More model ideas

• RMweb Premium

For something to get your teeth into this would make the KUA look easy

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GGlf9eGTh5Q

The other wagon for modern image would be the bin liner container and FCA wagon as plenty run the rails.

or how about a railway on a wagon

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KddkQ-t5i_0

Edited by ERIC ALLTORQUE

I think that they will do a 16ton rot box, for two reasons.

1-It has been a few years since Bachmann did theirs, and with their batch production they come in feast then famine, whereas accurascale do smaller runs repeated more often. 

2-They are not looking at the competition, just what they can do, better than before. The only reason they will look at Bachmann is to make sure they don`t waste money on tooling that would not pay. The 16 toner would be a link in the powering britain series that they would not over look just because the others have done a perfectly good model already.

4 minutes ago, cheesysmith said:

They are not looking at the competition, just what they can do, better than before. The only reason they will look at Bachmann is to make sure they don`t waste money on tooling that would not pay.

Don't you contradict yourself here? Surely that's exactly the reason why manufacturers pay attention to the opposition.

• RMweb Gold
24 minutes ago, cheesysmith said:

I think that they will do a 16ton rot box, for two reasons.

1-It has been a few years since Bachmann did theirs, and with their batch production they come in feast then famine, whereas accurascale do smaller runs repeated more often. 

2-They are not looking at the competition, just what they can do, better than before. The only reason they will look at Bachmann is to make sure they don`t waste money on tooling that would not pay. The 16 toner would be a link in the powering britain series that they would not over look just because the others have done a perfectly good model already.

I have over forty of Bachmann's 16-tonners and I suspect there are hundreds of others in the same position. TBH they are perfectly decent layout wagons and won't get replaced even if a new one is better - from a couple of feet away it just won't be visible.

That's a big chunk out of any potential sales of a new one.

John

Edited by Dunsignalling

37 minutes ago, Dunsignalling said:

I have over forty of Bachmann's 16-tonners and I suspect there are hundreds of others in the same position. TBH they are perfectly decent layout wagons and won't get replaced even if a new one is better - from a couple of feet away it just won't be visible.

That's a big chunk out of any potential sales of a new one.

John

I would go along with that logic - I have a large number of N-gauge wagons even after pruning 40% of them, but older models predominate as they tend to survive the inevitable fiddle yard mishaps rather better. In a moving train most people just complement the weathering.

On my OO shunting plank I'm finding that the rather cruder Dapol 21 tonners are more resistant to exhibition (mis)use than the newer Hornby ones, and in ten shows nobody has commented on the apparent age of my wagon fleet or lack of details.   I don't have any Accurascale 24 tonners as they are out of my area - I've no pics showing any on NE Area colliery lines - though I would be very tempted by some stronger wooden hoppers than my slightly delicate kitbuilt ones.  Each wagon will be handled about thirty times in the course of a two-day show- taken off the layout at one end and either replaced at the other either in the fiddle yard or pushed in under the screens from the back.  My exhibition stock leads a hard life....

Les 

5 hours ago, TomScrut said:

Don't you contradict yourself here? Surely that's exactly the reason why manufacturers pay attention to the opposition.

Erm, yes. Slight error between brain and fingers. What I was thinking was the timing of releases may be affected by what your competitors release but not the long term plans. Although i do think the market will accept a accurascale 16ton rot box (fit it with sprung buffers and the instantier couplings from the factory please). 

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

I can't remember if I've mentioned this before, but as masters of the Nuclear Flask wagon, I'd really like Accurascale to do the original 12-wheeled Magnox flask wagons.  The punters at an exhibition will never believe a flask carrier behind a kettle! :senile:

4392151225_93182f68ed_b.jpg

Edited by Phatbob
Typo
  • Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

19 hours ago, farren said:

A stab in the dark, and I know I’ve mentioned them before probably on this topic but I’m quite constant in my wishes, wagon’s PGA’s and PXA’s and How about standard BR brake van. 

are the Cavalex PGAs no good for what you want?

Edited by GordonC

Not all PGAs are the same. The TOPS code is a catch all for different designs. Like the TEA covers different barrel sizes, different bogies, lagged or normal, all the way from the first 102ton bogie tankers upto the latest builds.

It means (IIRC) P=private owner aggregates wagon  G=2 axle 51 ton   A=Air brakes.

