Magazine publication during Lockdown

DutyDruid

A general enquiry - does anyone know the answer?  I suspect our esteemed Mod will be able to answer for BRM.

Are the main magazines intending to publish during lockdown - and what are their distribution plans?

My guess is that they will already have most of the copy done for the next issue so from a content point of view there is no reason stop publication although with shops closed there is not going to be much in the way of advertising.

And that leads me on to the next problem - distribution.  I work part time in a model shop and I pick my mags when I'm working - clearly that isn't going to happen now and I suspect that the newsagents (my second port of call to buy) aren't  going to be open either.

Anyone know?

Shops that are exempt from the Government's ban are food retailers, pharmacies, hardware stores, corner shops, petrol stations, shops in hospital, post offices, banks, newsagents, laundrettes and pet shops, so provided you can get to one, the mags are getting printed, and they're getting distributed, and the newsagent normally carries them, then you should be ok.

Newsagents (including many WHS) are still open as are supermarkets (Sainsburys and Tesco often have railway and modelling magazines). Many book and model shops are also selling magazines online. There's a list of some in the Model Shops part of the forum.

If you are after a certain magazine then most can be bought direct from the publisher. Usually with free postage.

As an example. BRM is available here.

https://www.world-of-railways.co.uk/store/latest-issue/british-railway-modelling/

As for content. I believe most publishing is done on computer now so they could probably do much of the work at home. They might struggle if the shutdown lasts for a long time, but I should think most of the magazines could find enough content for a few months.

Jason

4 hours ago, Darren Hedges said:

I very much doubt printing hobby magazines will be classed as essential work, and certainly can't be done from home.

I would be inclined to say "Mental health issues" to that, anything that can be done to reduce the tension level will be seen as a good thing I think. 

I speak from a certain amount of professional interest and experience...

• Like 4
  • Friendly/supportive 1

Perhaps newsagent should introduce a "no browsing" policy, as you can't really sanitise magazines or books.  I'm not sure I'd want a magazine browsed by several other random people at the moment.

Get a subscription, either printed or digital, far safer.

jh

Edited by John Harris
  • Agree 3

8 hours ago, Steamport Southport said:

As for content. I believe most publishing is done on computer now so they could probably do much of the work at home. They might struggle if the shutdown lasts for a long time, but I should think most of the magazines could find enough content for a few months.

It's worth noting that neither Andy or I work in the BRM Bourne office. Not for Corona reasons, they just don't want us in there. (I am joking, I wouldn't want to move to a town where the only baker closed down months ago and cake supplies are negligible).

Looking at the Garden Rail pile of articles awaiting publishing, it's healthy and growing. With time on their hands, people seem interested in writing for the mag. It's a handy way to fill the hours and earn a few quid for a start, but also something many will have considered but not had the time to have a go at. Now they have.

For BRM, I have all the material for this years projects stuffed in boxes around my tiny office space. At the moment, replacing stocks doesn't seem too difficult although I can see issues with paint and glue in the distant future (I stockpiled a few years ago when Humbrol were looking iffy and still have a few spare tinlets of the main colours I use).

In the meantime, we are also promoting our "Get Britain Modelling" campaign and if you haven't signed up for our free weekly newsletter, you really need to as we are stuffing it full of great content each week. I spent most of Sunday developing ideas!

• Like 11
  • Friendly/supportive 1

11 minutes ago, Phil Parker said:

It's worth noting that neither Andy or I work in the BRM Bourne office. Not for Corona reasons, they just don't want us in there. (I am joking, I wouldn't want to move to a town where the only baker closed down months ago and cake supplies are negligible).

Goodness me. Has my place of birth really declined to that level? I haven't been back for years, but when I do I am always amazed at the amount of relatively new housing, where there were miles of green fields in my day. I would have thought a population of Bourne's size might support a cake shop. 

Edited by jonny777

• RMweb Premium

It is likely that mags will be hard to get in shops .  I would need to go some distance I think to get to my nearest newsagent that normally stocks railway mags , and is that journey really necessary ?- I think not .  I could go to Tesco and combine it with my food shop(it isn't my nearest supermarket but Morrisons has very limited stock) , but then will the mag be there , and again is that in the spirit of the rules .  Then again if you get in ,after waiting sometime in the one in one out approach ,and find  a copy who is to say it hasn't already been browsed by someone ( I usually take one from the back even in normal times!) and possibly a source of infection?

Normally I am a browser and only buy mags if there's something in it I like . I usually end up with Railway Modeller and recently BRM .  So given the issues above and that my own opinion is that this is going to go on for sometime I think for the first time ever I may contemplate subscriptions direct from publisher .   I'm resisting digital . I spend far too much time staring at computers and ipads as it is , but I might also have to seriously consider  that .  I know its probably the way to go , I'm just a bit of a luddite .

• Like 1
  • Agree 3
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• Moderators
5 hours ago, Darren Hedges said:

I very much doubt printing hobby magazines will be classed as essential work, and certainly can't be done from home.

We may not be able to print a magazine in the staff's home offices but we can produce a magazine (for digital consumption) so even if there was no printing or distribution we will continue unless you are mandating that no-one should be able to do any work that did not fit the remit of 'essential work' and support their business and themselves?

If you feel that everyone should be laid off or furloughed that isn't 'essential' (and I don't classify what we do as truly essential to society) then, technically, I (or others in the business) can't manage RMweb on a day-to-day basis so we'll have to turn that off too if you're trying to shut the world down.

• Agree 2
  • Friendly/supportive 4

2 minutes ago, AY Mod said:

If you feel that everyone should be laid off or furloughed that isn't 'essential' (and I don't classify what we do as truly essential to society) then, technically, I (or others in the business) can't manage RMweb on a day-to-day basis so we'll have to turn that off too if you're trying to shut the world down.

