SCAM EBAY BUYER??? "trainbay"

simon b

1 hour ago, cctransuk said:

With respect - you presumably had inspected the model before offering it for sale, and knew that the antenna had not been "bodged and (that) there were (not) traces of residual glue on the fuselage"?  If so, why on earth did you refund him £70.00?

I'm sorry, but these scammers prey of people who "didn't want to get into messy dealings".

It's a hard world out here !

John Isherwood.

John,

I bought it new and it basically remained in the box ,the accessories were still untouched and sellotaped to the polystyrene protective box. I never noticed the bodged antenna . If I had bodged it, I would have cleared up the residual glue and declared the fact in the description.

Every item that i sold that weekend I gave feedback for as soon as they were posted , that's how sure I was that the items were as described.

I have learnt my lesson, I have now started to throw items in the bin rather than sell them on e bay. 3 wills crabs went in the bin yesterday.

Pete

• Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
56 minutes ago, MrWolf said:

Unfortunately, eBay always sides with the buyer who complains, whether or not he is a swindler. I had the same problem some years ago with a new convertible top for a car. Buyer says it's old, mouldy and damaged. Then ignores my response. EBay take the money back from me and threaten to chuck me out.

They don’t always side with the buyer, but in that instance you just say “I’m so sorry it’s not to your liking, return it and I’ll refund in full.”, most won’t bother (because they’re scammers!). Doesn’t protect against someone sending back a different item. But offering 70% of the price as a refund is utter madness. 

Edit: and throwing stuff away instead is even more mad!

Edited by njee20
  • Agree 2

I can actually sympathise with the idea of binning stuff. There have been a few times where I've been tempted. I've had a good number of motorcycles come my way as several boxes of rusty bits. The first thing I always do is loosely assemble everything to check what I have and get the machines identity confirmed. Often I would sell one as is as a restoration project to fund the restoration of another.

The amount of idiots who want to make a quick buck who clearly know nothing about the bike who contact me with daft questions is beyond belief:

"Would I swap for a 1996 Ford Fiesta / Honda CX500 (all scrap) 10p and a balloon?"

"I'm ringing about the bike, what's the least you'll take for it?"

"What's the chrome like?"

"Will it pass an MOT?"

"Could it be ridden back to Exeter?"

Or more frequently: "I'm not interested in restoring it, I'm just buying up old bikes as an investment."

The answer to the final question is always: "If you're not going to rebuild it and ride it, it might as well still be laid in a hedge. I'm not going to sell it to you."

Maybe I'm just intolerant?

• Like 3
  • Agree 2
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

13 hours ago, MrWolf said:

Unfortunately, eBay always sides with the buyer who complains, whether or not he is a swindler. I had the same problem some years ago with a new convertible top for a car. Buyer says it's old, mouldy and damaged. Then ignores my response. EBay take the money back from me and threaten to chuck me out.

eBay has changed over time. At one time the seller could do no wrong. 

• Agree 1

16 hours ago, njee20 said:

They don’t always side with the buyer, but in that instance you just say “I’m so sorry it’s not to your liking, return it and I’ll refund in full.”, most won’t bother (because they’re scammers!). Doesn’t protect against someone sending back a different item. But offering 70% of the price as a refund is utter madness. 

Edit: and throwing stuff away instead is even more mad!

What do you suggest I do ? Save it all and let it pile up in a corner.  No thanks. I can't be bothered to deal with people so in the bin they go. 2  Wrenn 2-6-4t and a Nu cast 3f are now heading for the council tip. As I said earlier the £70 refund doesn't bother me it is the fact that he was a cheating git, but there again the world is full of them.

Pete

• RMweb Premium

The easy way is to describe it as "condition as per photos" and "please examine the photos carefully to satisfy yourself that you are happy before bidding".  Very little chance of comeback I think.

If Ebay shafted me and refunded a dodgy buyer I think I'd raise a small claims court claim against ebay.  My guess is they'd roll over.

17 hours ago, cb900f said:

I have learnt my lesson, I have now started to throw items in the bin rather than sell them on e bay. 3 wills crabs went in the bin yesterday.

That is a great shame - there are members here who would be glad to have them, if you have no use for them.

If you really want to be rid of items, why not offer them here for the price of postage and packing?

It is surely wrong to wilfully throw away something that has a value to others?

Regards,

John Isherwood.

• Agree 11

58 minutes ago, cctransuk said:

That is a great shame - there are members here who would be glad to have them, if you have no use for them.

If you really want to be rid of items, why not offer them here for the price of postage and packing?

It is surely wrong to wilfully throw away something that has a value to others?

Regards,

John Isherwood.

Which is why I tend to give stuff away that is of little value. A friend had just bought an American spec 1971 BSA Rocket. Absolutely original down to the original wiring clips. When it arrived in the UK the previous owner put in a modern left hand dip headlight. I had taken a Lucas 700 lens out of one of my 40s bikes to fit the proper old Cats eye lens. Do I bother trying to sell my old lens for £5 on eBay ? No, go round and fit it to my mates' bike. I think that's a bit more green than chucking it in the recycling. Nothing much is ever truly scrap.

