Llanbourne North Wales in the 80s.

P.C.M

Hi there,

newly active member here, though I've been on other sites for a while.

can I ask where you got all the snowploughs from. I'd be interested in adding similar to my class 20's. I have them already on my Heljan 26 but these came with it. are they plastic or metal?

Also how sharp a corner can they go around, as the Kadee coupling look fixed to the chassis in a lot of cases, notable the 141 you showed pic of the underside.

By the way its a fantastic layout you have there!

Hi there,

newly active member here, though I've been on other sites for a while.

can I ask where you got all the snowploughs from. I'd be interested in adding similar to my class 20's. I have them already on my Heljan 26 but these came with it. are they plastic or metal?

Also how sharp a corner can they go around, as the Kadee coupling look fixed to the chassis in a lot of cases, notable the 141 you showed pic of the underside.

By the way its a fantastic layout you have there!

Hi Chris,

Welcome aboard,biggrin.gif the ploughs on my 20s 25 and class 33 are all Heljan ones, though the class 33 ploughs are slightly different. The ploughs on the 20s and 25 are class 47 ones bought from Howes Models as a spare part, they have been out of stock for a while.sad.gif The ploughs are fitted to the body or chassis and a hole for the Kadee is cut into the ploughs, I do have a fairly sharp corner on Llanbourne which hasn't been a problem, I think I am right on the limit though. I am planning on doing a class 47 with ploughs but this is a longer loco so may be a problem.

Peter Harvey does a nice looking plough etch so they may be worth a look.

Best advice I can give you is give it a go.wink.gif

Cheers Peter,

Hi Chris,

Welcome aboard,biggrin.gif the ploughs on my 20s 25 and class 33 are all Heljan ones, though the class 33 ploughs are slightly different. The ploughs on the 20s and 25 are class 47 ones bought from Howes Models as a spare part, they have been out of stock for a while.sad.gif The ploughs are fitted to the body or chassis and a hole for the Kadee is cut into the ploughs, I do have a fairly sharp corner on Llanbourne which hasn't been a problem, I think I am right on the limit though. I am planning on doing a class 47 with ploughs but this is a longer loco so may be a problem.

Peter Harvey does a nice looking plough etch so they may be worth a look.

Best advice I can give you is give it a go.wink.gif

Cheers Peter,

Cheers,

they look much neater and cleaner than standard couplings, especially on the 141 as a way to connect them. :)

having the coupling static obviously allows all the detail pieces to go on to which make it look well. Did you have to cut back any of the coupling pockets on the bogies to get it to work properly?

Cheers,

they look much neater and cleaner than standard couplings, especially on the 141 as a way to connect them. smile.gif

having the coupling static obviously allows all the detail pieces to go on to which make it look well. Did you have to cut back any of the coupling pockets on the bogies to get it to work properly?

Hi Chris,

I know I had to cut off the NEM box on the class 20 but I am not sure about the 25. I will have a look for you, I will try and get a few pics and post in the next few days.

Cheers Peter,

Hi Chris,

I checked the class 25 and I did remove the NEM coupler box, I have also taken a pic of the class 20 for you, I forgot that I removed some of the chassis so that the ploughs could be glued to the bufferbeam.

Two other pics show 08472 on the blocks and a 33 runs round it's train.

Cheers Peter,

post-7022-127305227773_thumb.jpg

post-7022-127305246634_thumb.jpg

post-7022-127305285152_thumb.jpg

• Like 3

Hi Peter, would that be a Gateshead duff that I spot visiting Llanbourne?

Really like the shot of the 101 leaving the station with the LL 47 in the background, superb!

Thanks mate,

And yes 47418 with Gateshead crest came off the workbench last week I am quite happy with it, 47106 is next.

Cheers Peter,

• RMweb Gold

Thanks for the latest pictures, which demonstrate the unique atmosphere of your layout. I particularly like the gronk on ECS – a nice bit of weathering. I can almost smell the spilt fuel and accumulated gunge below the running plate!