People are trying to over-egg the "Essential work" thing because it's a way of trying to take control of a situation we all feel helpless in. You can easily argue that broadcasting any television or radio other than the 5 minute on the hours news program planned for a post-nuclear attack world, is non-essential. However, can you image in a population sat around with absolutely nothing to do all day? Not much chance of them sitting tight as we all need to do.

There's also the mental health issue to consider. I know people rubbish mental health issues, but there will be people sat at home alone with no human contact. For months. A hobby could be the difference between surviving this and not.

Finally, if daily newspapers can be produced, why not hobby magazines? I know which one involves more people in production and distribution.

• Like 5
  • Agree 12
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
2 minutes ago, Phil Parker said:

Finally, if daily newspapers can be produced, why not hobby magazines? I know which one involves more people in production and distribution.

And which one is likely to be pushing a political agenda, instead of good ideas that might motivate the readership. 

• Like 1
  • Agree 6

15 minutes ago, AY Mod said:

We may not be able to print a magazine in the staff's home offices but we can produce a magazine (for digital consumption) so even if there was no printing or distribution we will continue unless you are mandating that no-one should be able to do any work that did not fit the remit of 'essential work' and support their business and themselves?

I'm not trying to shut the world down, as you say, I'm merely using the government's own words. 

I'm sorry that you seem to feel that this is some form of personal attack on yourself, and the publishing industry, that was certainly not my intention. 

4 minutes ago, Phil Parker said:

There's also the mental health issue to consider. I know people rubbish mental health issues, but there will be people sat at home alone with no human contact. For months. A hobby could be the difference between surviving this and not.

That Phil is something we all really need to think about.  We (Fareham Club) are actively doing things on social media to try to keep everyone in the Club in the loop with each other because we have a number of members for whom we are their only social outlet.

The importance of keeping mental health at the top of the pile was brought home to me when I was working in the US back in the 90s.  We had one particularly bad snow event that shut the world down for the better part of a week and my American colleagues were starting to suffer from serious cabin fever by the end of it, even though we were all "working from home".

• Like 3

13 minutes ago, Darren Hedges said:

I'm not trying to shut the world down, as you say, I'm merely using the government's own words. 

The government has said essential travel - which includes to work that can't be carried out from home - only.

Quote: Only go outside for food, health reasons or work (but only if you cannot work from home)

The media have played past and lose with the concept of "essential work" - I've heard consecutive news bulletins flip-flop between essential work ad essential travel. It's confusing, but the economy hasn't been entirely shut down. I'm not aware of an official list of "essential roles" at the moment, so as long as work can be carried out safely, it's acceptable.

• Agree 2
  • Friendly/supportive 3

9 minutes ago, Phil Parker said:

The government has said essential travel - which includes to work that can't be carried out from home - only. The media have played past and lose with the concept of "essential work" - I've heard consecutive news bulletins flip-flop between essential work ad essential travel. It's confusing, but the economy hasn't been entirely shut down.

Everyone seems to have jumped on my comment and taken offence, yet I was merely pointing out a possible physical limitation to magazine production. 

Edited by Darren Hedges
  • Friendly/supportive 1

9 minutes ago, Darren Hedges said:

Everyone seems to have jumped on my comment and taken offence, yet I was merely pointing out a possible physical limitation to magazine production. 

But your initial comment was based entirely on a misunderstanding of the official advice - sorry if it offends you that we would like to correct it. There are enough problems around right now without anyone unwittingly inventing more.

• Friendly/supportive 1

10 minutes ago, Phil Parker said:

But your initial comment was based entirely on a misunderstanding of the official advice - sorry if it offends you that we would like to correct it. There are enough problems around right now without anyone unwittingly inventing more.

I stand corrected.

Maybe an official thread keeping all your readers and subscribers up to date with magazine production would be a good idea?

Edited by Darren Hedges

• RMweb Gold

Speaking as one of the "self employed" where the government claims to have put matters in place to put us on an even playing field with the rest of the working population, I can suggest their official website is less than helpful to many of us at all. Therefore many of us as "self employed" will have to try and get through on our own as best we can, that said we have commitments too, not only on a domestic front but also commercial ones too.

Therefore spare a thought for those of us who continue to stay open while still obeying the various isolation guidelines with our businesses and perhaps help yourselves to relieve any boredom at home and make a purchase or two from those of us businesses who are doing their best to remain active as mail order suppliers.

To refer back to an earlier comment in this thread which pertains to the lack of bakers in the town of Bourne these days, well I am sure if more folk had used their local baker when they were still open there might still be one open, so use us small businesses or lose us, otherwise Amazon will become "big brother" and that might not be so good for consumers after all.

We have taken on additional material on our website in the last twenty-four hours and extended our range by almost 300% with many exclusive discounts on other publisher's titles along with our own, and yes we have the stock to back it up as we all use the same warehouse facility in Bedford.

Kevin Derrick

Strathwood Publishing

• Like 4
  • Agree 2
  • Friendly/supportive 5

From Railway Modeller Facebook page.

Railway Modeller

40 mins ·

RAILWAY MODELLER - AVAILABILITY
Under the current health emergency we are pleased to advise that the production and distribution of the printed magazine is continuing as normally as possible, and customers should be able to purchase copies from their usual retailer.

This includes most branches of WH Smith, Tesco, Sainsbury’s, selected branches of Morrisons, some local independent newsagents, and selected model shops.

Digital issues. For customers unable to get to the shops, digital versions of the magazine can be obtained on line.

Single copies can be purchased for £4.99 from Pocket Mags GB via its website:

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold

Went into sheringham yesterday not a single newsagent open, one had a sign saying open from 8am to 9am and that was it so ordered magazines I normally get online 

• Informative/Useful 1