• Like 4

• RMweb Premium

2 hours ago, cb900f said:

What do you suggest I do ? Save it all and let it pile up in a corner.  No thanks. I can't be bothered to deal with people so in the bin they go. 2  Wrenn 2-6-4t and a Nu cast 3f are now heading for the council tip. As I said earlier the £70 refund doesn't bother me it is the fact that he was a cheating git, but there again the world is full of them.

Pete

Put it on eBay and accept there may be some less than honest people there. Put it on Facebook groups, or here, or anywhere. Throwing stuff away because you got a bit burned on a single transaction seems utterly daft to me. 

• Agree 10

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, cb900f said:

Pete

Become a gold member of RMWeb and use the classified section.  I made 10x the cost of the membership by selling unwanted stuff here. No commission to pay eBay, PayPal don't take their cut and the membership fee helps keep RMWeb alive. Everyone wins. 

Steve

• Like 5
  • Agree 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, john new said:

If you still have the wrenn 2-6-4s I’m happy to pay post.  I need some spares to restore a broken H Dublo rail 2-6-4.

John,

Delved into the dustbin and rescued some parts . PM me with your address and I will send what I have .

Pete

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
12 hours ago, john new said:

If you still have the wrenn 2-6-4s I’m happy to pay post.  I need some spares to restore a broken H Dublo rail 2-6-4.

If you still need more, I have a complete Wrenn 2-6-4T in kit form:D, just PM me.

Rgds........Mike

• Thanks 1

Perhaps eBay(UK) is different to downunder (which I doubt),  but eBay deprived the seller of posting negative feedback many years ago on a bidder.  The only recourse now is to respond to a bidder's feedback and try to explain the situation in 80 characters or less.  I usually post feedback immediately on posting an item as I consider that if the bidder has paid in a timely manner then he has done his part of the transaction.  However, of late when a bidder whom I do not recognise bids or buys an item from me I check the "Feedback left for others" section.  Many times bidders with high feedback have not left any feedback at all for the seller or in many cases the feedback left is a litany of negative and neutral feedback.

I have been fortunate to have only had issues with one buyer who claimed that an item was received with a damaged pilot truck and wanted restitution.  The listing images clearly showed the item was intact and as the item was securely packaged the chance of damage was minimal but I decided to compensate him rather than go through a dispute process knowing that eBay would find in favour of the buyer.

I had a friend years ago who would buy a running loco then return a substitute as non-working.  He would replace his non-working drive for the drive from the newly purchased model.  Fortunately, this scam is not seen very often.   EBay is ripe for the picking for those with intent to scam as eBay rules favour them over the seller.   

Edited by GWR-fan
Spelling

He's probably the same bloke who years ago would buy a starter motor for his car from a breakers yard then try to return his broken one and get his money back. Breakers were wise to that sort of thing and test run it before you paid. Unfortunately, that can't be done with online sales. The other scam, which I have actually seen someone get caught out with was to buy a power tool (in this case a petrol strimmer) use it and then return it to the DIY store they bought it from saying it is faulty. Knowing that the staff are not permitted to test run anything claimed to be faulty, they get their money back, saving buying or hiring tools. Of course, some pull the same trick once too often. The bloke abandoned his strimmer and ran out of the store!

• RMweb Gold

Nothing new under the sun, one of the office girls I worked with in the early 70s occasionally did the same trick with catalogue clothing.  Order, wear once for a do and then return.

Guest Half-full

When selling on eBay, I also state "please study the photographs as these from part of the description" and point out any imperfections/faults.  I always send with proof of postage at least.

I always leave feedback, as soon as Im paid, or when I receive and item, and anyone, buyer or seller, who doesn't leave me feedback in return, I block.

If anyone contacts me with a problem with the item I've sold, I arrange a returns label, no partial refunds etc.  Out of the 5 or so I've issued, I've never received the item back!

• RMweb Gold

Interesting to read other peoples experiences with this sort of thing, and as Ebay no longer allow you to post negative feedback about buyers it will continue I think. 

As an update, the buyer did eventually open a case for a return which I accepted. The item has supposedly been sent back but I have yet to receive it, no re-funds till it turns up though. He did also leave me bad feedback claiming I was a dodgy seller, which ebay have now removed.

I'll keep you all posted if the item actually turns up or not.

I've sold at least 20 items since the one in question, all without problems.....

Edited by simon b
  • Like 2

• RMweb Gold

Unfortunately, photos of the item do not guarantee it will even be packed in that condition, let alone arrive thus. 

I bought a Heljan 128 from a leading mail-order house and shop, which also has an ebay presence. Not only were a number of parts, clearly in position on the model in the photos, now rattling about in the box - but a very prominent piece of bodywork, correctly orientated in the photo, was in the same position but now fitted upside down! 

• RMweb Premium
On 30/05/2020 at 12:29, Half-full said:

I always leave feedback, as soon as Im paid, or when I receive and item, and anyone, buyer or seller, who doesn't leave me feedback in return, I block.

Wow, I’m really lax at leaving feedback. Nothing nefarious, just don’t really care about receiving it, so I’m a bit slow to give It. I’ll generally go through every couple of months and do a load, unless I’ve noticed it’s someone with a very low score, in which case I’ll leave mine more quickly to bolster theirs. I never knew people cared that much. 

• Agree 1