided to go straight to Rails with a list and got what I considered a fair offer (in fact more than I had worked out if sold individually, if it had ALL sold that is) and it all went at once......it was sad seeing the 6 B&Q wheeled storage boxes waiting in the hall for collection on that day though:(..........then again I cannot get down on my knees anymore, what’s more to the point standing up again is impossible! :D

As an aside when laid we used all LGB track with the plastic ties between sections and each fishplate filled with Copaslip, that track (about 150 metre circuit with points and sidings) was down for almost 20 years and always ran perfectly, start of the season a brush to get leaves off the line and a whizz around with the LGB Rail cleaner engine and we were set for the season, some people say LGB stuff is expensive, which it is but it bloomin’ works well.

Look forward to more piccies of your garden set up :good_mini:

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, boxbrownie said:

Really miss our garden railway, dismantled when we moved almost five years ago and the majority sold last year finally, decided to go straight to Rails with a list and got what I considered a fair offer (in fact more than I had worked out if sold individually, if it had ALL sold that is) and it all went at once......it was sad seeing the 6 B&Q wheeled storage boxes waiting in the hall for collection on that day though:(..........then again I cannot get down on my knees anymore, what’s more to the point standing up again is impossible! :D

As an aside when laid we used all LGB track with the plastic ties between sections and each fishplate filled with Copaslip, that track (about 150 metre circuit with points and sidings) was down for almost 20 years and always ran perfectly, start of the season a brush to get leaves off the line and a whizz around with the LGB Rail cleaner engine and we were set for the season, some people say LGB stuff is expensive, which it is but it bloomin’ works well.

Look forward to more piccies of your garden set up :good_mini:

At the time I could not afford LGB having just moved into the house 26 years ago.  I bought Peco G gauge piecemeal extending up the garden to around 100 feet form the patio. I used the LGB Copaslip at the time but then started soldering stripped mains wire across each joint but over the years some have come away. There was a gap of 5 years till last Summer when no trains ran due to the adjoin warehouse wall being demolished and then hardly any time in the garden due to lack of time . So after packing up commuting I had time last Summer to get it all up and running again. I nearly removed it all but glad that I didn't and one day would like to go DCC. 

Hopefully will be running in the next few days with other rolling stock. I will post a few more photos.

Edited by roundhouse
  • Like 2

IMG_4388.jpg.a530179f2eb7ab608eedd67f8e2eba0c.jpg

Sections just tacked together -- filler and primer up next and it needs a couple of other pipes and details once an order of brass rod arrives.

I did NOT spend an hour of the morning making the ladder out of micro strip. Nope... :nono:

Adam

Edited by Calidore
  • Like 7
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

• RMweb Gold

Definitely not making On30 still . . .

587CB73B-154C-4966-BF3C-4569AE8CC381.jpeg.8e4312ef75cf4d72b035e187f35ad6c1.jpeg

CE70172D-1E95-4188-AAF8-195CAEF69186.jpeg.ab72c511af0d25386ca8daf8135eb675.jpeg

20mm aluminium angle hidden inside as I reckon plastic won’t hold up a loco that weighs around 1kg! The deck will hide it. 

25F28D5C-C1C9-4FB3-82D0-372C46287163.jpeg.11afb1fe962f9477a31570ba97686959.jpeg

Cross members to add to the three main beams too. 

• Like 3
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1