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

2 minutes ago, cheesysmith said:

Not all PGAs are the same. The TOPS code is a catch all for different designs. Like the TEA covers different barrel sizes, different bogies, lagged or normal, all the way from the first 102ton bogie tankers upto the latest builds.

It means (IIRC) P=private owner aggregates wagon  G=2 axle 51 ton   A=Air brakes.

I agree, TOPS code is not an exact way of defining what is meant in the case of a lot of things. It simply describes the wagon vaguely rather than specifying design.

An example I think that came up earlier in the thread is the JGA. Even "Tarmac JGA" brings in an aggregate wagon and a cement tank wagon in Tarmac livery.

Js and Is are the worst IMO simply because J is private owner and I is internationally registered stuff which means the description available within TOPS is less given there is only two letters to work with.

One example is that Accurascale are doing an IIA. I can think of at least 2 more designs on top of the part where it can be argued Accurascale are doing 3 different IIAs (albeit with one originating design).

Its odd, we use them all the time and to be honest, most of the time they do define exactly which one we are on about, but there are a lot where it doesn't.

On 12/12/2021 at 14:38, Dunsignalling said:

The riveted pattern 16-tonners were probably not common enough to sell in big enough numbers.

John

That's a strange comment. I haven't done the sums, but they must have been one of the most numerous wagon types built by BR; it is simply that there were so many more of the welded version. But they do need the interior to be reproduced correctly - the pressed doors are not easy to reproduce.

Paul

5 hours ago, Phatbob said:

I can't remember if I've mentioned this before, but as masters of the Nuclear Flask wagon, I'd really like Accurascale to do the original 12-wheeled Magnox flask wagons.  The punters at an exhibition will never believe a flask carrier behind a kettle! :senile:

4392151225_93182f68ed_b.jpg

That is a good call "Phatbob".

Remember seeing these in the siding at Trawsfynydd once, but no class 24 in evidence.

Also think I remember them on 8M76 Gloucester - Arpley passing in and out of Bescot with a class 40 on the front. 

Really good choice for Accurascale, but were the wagons also steel carriers without the nuke gubbins welded on ?

Two wagon designs for the price of the CAD ? 

23 hours ago, farren said:

How about standard BR brake van. 

After many years of portraying the BR standard 20 tonner I think the Hornby version looks the most accurate and is what I have adopted. The Dapol nee Airfix kit also works out well with a lot of time and effort. Personally I would prefer Accurascale to deliver something new / never tackled before, ideally a hopper or a steel carrier. Plenty to choose from. Also concede to all the NE modellers that the 20T wooden hopper of various designs would be a good choice, but then there is the realms of suitable power to pull them !!!  

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, hmrspaul said:

That's a strange comment. I haven't done the sums, but they must have been one of the most numerous wagon types built by BR; it is simply that there were so many more of the welded version. But they do need the interior to be reproduced correctly - the pressed doors are not easy to reproduce.

Paul

I must admit that was a little poorly-worded; I did mean in comparison to the dominant Dia. 1/108, which must have outnumbered them by about 20-to-1.

The pressed door versions (including those of the welded types built with them, too) are the one area where a newly tooled model could score significantly over my existing stock when running them empty.

However, Accurascale seem (not unreasonably) to like wagons they can sell in "block train" numbers, though even among the 21-tonners, solo examples (especially of the unfitted type) did turn up now and again, hence my purchase of one pack of the 1/107s. I'd certainly go for a 3-pack of 1/109s, too, but I don't think they have quite the same potential for multiple sales as the MDO/MDV models.

John

Edited by Dunsignalling

• RMweb Premium

If we know it's a wagon and it's part of the 'powering Britain' theme, my tombola ticket would go for the HBA/HEA domestic coal hopper, as seen in older tooling from Mainline/Dapol/Bachmann across the decades. It'd be useful for modellers of the '70s onwards and slotting in the gap between the MDV and the HAA in the series, plus the derivatives can all come out of it - the CEA, MEA, MFA and be of use to a lot of modellers of many eras. 

Of course as I've posted here previously, for myself, I'm still dreaming for the 5-car 'WIA' Articulated Arbel Car Carriers, but they didn't exactly 'power Britain' so can't be included here..!

