SCAM EBAY BUYER??? "trainbay"

simon b

• RMweb Gold
17 minutes ago, njee20 said:

Wow, I’m really lax at leaving feedback. Nothing nefarious, just don’t really care about receiving it, so I’m a bit slow to give It. I’ll generally go through every couple of months and do a load, unless I’ve noticed it’s someone with a very low score, in which case I’ll leave mine more quickly to bolster theirs. I never knew people cared that much. 

I do try and leave feedback quickly. I did buy some bits recently from someone with 0 feedback so like you was very quick to do those, to get them off the mark as it were.

• Like 4

• RMweb Premium

Yeah, I agree with that. Just can’t comprehend blocking someone for not leaving feedback. A few people have chased, that’s fine, I’ll leave it promptly then, just amazed people are that bothered - it’s a hugely flawed metric.

Guest Half-full
Just now, njee20 said:

Yeah, I agree with that. Just can’t comprehend blocking someone for not leaving feedback. A few people have chased, that’s fine, I’ll leave it promptly then, just amazed people are that bothered - it’s a hugely flawed metric.

eBay is based on reputation, thats what feedback is for. 

I think its highly ignorant to not receive feedback when you've left feedback for the other party

• RMweb Gold
3 minutes ago, Half-full said:

eBay is based on reputation, thats what feedback is for. 

Indeed, and as a buyer I give feedback as soon as possible. I regard my own reputation as important, being helpful to sellers, particularly if I need to ask favours re posting abroad etc, to know that I am not a serial scammer. 

• Like 3

Guest Half-full
48 minutes ago, Oldddudders said:

Unfortunately, photos of the item do not guarantee it will even be packed in that condition, let alone arrive thus. 

Thats very true, but if the model arrives intact and the buyer picks up on something that has been pointed out then I have back up with the listing photos, and if a different physical problem appears I'll ask for a photo of the packaging - had someone a few years back send me a photo of a Bach 24 I'd sold who claimed it arrived with a smashed bodyshell - they did and an impact crater clearly visible.  I asked for a photo of the packaging, which they did, with zero damage, which also handily had the head of a hammer in the photo.  

When I pointed that out to them, I never heard a thing back!

Guest Half-full
15 minutes ago, Oldddudders said:

Indeed, and as a buyer I give feedback as soon as possible. I regard my own reputation as important, being helpful to sellers, particularly if I need to ask favours re posting abroad etc, to know that I am not a serial scammer. 

Im mostly a buyer on eBay, always give feedback as soon as I can after examining the item. 

If Im buying from abroad, I'll message the seller to confirm that they will post to the UK, and to confirm the postage.

When I sell, I only sell to the UK, but I do state on the listing that overseas bidders are welcome, but contact me before bidding to confirm shipping costs.  If someone bids from abroad without a message, and wins, I cancel their winning bid and offer it to the next person down.

Interesting read - and has reminded me I need to leave feedback on recently purchased items!

I've had a couple of occasions where items weren't quite as described or had faults - always been promptly dealt with helpfully by sellers, so no bad experiences to report.

Last time I sold something, I packaged up three of the four items sold.  The fourth was packaged up by my (ex)wife ... guess which one arrived damaged and ended up being returned for a full refund with postage costs? :angry:

Steve S

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Half-full said:

Thats very true, but if the model arrives intact and the buyer picks up on something that has been pointed out then I have back up with the listing photos, and if a different physical problem appears I'll ask for a photo of the packaging - had someone a few years back send me a photo of a Bach 24 I'd sold who claimed it arrived with a smashed bodyshell - they did and an impact crater clearly visible.  I asked for a photo of the packaging, which they did, with zero damage, which also handily had the head of a hammer in the photo.  

When I pointed that out to them, I never heard a thing back!

This never ceases to amaze me! All he has now is a smashed Bachmann 24 body!!

• Agree 2

Guest Half-full
2 hours ago, MartinWales said:

This never ceases to amaze me! All he has now is a smashed Bachmann 24 body!!

When he contacted me initially it was along the lines of "this is how this turned up, I want refunded x amount", my thinking is he wanted the chassis only and tried to scam me

• RMweb Premium
On 06/06/2020 at 12:43, SteveyDee68 said:

Interesting read - and has reminded me I need to leave feedback on recently purchased items!

I've had a couple of occasions where items weren't quite as described or had faults - always been promptly dealt with helpfully by sellers, so no bad experiences to report.

Ebay used to send out regular "you haven't left feedback" reminders.

I think that stopped because it encouraged those that may had had a bad experience, but not that really bothered, to actually do something about it and post negatives.

I've just had one tonight - I sell very few non-model railway items and I accepted a best offer Then the buyer messaged me to say he now doesn't want it.

Ebay T&Cs should be on my side:

If you make an offer and the seller accepts, 
it's just like any other sale on eBay – you're obliged to pay the amount you offered.

I shall open an unpaid case in 2 days time.

