Parkend Marsh Sidings in P4

Re6/6

• RMweb Gold
13 hours ago, 46444 said:

It would appear there's problems with the stocks at present.. 

Essentially, as I understand it from when I spoke to Cambrian recently, the kit is quite 'involved' in terms of production, so this all takes time. As of a week ago, I understand that another batch would be produced starting about a fortnight from then. I have ordered a small quantity from that next batch.

As said by others, a quick phone call worked wonders for me.

• Thanks 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
13 hours ago, gwrrob said:

H and A Models had 10 in stock last Sunday morning but someone bought them all when I gave a heads up on another thread.

'Stop counting the votes, then!'

Edited by Captain Kernow
Three llamas.
  • Round of applause 1
  • Funny 2

• RMweb Gold

Thanks to the good advice from Nickey and the Good Captain I emailed Cambrian Models to make an enquiry about the availability of the Herring kits. 

Graham from Cambrian kindly emailed back promptly and put me on the forthcoming order list.

I am fifth on the waiting list with production starting next week all being well. 

Thanks once again to Nickey and CK. 

Mark 

Edited by 46444
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• 1 month later...
  • RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Re6/6 said:

More stock is slowly appearing.

20201208_143800.jpg.61c3f6bba8d96324bbd51381fbb89a59.jpg

Very nicely done.

Out of interest what is the provenance of the Dogfish ballast wagons by the way? 

As an aside Graham from Cambrian supplied me with three Herring ballast wagon kits very promptly. Excellent service all round. 

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold

The Dogfishes are from Heljan and they belong to CK. They were weathered as bought but additional weathering has been added by himself!

I have twelve Cambrian 'Herrings' to build. They're certainly not 'shake the box' kits by any stretch of the imagination!

• Informative/Useful 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Re6/6 said:

I have twelve Cambrian 'Herrings' to build. They're certainly not 'shake the box' kits by any stretch of the imagination!

Thanks for the reply. 

I'd agree we're not talking Tamiya here and I'm slowly working through the first of the three kits. 

Using Paul Bartlett's excellent on line reference has been most helpful.

He has photos of the GWR P22 version on his site:

https://paulbartlett.zenfolio.com/gwrherring/h16c2e0ab

Along with the BR D1/582 built wagons:

https://paulbartlett.zenfolio.com/brherring

Looking at the photos certainly makes things clearer when assembling the kit. 

Thanks once again. 

Mark

• RMweb Gold
3 hours ago, 46444 said:

I'm slowly working through the first of the three kits. 

Hi Mark,

i would strongly recommend that you follow the Cambrian instructions to the letter and don't deviate from the recommended construction sequence!

20201207_170532.jpg.91496fa7e2a4c9f32e2e0a5563da4cbb.jpg

One of two so far completed. I am only doing a total of five for myself.

• Like 12
  • Agree 1
  • Craftsmanship/clever 4

• RMweb Gold
11 minutes ago, Captain Kernow said:

Hi Mark,

i would strongly recommend that you follow the Cambrian instructions to the letter and don't deviate from the recommended construction sequence!

20201207_170532.jpg.91496fa7e2a4c9f32e2e0a5563da4cbb.jpg

One of two so far completed. I am only doing a total of five for myself.

Wise words CK.

It is one of those kits you could easily find yourself in a spot of bother if you went off piste with the instructions.

Lovely work CK on your build. Are the transfers from Cambridge Custom Transfers per chance? 

• RMweb Premium
6 hours ago, Re6/6 said:

.... I have twelve Cambrian 'Herrings' to build. They're certainly not 'shake the box' kits by any stretch of the imagination!

Are they as 'challenging' as the Cambrian cats and dogs?

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold
13 hours ago, 46444 said:

Are the transfers from Cambridge Custom Transfers per chance? 

Mark, I meant to also say that you will need two separate sheets from CCT for the Herring.

One is for the main lettering and numbering, also tare information, the other is for the 'Return to xxxxx Quarry' lettering. I'll check the sheet numbers later, if that would help.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, Captain Kernow said:

Mark, I meant to also say that you will need two separate sheets from CCT for the Herring.

One is for the main lettering and numbering, also tare information, the other is for the 'Return to xxxxx Quarry' lettering. I'll check the sheet numbers later, if that would help.

That would be great CK. 

I was going to order BL137 but I think I need BL138 as well for the Return to .... lettering. 

Thanks once again. 

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, Neil said:

In that case I'll keep well away.

I was thinking about this just now, as I was doing the washing up (as you do!).

In some ways, anyone making a kit for this wagon is up against a bit of a challenge, due to the complexity and the sheer number of components required.

The Rumney Models kit is superb, easily the best model out there, but isn't a quick build. But the level of detail is excellent.

On the other hand, I think that Cambrian are to be commended for having a go at doing one of these in plastic, where some of the components at least, would be better of being done in some other medium, such as etched brass.

I suspect it would also be a challenge for an RTR producer, although I do think it is 'ripe' for being done by someone.

In fairness to Cambrian, the tiebars are in etched brass and are very nice, but are fragile in terms of how easy it is to dislodge them by accident (they are glued on with superglue or epoxy, of course).

Some of the other plastic parts are also quite fragile, such as the 'V' hangers moulded on the end of the footplate and underframe moulding.

Where the Cambrian kit does save you time, is in the main hopper being just the one moulding.

The way that they have moulded the solebars, 'W' irons and 'footplate' all as one is ingenious, in my view, but possibly an unnecessary luxury, in that most of us are used to assembling some or all of these parts as separate items in other plastic wagon kits. If you want to install brass springing units (eg. as a P4 modeller), then the way this is all moulded as one is arguably a bit of a hindrance.

• Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Gold
23 hours ago, 46444 said:

That would be great CK. 

I was going to order BL137 but I think I need BL138 as well for the Return to .... lettering. 

Thanks once again. 

And if you speak to Mr CCT nicely am sure he might do all relevant return to brandings for you.... mine are all Coleford or Chepstow

Edited by Phil Bullock
  • Like 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
4 minutes ago, Phil Bullock said:

And if you speak to Mr CCT nicely am sure he might do all relevant return to brandings for you.... mine are all Coleford or Chepstow

Thanks Phil,

I will pop Mr CCT a line and see what he can do... ;)

Cheers, 

Mark 

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
4 minutes ago, figworthy said:

All sorts of strange happenings in the Forest (allegedly).

Adrian

How strange.

I was about to say exactly the same thing.

The Forest is a strange place. There are a lot of sheep about, that's probably it.

• Informative/Useful 2
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
  • Funny 1