Cheers,

James

• Like 2
  • Agree 2

13 hours ago, Dunsignalling said:

I must admit that was a little poorly-worded; I did mean in comparison to the dominant Dia. 1/108, which must have outnumbered them by about 20-to-1

John

For the BR built mineral wagons (108 and a few rarities vers 109) the ratio is closer to 10 to 1, possibly 9 to 1. And of course, most of those built earlier on the MoT orders were rivetted. Certainly in the 1970s BR seemed content to repair and rebody the welded wagons but the rivetted ones, even though their frames were similar, were destroyed. Good details in the Peter Fidczuk article. 

Paul

On 12/12/2021 at 16:17, ERIC ALLTORQUE said:

For something to get your teeth into this would make the KUA look easy

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GGlf9eGTh5Q

The other wagon for modern image would be the bin liner container and FCA wagon as plenty run the rails.

or how about a railway on a wagon

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KddkQ-t5i_0

Bin Liner containers would be nice, Few different options as well.  Wagon wise looking at FYA/FUA, FRA and PFA Intermodal wagons. 

If anyone fancy's measuring up a prototype of the Powderhall - Oxwellmains in the mean time, one of the containers has survived and now resides at granton near go outdoors...

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium

The choice of a future model by Accurascale must be very constrained.

Most modern / popular steam loco's have already been made. Apart from going older / oddities choice is tiny and probably limited to locos out of production or of a low quality. Hornby comes to mind here. I'm sure it's a game of chasing gaps of diminishing size!

Diesel loco's are even better covered, only class 01, pre nationalisation shunters, DC Class 70, 74, LNER electrics and odd AC variants missed. With the popularity of southern electrics the Bulleid class 70 is a no brainer. Other options would be older models not well presented today such as the class 50 and maybe the HST as availability is poor and popularity is high.

Coaching stock is quite well covered especially now the Mk 2b is coming. The gap is the ability to create whole rakes for a particular region. A Mk2b buffet in BR WR livery would do me even though not real!

Wagons are poorly covered when it comes to modern wagons, so plenty of opportunities here.

Track Machines is an open book, there are NO OO gauge models available. Imagine Accurascale making a fully working tamper :locomotive:

Multiple units are a big challenge and sales are weak. DMUs of the inter city / cross country type are an opportunity, even DeMUs as you can buy the coaches separately AC EMUs don't sell in volume, maybe a widely used unit such as a 319/769 might scrape it?

Southern units remain popular, may the class 404 + buffet units are a possibility.

Other DC units are very local to an area as much as I'd love an articulated Tyneside unit or NLL Oerlikon unit.

My choices? Class 70 DC, Class 769, 4COR+4BUF but above all On Track Plant, a working tamper!

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
1 minute ago, reddragon said:

The choice of a future model by Accurascale must be very constrained.

Most modern / popular steam loco's have already been made. Apart from going older / oddities choice is tiny and probably limited to locos out of production or of a low quality. Hornby comes to mind here. I'm sure it's a game of chasing gaps of diminishing size!

Accurascale weren't particularly constrained with their diesel choices - given that they're doing the 37 and 55.

It wouldn't surprise me if they chose a Black 5 or 8F as the next steam loco.

• Like 4

• RMweb Gold

Edit: Whoops! The Loriot Y that inspired this post is being produced by a different radical new manufacturer. However the idea is still a good one, so I will leave it here.

What about the gigantic Crocodile L, the largest wagon ever built at Swindon? This was a truly impressive vehicle: 24 wheels arranged in four, three-axled, bogies that pivoted in two subframes. The subframes then supported  either a well girder or a straight girder platform, upon/within which the load was carried.

Built in 1930, and still in use in 1962 at least, possibly later, it spans two eras which extends its appeal. Some people may even remember seeing it because wherever it went was always a special event.

One of it’s party tricks was to traverse very tight radius curves in yards, thanks to its extreme articulation, and this should help it to work on typical model railway curves today.

Versions with either one or both girders could be created and maybe with some typical loads such as giant electrical components for power stations.

In the same vein as the big travelling cranes, which have proved to be very popular and well-received by reviewers, this would be a statement piece and would look stunning when it appeared on people’s layouts.

It appears in this 1962 colour film (er, probably):

Edited by Harlequin
  • Like 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2