Securing track to baseboards

• RMweb Gold

I’m just about to start track laying on my shelf layout and I’m wondering if I should follow the tried tested method of using track pins?  As my layout is basically a straight line and as it’s going to be painted and ballasted, is it good idea to glue the track down instead of using the track pin?

On the baseboard joints, I’m soldering the ends of the track to screws, so it will be secured on the baseboard ends.

Any sensible suggestions would be welcome.

Glueing is always better in my opinion, pins can distort the sleeper base.  Assuming you are using Peco or similar with the somewhat s!ick plastic, white PVA will hold it down ok but allow you to lift it again, even if ballasted.  For a permanent fix use impact adhesive.

• Like 1

It is a personal choice, so here are some things to think about:

If you are using wooden sleeper track then you can usually get away with pinning it.

Pins are more obvious on concrete sleeper track, even after painting.

I now also re-space the sleepers & having each sleeper glued rather than every 7/8/9th sleeper pinned gives me back the strength I have lost by cutting the sleeper webbing.

My preferred glue is Copydex. It gives me just long enough to get the track & sleepers nice & straight before it goes off. PVA takes far too long & impact adhesive is too fast.

Sound is another issue. Pinning gives quieter running than glue.

My current layout has track pinned onto cork in the fiddle yard, then glued as it approaches the scenic section, then glued & ballasted through the scenic section, each a little louder than the previous one. When running in a loco, I can hear where it is on the layout from 2 rooms away by how it sounds on different sections.

• Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold

Thanks for the suggestions and as I’m using Peco code 75 concrete sleepered flexitrack on the visible section, gluing seems to be the ideal solution but I’m worried about noise.  I plan to use Gorilla glue which works well but I think I might try it and see what the results are.

If you are worried about noise, you could try foam roadbed (from Hatton's) and Tacky Glue (from Walmart).  I've done this for my 7mm layout:

P1010172.JPG.47f6daa264100968ed0af3c419d3dff2.JPG

Tacky glue looks like PVA but dries rubbery.  Using it to fix the foam to the board and the track to the roadbed gives some mechanical isolation I think, reducing noise.

If you make a mistake, it doesn't set hard as a rock like PVA and you can pull the track up quite easily.

John

• Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold

I’ve had a lot of success with double sided adhesive carpet tape for holding track down. Instant fix so no waiting for glue to dry. Once it’s ballasted and glued it’s solid but prior to that it can be lifted easily using IPA to dissolve the adhesive. 

Andi

• Informative/Useful 3

Be careful which type of Gorilla glue you use.  I used a clear glue that turns white and expands as it dries.  It bubbled up between the sleepers and made a real mess and was hard to cut away as it was a bit rubbery.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, jools1959 said:

Thanks for the suggestions and as I’m using Peco code 75 concrete sleepered flexitrack on the visible section, gluing seems to be the ideal solution but I’m worried about noise.  I plan to use Gorilla glue which works well but I think I might try it and see what the results are.

Many modellers seem to assume you are using wooden sleeper track unless you say otherwise. Concrete sleepers have been used widely (even away from the mainline) since the 70s.

Trying something on a spare piece of wood is always well worth it. You can afford to make a bad choice with product or method, which does happen when trying new things.

I notice Brossard recommends Tacky Glue. I have not heard of this but I did notice he is based in Canada, so I wonder if it is a brand unavailable in the UK? Copydex sounds similar. This is quieter than PVA but noisier than pins.

• Informative/Useful 1

Pete, this is the brand I use:  https://www.amazon.co.uk/Aleenes-16oz-Gold-Tacky-Glue/dp/B0084DC3KA?ref_=fsclp_pl_dp_5

It is on the Amazon UK site.

I recall an article in MRJ some while where the author used the same method as me to build a P4 layout.  He said it was quiet.  This article encouraged me.

I have heard of copydex over the years but never seen it here.

I thought for my new layout I would challenge the conventional wisdom of cork and PVA.  These are products I have used for layouts previously, but we are in the 21st century after all.  Time for something new.

John

Edited by brossard
  • Thanks 2

• RMweb Gold
5 hours ago, brossard said:

If you are worried about noise, you could try foam roadbed (from Hatton's) and Tacky Glue (from Walmart).  I've done this for my 7mm layout:

P1010172.JPG.47f6daa264100968ed0af3c419d3dff2.JPG

Tacky glue looks like PVA but dries rubbery.  Using it to fix the foam to the board and the track to the roadbed gives some mechanical isolation I think, reducing noise.

If you make a mistake, it doesn't set hard as a rock like PVA and you can pull the track up quite easily.

John

Hi John,

I have used Woodland Scenics foam roadbed in the past and vowed I’d never use it ever again.  I think I might give double sided carpet tape a try and see what the results are.  My main concern is that the tape is paper based and will it rot over time after it’s been ballasted and secured with diluted PVA?

What is wrong with the WS foam?  From what I've seen so far, it seems fine.

I have some very good and strong double sided tape that is fabric based.  I suspect, but never having tried it, don't know for sure, that paper tape will not hold up.

John

A lot of baseboard noise is the drum-like effect caused by the open bottom of the baseboard.  Closing in the underside with blocks of foam may help to attenuate the sound.

I have heard of under-track foam crumbling after some years......

14 hours ago, brossard said:

I've heard that Peco foam underlay crumbles Jeff.  I have also heard it takes a long time. 

WS foam is not the same and I think I trust Woodland Scenics.  

John

Friend of mine has a big 

layout all done in PECO foam , 30 years later it’s still perfect 

Edited by Junctionmad
  • Informative/Useful 1

• 4 months later...

I used Copydex to stick a layer of the foam underlay intended to go under laminate flooring to my baseboard, then copydexed the track to that. Holds firm but has some resilience which keeps the noise down.