Late 1985 to mid 1987 was indeed an exciting period but it was also a sad time too as the 'Peaks' dissapeared to make way for Class 150/2s. The 25s, 33s and 40s also dissapeared one way or another during this time.

You chose what was probably the best period after the steam-era when more diesel classes operating down here than at any other period. But isn't it always the same with railway modelling that you model one period only to miss out on another. I refer to 1989 when the line was passed for steam again and the 1993 Class 37 invasion.

LG

Thanks Trevellan, I am glad you like it, I still have plenty to do but comments like yours help to spur me on.

Thanks Jon, I like the railfreight 20s I still have a headcode fitted loco to do, though I want to do one with orange line next time.

Hi Larry, I was asked the other week why I had chosen to model North Wales. My answer was where else in the UK could you run 33s one of my favourite locos with 20s 25s 31s 45s and 40s during this time 37s weren't common but I have used my modellers licence as in 1989 there was a 37 hauled Cardiff- Rhyl train, Llanbourne isn't long enough for freightliners or MGRs so I borrowed an oil train from Mid Wales so I can run 20s. I also use 20s on summer dated passenger trains. The 40s were a must as I didn't get to see many, so when I did it was a real treat. I was lucky enough to see three class 40 with their departmental 97 numbers, so far I have only done 40012 (97407) but 2 others are on the todo list.

Cheers Peter,

47418 has a rest from passenger duties and is seen shunting ballast wagons at Llanbourne prior to departing to Penmaenmawr.

Cheers Peter,

post-7022-127340896957_thumb.jpg

post-7022-12734092195_thumb.jpg

post-7022-127340952082_thumb.jpg

• Like 5

Thanks guys,

Even the smallest amount of weathering makes a difference.

I remember the Crewe works visit, i think it was a 47/4 with smashed front end but not 418.

Cheers Peter,

Two pictures close by Llanbourne!

33021 waiting to depart with the 15.40 to Crewe on 15 May 1985. The water pipes were for refilling the toilets.

post-6680-127348829497.jpg

Another excuse for a 37..... 37/5 No.37503 in grey large logo livery running in on test train and curving off the Llandudno branch at Llandudno Junction on 28 February 1986.

post-6680-127348845265.jpg

• Like 2

Hi Peter,

Luv the duff i've done 2 the same as 401 & 402 both with the gateshead plaques above the numbers courtesy of precision labels and decals :) was thinking looking at those pics of the crompton and beasty 37503 it may be worth both of us modelling these trains think of all those ex works loco's with a crompton or duff tucked in behind as they thrash up the coast on test B) the only prob is i'm addicted to weathering as you know so they prob wouldn't stay clean for long lol.

Cheers, Jon.

Minor little point on the Bedford HA; you shouldn't have the small red double arrow on the back, just the small 'British Rail' in black on the RH doors. Same applies to other vehicles too, according to the BR Spec.

Here is the document. br14222.pdf I posted this on a previous topic so apologies if you have already have the information.

Hi Peter,

Love the latest shots of the 47. The weathering looks just right to me. Spot on.

Incidentally, the lights you asked about on Waverley West are Viessmann (Viessman no. 6364). Sorry for the delayed response. I've been a bit busy recently.

Cheers for now,

Dave

Two pictures close by Llanbourne!

33021 waiting to depart with the 15.40 to Crewe on 15 May 1985. The water pipes were for refilling the toilets.

post-6680-127348829497.jpg

Another excuse for a 37..... 37/5 No.37503 in grey large logo livery running in on test train and curving off the Llandudno branch at Llandudno Junction on 28 February 1986.

post-6680-127348845265.jpg

Hi Larry,

Thanks for posting the pics, I have a book on 33s which has your pic of 33021 but in colour, it will come in handy for reference when I do my station roof.biggrin.gif Your pic of 37503 is taken from a good spot, Iv'e not seen a pic from there before.

Cheers Peter,

Oh no Pete, looks like you will have to put in some hoses and stand pipes! laugh.gif

Hi Doug,

Yes I had noticed them, though I was planning to put some in the new carriage sidings when I start the senics.

Cheers Peter,