SCAM EBAY BUYER??? "trainbay"

simon b

8 minutes ago, MrWolf said:

I don't either, except in this case the loco was put in the bag, folded over once and taped. Others have been well wrapped then bagged. The bloke you bought the wagons from should have cut out the middle man and hit them with a hammer.

Or even better still, hit himself with the hammer!

• Like 3

30 minutes ago, MartinWales said:

Or even better still, hit himself with the hammer!

I have a comprehensive list of people who need hitting with a hammer ( nothing too dramatic, 2lb engineers ball pein hammer is fine) but I won't go into it here.

• Funny 2

• RMweb Premium
On 06/06/2020 at 10:58, Half-full said:

eBay is based on reputation, thats what feedback is for. 

I think its highly ignorant to not receive feedback when you've left feedback for the other party

I do leave it, just tend to do it in batches when I remember, not be sitting at the computer the second the parcel arrives to ensure I don't get blocked by them!

If someone has a feedback score of 8,000 I doubt they care about waiting a month for it to become 8,001.

Edited by njee20

Guest Half-full
42 minutes ago, njee20 said:

I do leave it, just tend to do it in batches when I remember, not be sitting at the computer the second the parcel arrives to ensure I don't get blocked by them!

If someone has a feedback score of 8,000 I doubt they care about waiting a month for it to become 8,001.

I dont block people who don't give feedback instantly, I wait around 2 months,  plenty of time.

I find sellers are the worst at leaving feedback.

• RMweb Premium
21 hours ago, Half-full said:

I dont have any problems with people bidding from overseas, I was let down in the early days when winning bidders would complain about the postage being too much and refuse to pay (I never charge any more than the actual shipping cost, I dont charge for materials).  I only ship items overseas by trackable methods, with appropriate insurance.  As usual, a minority ruin it for the majority.

I make it clear on my listings that any overseas bidders must contact me before placing a bid for shipping costs, if they dont do it, bid and win, that winning bid is cancelled.

The big catch with selling overseas is that if the buyer claims "not as described" or damaged on receipt and wants a refund then it costs you the same amount to have the item returned back to you.  Scammers can use this to their advantage, hoping you won't want it back.

17 hours ago, hayfield said:

I have no issue with items in Jiffy bags when they have suficent protection around them. in this instance 2 kit built whitemetal locos were just dropped in a quite large padded envelope with nothing around them. As you would expect they were in bits.

I have a problem with jiffy bags, depending on the item.  If it's a loco, wagon or carriage then no matter how much padding then all weight from other parcels on top of yours is pressing down on top of the item.  A reasonable box prevents this.

15 hours ago, MrWolf said:

I have a comprehensive list of people who need hitting with a hammer ( nothing too dramatic, 2lb engineers ball pein hammer is fine) but I won't go into it here.

Personally I prefer a welder's hammer, as one end has a nice pointy bit...........

I admit a good ol' ball-pein does have a certain attraction though.  A claw hammer could be an interesting option.  I find club hammers or sledge hammers a bit unweildy though, unless the recipient is strapped down :jester:

3 hours ago, polybear said:

I have a problem with jiffy bags, depending on the item.  If it's a loco, wagon or carriage then no matter how much padding then all weight from other parcels on top of yours is pressing down on top of the item.  A reasonable box prevents this.

I have used a large jiffy bag as the last element in packing a parcel several times and also received locos where again the jiffy bag was the last element in packing was the last element in packaging an item.

The vast majority of times I use padded envelopes for items that do not need protection from crushing or flat items on ply or hardboard, but there have been cases where I have used a bag purely to cover an item which has a protective packing for postage. And received the odd items wrapped this way  

16 hours ago, Half-full said:

I dont block people who don't give feedback instantly, I wait around 2 months,  plenty of time.

I find sellers are the worst at leaving feedback.

Why block them? seems an unproductive act. They may just be the type of person who is a good buyer but does not leave feedback

• Agree 6

• RMweb Gold
13 minutes ago, hayfield said:

Why block them? seems an unproductive act. They may just be the type of person who is a good buyer but does not leave feedback

Agreed.

If my money isn't good enough for you just because a few words are missing?

Mike.

• Agree 2

Guest Half-full
1 hour ago, hayfield said:

Its not unproductive, I havent noticed any drop in bids or sales of my items.

Common courtesy,  You take the time to list, pack and post the item, and give them feedback.  Is it too much to expect feedback in return?  A simple thanks? 

Maybe I am old fashioned, I was brought up to be polite and respectful.

I am the same as you, infact in most cases I also send a quick message thanking the seller when items arrive quickly and or better than expected.  But I do not expect others to do the same

Likewise I leave feed back when I receive items. and would like others to do likewise. But if they don't I do not loose any sleep and they lose my feedback

• RMweb Gold
On 06/06/2020 at 00:17, simon b said:

As an update, the buyer did eventually open a case for a return which I accepted. The item has supposedly been sent back but I have yet to receive it, no re-funds till it turns up though. He did also leave me bad feedback claiming I was a dodgy seller, which ebay have now removed.

