The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Dragon 2

57xx

• RMweb Gold

The first commercially built manned space flight is due to lift off tonight at 21:33 and send 2 more crew to the ISS.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dragon_2#Crew_Dragon

Live coverage:

https://spaceflightnow.com/2020/05/27/falcon-9-crew-dragon-demo-2-mission-status-center/

The vehicle will also make a visible pass over the UK at 21:53.

https://www.heavens-above.com/passdetails.aspx?lat=51.6862&lng=-0.2609&loc=Unnamed&alt=0&tz=GMT&satid=71000&mjd=58996.8717321341&type=V

• Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Gold
57 minutes ago, Ozexpatriate said:

If I am not mistaken, this will be the first manned capsule, rocket launch from the US since ASTP (Apollo-Soyuz Test Project) on July 15, 1975.

The first manned capsule since 1975 and first manned vehicle of any sort launched from the US since the shuttle retired in 2011.

Edited by 57xx
  • Agree 1

You might also argue Virgin are sending a space plane to sub orbital height, this is a capsule in like Nasa had before the Shuttle and the Russians still use today.  It also lands with parachutes and doesn't glide down to a runway like the Virgin craft will do.

So they might dress Star Trek and have a sci fi interior but we are still have the same frail old rockets to get us off the Earth.

An Aliens style space marines drop from a mother ship into a storm is a long way way away.

Let alone x-wing fighter style craft racing from 1.0 gravity into space, manoeuvering like a fighter plane and returning to ground without heat shields.

Why I believe we are forever trapped on this planet and probably the same for any other intelligent species in the universe.

• RMweb Gold
17 hours ago, Bulleidboy100 said:

Back in the 90's I was on the pier at Cocoa Beach, Florida, to watch a launch, and they aborted at two seconds on the final countdown. It's not an unusual situation.

Did you get to see it launch in the end? It's something that should be on everyone's bucket list. Awesome sight, awesome sound and the feeling as your body gets pounded by the shock waves, totally unforgettable experience. Had the pleasure of seeing Endeavour launch on STS99 in Feb 2000 from the coast at Port St John.

• Like 3

In the 90's if a launch was aborted it was usually for days - even weeks. As were "doing Disney", we were probably home before it launched. 

I have not seen a launch from close quarters, but during the same decade (we holidayed in Orlando from 92-98), I did watch a live launch on tv and then went onto the balcony to see a "vertical" vapour trail.

I should have been there now - in fact coming home today. Have stayed on the Gulf Coast for the last twelve years - for the whole of May  - it was obviously cancelled this year. 

Edited by Bulleidboy100
  • Friendly/supportive 3

• RMweb Gold

Strange that they lost the signal just as the first stage was about to land and it came back just a few seconds later with the stage on deck.

• Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
15 minutes ago, BoD said:

Strange that they lost the signal just as the first stage was about to land and it came back just a few seconds later with the stage on deck.

That seems to happen quite a lot with the stage recoveries. I think the signal must get spotty as the booster is very close to landing.

• Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold

Yeah, have noticed that on the ship landings. Wonder if the rocket exhaust is doing something to the signal. Ground landings are fine as the cameras aren't bang up close to the boosters.

• Like 1

Just been outside watching it, over by the Parkway with No 1 Son. One thing about East Anglia, the sky comes all the way down to the ground, so “low on the horizon” is no problem. Saw ISS clearly, and a couple of brief flickers of Dragon ... an exciting evening! 

• Like 2