Edited by newbryford
  • Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 3

Can't fault you there. I have always found sellers to be helpful if there is a problem, but I believe in sending a polite and concise message as the initial approach in the event of a problem. Sadly when it comes to buyers, you will always get what we always called "tyre kickers "

• Agree 2

• RMweb Premium

On 30/05/2020 at 11:06, john new said:

Nothing new under the sun, one of the office girls I worked with in the early 70s occasionally did the same trick with catalogue clothing.  Order, wear once for a do and then return.

My mate's daughter does this regularly, apparently.  It seems that stores are getting wise to this and are now keeping a log of how much a buyer returns - any suspicions and the buyer is blocked.

On 30/05/2020 at 12:29, Half-full said:

If anyone contacts me with a problem with the item I've sold, I arrange a returns label, no partial refunds etc.  Out of the 5 or so I've issued, I've never received the item back!

Snap.  And I found that if the returns label is an ebay one then you don't get charged unless the label is actually used.

On 06/06/2020 at 00:17, simon b said:

Interesting to read other peoples experiences with this sort of thing, and as Ebay no longer allow you to post negative feedback about buyers it will continue I think. 

As an update, the buyer did eventually open a case for a return which I accepted. The item has supposedly been sent back but I have yet to receive it, no re-funds till it turns up though. He did also leave me bad feedback claiming I was a dodgy seller, which ebay have now removed.

I'll keep you all posted if the item actually turns up or not.

I've sold at least 20 items since the one in question, all without problems.....

The thing that really annoys me is that you can't leave negative feedback for non-paying bidders.  So they still (can) appear to have 100% positive feedback.

As for the item being returned, I'd video it being unpacked and examined/tested - ideally all in one video sequence.  So if he returns a bag of rusty nails in order to claim "it's been delivered - here's the tracking" you'll have proof.

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium

On 30/05/2020 at 11:06, john new said:

Nothing new under the sun, one of the office girls I worked with in the early 70s occasionally did the same trick with catalogue clothing.  Order, wear once for a do and then return.

Polybear Said

My mate's daughter does this regularly, apparently.  It seems that stores are getting wise to this and are now keeping a log of how much a buyer returns - any suspicions and the buyer is blocked.

Back in the Sixties I used to have an After school job in a clothing / shoe shop.

Friday Afternoon , they girls would come in select a new pair of shoes, Monday afternoon they would be back in saying they didn't want them can they have a refund..

First thing turn over the shoes to see soles,  to see if they had been worn,

Second thing call the boss and let him say no..

• Like 6

On 06/06/2020 at 06:24, Half-full said:

Im mostly a buyer on eBay, always give feedback as soon as I can after examining the item. 

If Im buying from abroad, I'll message the seller to confirm that they will post to the UK, and to confirm the postage.

When I sell, I only sell to the UK, but I do state on the listing that overseas bidders are welcome, but contact me before bidding to confirm shipping costs.  If someone bids from abroad without a message, and wins, I cancel their winning bid and offer it to the next person down.

It may have been someone like me who has relations in both USA and UK but has USA as primary postal address as tied to payment, but can switch to a UK address. For a buyer’s side could I ask people check if that is possible before canceling a winning bid.

richard

8 hours ago, newbryford said:

I've just had one tonight - I sell very few non-model railway items and I accepted a best offer Then the buyer messaged me to say he now doesn't want it.

Ebay T&Cs should be on my side:

If you make an offer and the seller accepts, 
it's just like any other sale on eBay – you're obliged to pay the amount you offered.

I shall open an unpaid case in 2 days time.

Good for you! The classic 'I was drunk and bid on it' defence?:wacko:

Guest Half-full
36 minutes ago, richard i said:

It may have been someone like me who has relations in both USA and UK but has USA as primary postal address as tied to payment, but can switch to a UK address. For a buyer’s side could I ask people check if that is possible before canceling a winning bid.

richard

I dont have any problems with people bidding from overseas, I was let down in the early days when winning bidders would complain about the postage being too much and refuse to pay (I never charge any more than the actual shipping cost, I dont charge for materials).  I only ship items overseas by trackable methods, with appropriate insurance.  As usual, a minority ruin it for the majority.

I make it clear on my listings that any overseas bidders must contact me before placing a bid for shipping costs, if they dont do it, bid and win, that winning bid is cancelled.

2 hours ago, Half-full said:

I dont have any problems with people bidding from overseas, I was let down in the early days when winning bidders would complain about the postage being too much and refuse to pay (I never charge any more than the actual shipping cost, I dont charge for materials).  I only ship items overseas by trackable methods, with appropriate insurance.  As usual, a minority ruin it for the majority.

I make it clear on my listings that any overseas bidders must contact me before placing a bid for shipping costs, if they dont do it, bid and win, that winning bid is cancelled.

I don't have a problem sending items abroad, but I always make it clear that anyone outside of the U.K. should contact me first for shipping costs.

I sold a very hard to find motorcycle frame which went to an Englishman living in Germany. He had had a quote for shipping and accepted it. The final bid was something over £700 and I boxed up the frame and sent it, the postage being based upon the amount of space the parcel took up.

I then found that I had negative feedback for the shipping costs, despite having sent the buyer a copy of all the paperwork before he bid!