So surprise surprise, the returned item never turned up and Ebay have issued a refund to the buyer. Despite me opening a case that the item has not been received, they say the buyer produced tracking info..... I've not seen it, or any reference to it....  I have opened an appeal but I doubt it will go anywhere, so well done ebay.

I have left the buyer some "positive" feedback, as I cant leave negative. Perhaps when I'm passing by that way I'll drop in to ask if he's enjoying the locos.

Screenshot (96).png

• Like 4

1 hour ago, simon b said:

So surprise surprise, the returned item never turned up and Ebay have issued a refund to the buyer. Despite me opening a case that the item has not been received, they say the buyer produced tracking info..... I've not seen it, or any reference to it....  I have opened an appeal but I doubt it will go anywhere, so well done ebay.

I have left the buyer some "positive" feedback, as I cant leave negative. Perhaps when I'm passing by that way I'll drop in to ask if he's enjoying the locos.

Screenshot (96).png

Sorry to see that not much has changed in twelve years since I had the same thing happen. Nice bit of feedback though!

• Thanks 1

I am very surprised that eBay has not helped you. The buyer should have given you tracking information, or if eBay has the tracking information they should share it with you. I would forget the buyer and escalate the issue with eBay, it may be a case that you have to initially get past the first level of customer service. I however have found the agents are always very helpful

Just take a step back for a few seconds, eBay is in the middle of a messy dispute which must be resolved. Simply ask them how to resolve the dispute, you have clearly not received the item, the buyer has confirmation of postage, they now should put in an insurance claim

eBay rules

If a buyer returns an item, it should be returned in the same condition in which it was received, and it should include all items that were in the original package.

Clearly the item has not been returned in the same condition !! Chase eBay for a refund of your refund

• Agree 3

Guest Half-full
On 09/06/2020 at 10:31, Enterprisingwestern said:

Agreed.

If my money isn't good enough for you just because a few words are missing?

Mike.

Yes, in a nutshell, there are plenty of other buyers out there.

Treat others as you wish to be treated yourself.  To often folk get offended when they get refused something when all they have done is take, take, take.  When you buy something from a shop, do you say thanks to the cashier?

It takes seconds to leave feedback, less time that it takes to find and bid on an item.  

4 hours ago, hayfield said:

I am very surprised that eBay has not helped you. The buyer should have given you tracking information, or if eBay has the tracking information they should share it with you. I would forget the buyer and escalate the issue with eBay, it may be a case that you have to initially get past the first level of customer service. I however have found the agents are always very helpful

Just take a step back for a few seconds, eBay is in the middle of a messy dispute which must be resolved. Simply ask them how to resolve the dispute, you have clearly not received the item, the buyer has confirmation of postage, they now should put in an insurance claim

eBay rules

If a buyer returns an item, it should be returned in the same condition in which it was received, and it should include all items that were in the original package.

Clearly the item has not been returned in the same condition !! Chase eBay for a refund of your refund

Fully agree with you here! The odd times I have had to contact them, they have always been friendly and helpful. 

All businesses have problems when there is a dispute, it must be doubly hard when the dispute is between two of their customers. Quite rightly they have initially to tread carefully especially when there are as many dodgy sellers as there are dodgy customers. They can only act on the information they have to hand

Now in this instance possibly a third party has entered into the equation, namely the carrier.  Now Mr Wolf is quite entitled to receive his goods back in the condition he sent them out in.  As Mr Wolf has no contract with the carriers eBay should insist said buyer makes a claim against the carrier and reimburses Mr Wolf, I would also add they at least should hold on to the refund until said dispute has been resolved

Perhaps if a complaint has already been made it should now be escalated due to the unhelpfulness of the buyer and lack of proof that the goods have not been sent/delivered.

I would also suggest Mr Wolf joins the eBay community and publicizes the issue and request help  in how to resolve the matter. Sometimes issues aired in said companies social media help 

• Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
11 hours ago, RedgateModels said:

blocked, thanks for the heads up :)

Blocked too - many thanks :)

Are we talking much money here?  I'd be looking at a small-claims court summons against the buyer.

• Like 1

Just to clarify, the incident where a buyer failed to return an item but still got a refund was around 12 years ago, The buyer had also apparently got a tracking number. Probably spurious.

One of the three items Hermes lost I got a refund on via the eBay seller, the second I didn't and at £7 wasn't really worth chasing. The third and most recent was an item I bought via a small ad in a vintage motorcycle club magazine. The seller is still trying to contact Hermes, as am I with no success. Their insurance, if that's what you can call it is only valid for 28 days. We have been trying to contact Hermes fir over two months.

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, MrWolf said:

Just to clarify, the incident where a buyer failed to return an item but still got a refund was around 12 years ago, The buyer had also apparently got a tracking number. Probably spurious.

One of the three items Hermes lost I got a refund on via the eBay seller, the second I didn't and at £7 wasn't really worth chasing. The third and most recent was an item I bought via a small ad in a vintage motorcycle club magazine. The seller is still trying to contact Hermes, as am I with no success. Their insurance, if that's what you can call it is only valid for 28 days. We have been trying to contact Hermes fir over two months.

My-hermes are considered to be one of the worst carriers there is, I've never yet had a problem with DPD. Hopefully you get hold of someone that can resolve your issue.

• Thanks 1