• Friendly/supportive 2

On 21/05/2020 at 23:44, simon b said:

Just had an interesting situation on ebay that I thought might be of interest. I'm fairly sure this guy is trying it on.

I've slowly been selling surplus loco's and stock on ebay for the past 5 years, sold hundreds of things and never had a problem before today. Everything I sell is photographed, any defects noted, and test run to confirm it works properly. I listed a pair of old lima 33's which I confirmed as working properly, I accepted an offer on them, boxed them up and sent them on their way as I do with everything else. The buyer then messages me to say they have arrived with damaged buffers and one of them doesn't work at all. The fact he said it doesn't work at all is what alerted my suspicions (let alone the amount of bubble wrap I used in the parcel).  

See what you think of the following interaction, sounds like he's trying it on to me...

Buyer: This arrived today in this condition, I have attached a pic. Not happy as some of it's broken and not working ??

Me:  Hi, was the box damaged as it wasn't sent out like that?

Buyer: Box was a little damage, but still, one of the locos is not working at all and the other has broken buffers ?

Me:  They were both sent out as working, I tested them myself before sending them out. All the buffers were in place to. Do you want to return them?

Buyer:  Yes I will have to return them as I have no choice, I paid good money for them, and I don't think it's fair I have to pay to get them repaired. It's a shame, a real shame, as I liked one of them.

Me: Ok, use this as the return address: xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx my address xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx. 

Buyer:  I will have to open a eBay claim so I don't get charged for the postage costs, so you would have to cover them I'm afraid. Sorry just this is not my fault, if you would consider selling the working loco maybe ?

Me: I may sell it at a later date, but for now I'll take them back as a pair. I need to do an inspection on both of them here before I decide what I'll do with them.

Buyer:  Which confirms my suspicions,

Me:  Ok, I've been as helpful as I can be. I offered you to return the item, what could you be suspicious of?
I could be suspicious of something I tested as working before I packaged it up, now not working.
I could be suspicious of you not opening a case, but asking if I'll sell you half the item.
I could be suspicious of your tone of messages.
I could be suspicious that with the amount of items I sell, yours is the only item I've got a complaint with.
Stick to ebay rules, and open a case for this item.

End of messages.

As of yet he hasn't opened a case... Am I overreacting, or does that sound a bit dodgy to you? He's only been registered a month, this is him: https://www.ebay.co.uk/usr/trainbay?ul_noapp=true

Simon

Over the past 17 odd years I have bought a few items which have been received damaged in the post, mainly kits or kit built locos. if its the odd buffer which has become unstuck its not even worth mentioning. most are easily repaired, two or three times either the item has been packed badly (I received 2 whitemetal kit built locos just dropped into a padded envelope and a small whitemetal tank loco which seems to have been thrown from one side of the room to the other. I claimed for both from the sellers and included photos of the packing. Neither could be claimed for off the Royal Mail as they both failed the Royal Mails test of having 2" of padding around the items

I never give feedback on items I sell until I recieved feedback from the buyer. Likewise I do not expect feedback unless I give it first

• Like 1

I too have received a locomotive in a jiffy bag, but it miraculously survived. Last week though I received several kit built plastic wagons and they were so meticulously packed it took me about 20 minutes to unwrap them. They were bought as restoration projects but the seller was keen to make sure that I didn't have any extra work to do. He even messaged me to check that they had arrived safely. I replied that I was more than happy and busy with the repairs and painting.

It's definitely not all doom and gloom!

• Like 7

36 minutes ago, MrWolf said:

I too have received a locomotive in a jiffy bag, but it miraculously survived. Last week though I received several kit built plastic wagons and they were so meticulously packed it took me about 20 minutes to unwrap them. They were bought as restoration projects but the seller was keen to make sure that I didn't have any extra work to do. He even messaged me to check that they had arrived safely. I replied that I was more than happy and busy with the repairs and painting.

I have no issue with items in Jiffy bags when they have suficent protection around them. in this instance 2 kit built whitemetal locos were just dropped in a quite large padded envelope with nothing around them. As you would expect they were in bits.

• Friendly/supportive 1

2 hours ago, MrWolf said:

Good for him, and you ultimately!

Best one I ever had was and item in a baked bean tin, flattened at one end, and sent to me from France! :blink:

• Like 2
  • Funny 1

2 hours ago, hayfield said:

I have no issue with items in Jiffy bags when they have suficent protection around them. in this instance 2 kit built whitemetal locos were just dropped in a quite large padded envelope with nothing around them. As you would expect they were in bits.

Had one about two years ago, where several part built and relatively rare wagon kits were posted in a large box. Unfortunately no packing other than newspaper at the top of the box meant at least two arrived in several pieces, both K's kits. 

Unfortunately one was white metal, the other plastic.....

Edited by MartinWales
typo
  • Friendly/supportive 1

1 hour ago, hayfield said:

I don't either, except in this case the loco was put in the bag, folded over once and taped. Others have been well wrapped then bagged. The bloke you bought the wagons from should have cut out the middle man and hit them with a hammer.

• Funny 1