Please use M,M&M only for topics that do not fit within other forum areas. All topics posted here await admin team approval to ensure they don't belong elsewhere.

The Night Mail

6 minutes ago, Happy Hippo said:

At some stage you are going to have to bite the bullet and get yourself a small lathe and either a separate milling machine or a milling vice you can fit to the cross slide of the lathe. 

Yes I certainly agree, however that won’t be for another ten years as lathes are strictly illegal in my house. So I will have to wait till I by my own. Or do some top tier convincing. We do have a very very nice Cincinnati (I believe) drill press though, but I’ve never seen it used. 

I’ll definitely look into that book, as I’ve seen a few of those converted HP moguls on YouTube. 

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

21 minutes ago, Tony_S said:

Did someone in the family have an unfortunate experience with one? 

14 minutes ago, Happy Hippo said:

Perhaps someone was shortlisted for the Turner Prize and lost out!

Neither actually. They are considered to dirty and expensive. However we (i.e. my dad and I) have many uses for one. He has plans to get a MicroMark lathe eventually, but not for a few years.

• Like 3
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium
7 hours ago, bbishop said:

...snip... a hooker.  Bill

A hooker? How about two:100_5728.JPG.c843769604a6aa3b55f028342a366ae9.JPG

Edit: I have around twenty or so HOOKER tankers, quite a few have been two-railed. These are the only ones photographed, though.

Edited by J. S. Bach
To update some information.
  • Like 6

• RMweb Gold

I inherited a Boxford model A when we moved to the IoW.  Over the years it's had a full work up, and bought toys like steadies, collets & drawbars.  Funny really, as I had a full toolroom to play with.  I have considered upgrading a pillar drill with taper bearings on the quill, but I haven't got to that yet.  I might just get a vertical slide on the Boxford, and leave it at that. The scale I'm working with is predominately 4mm, although there is a 5" gauge  shunter in storage.  With the downsizing here, I'm considering a Unimat. (Elliot type). 

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold

I don’t have a lathe. Being able to use one was one of the things pupils at the school I  went to were supposed to learn. Other machine tools and things like hearth and anvil techniques. Woodwork too. Learning a language (German or French, not Latin or Greek). Lots of science and applied science like electronics (germanium diodes and thermionic emission device). Maths included lots of binary and logic techniques. Everyone learned how to use mechanical calculators that we were told would be essential when we entered the new technological world awaiting after we took O levels.

Tony

• Like 6
  • Agree 1
  • Funny 1

• RMweb Gold
16 minutes ago, Steamport Southport said:

Never watched The Simpson I take it...

Some of the things that were considered OK when the Simpsons first appeared are probably less acceptable now. Repeating the Groundskeeper Willie remark about the French out of its cartoon context isn’t really funny. 

• Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
32 minutes ago, Steamport Southport said:

It's a slight on Americans culture.

Never watched The Simpson I take it....

Some people really need to know what a phrase is about before commenting.

The problem is a phrase, which might be hilariously funny in one context, can be seem by others, who might not be in on the joke, as derogatory and highly insulting.  Sadly such phrases are used to such an extent, and outside of the original context, they become misquoted.  it is done so often that it becomes stereotypical in nature................

The cheese eating surrender monkeys quote just cues up others such as:

What to you call 100000 men with their hands in their air?

The Fr*nch Army.

How can you tell if a soldier is Fre*ch?

Suntanned armpits.

Earlier we had the rugby v football version, followed by:

Hookers!

Of course, it's a bit of an old joke, but the in joke is both Bill and I have played in that position.

(I sent this just after Tony sent his)

Edited by Happy Hippo
  • Like 1
  • Round of applause 1

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Steamport Southport said:

It's a slight on Americans culture.

Never watched The Simpson I take it....

Some people really need to know what a phrase is about before commenting.

No, I don't watch tv. But I have certainly come across this unpleasant phrase, referring to the French, and the loss of a US army officer a few miles from my home on 10.8.1944. And you completely failed to note that I was really referring to recent complaint on RMweb from people in the NW of England, squarely where you live, about their counties being impugned. People in glasshouses really shouldn't throw stones. 

• Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
On 18/10/2020 at 09:35, Happy Hippo said:

If you are keen on tea, then I would also recommend getting your hands on Earl Grey's wife (Wahahahahaha).

I drink most black tea NATO standard (m+2s) but prefer the delights of Lady Grey unsullied by further additives.

Thanks for mentioning this - I usually drink coffee, but I bought some of this yesterday and it is very pleasant.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
23 hours ago, jamie92208 said:

I must introduce you to Monsieur  Balluet's finest. Not at all like the rubbish that the big 3 overcharge for. It needs serious study. Uncle T has a complaint about it though. It's so nice his Mrs likes it as well.

Jamie

Once this pandemic is under control I'll hold you to that Jamie. I may well even undertake a trip to the Charente specially for the purpose with the cover story that I am delivering those two wagons that I still have for LGA. Incidentally, that is the first time I've ever heard of Uncle T having a complaint concerning booze other than there isn't enough of it. 

Deep joy time looms this week as on Thursday I'm booked in for a second go at having a colonoscopy. I can hardly wait.

Dave 

• Friendly/supportive 7

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, tomparryharry said:

I inherited a Boxford model A when we moved to the IoW.  Over the years it's had a full work up, and bought toys like steadies, collets & drawbars.  Funny really, as I had a full toolroom to play with.  I have considered upgrading a pillar drill with taper bearings on the quill, but I haven't got to that yet.  I might just get a vertical slide on the Boxford, and leave it at that. The scale I'm working with is predominately 4mm, although there is a 5" gauge  shunter in storage.  With the downsizing here, I'm considering a Unimat. (Elliot type). 

I acquired a Unimat a couple of years ago and have even started to use it.  I have done some little household jobs and must really learn how to use it including the milling attachment. I suspect that I'm going to need it on future projects.

Jamie

• Like 5

On the subject of lathes, or really more mini lathes, i've often thought of getting one of these cheap chinese ones. They make them in about a 1000 different designs, but i've always been put off by the fact the quality is probably well below what you want. Now I have nothing against the chinese, but I do have my misgivings about a lathe with 3 jaw chuck being priced in some cases at just $110. Any advise? There are a few videos on line of them cutting such soft metals as aluminium and in some cases cast iron, so they must be decently powerful.

Douglas

image.png.5233ff69c0ec81d7eada7c618d639237.png

This version looks a bit heftier though. They are often falsely marketed as UNIMAT 1.

image.png.72a1e6b7d420e497878735017bad6905.png

Edited by Florence Locomotive Works
  • Like 1

• RMweb Gold

I keep looking at a Unimat; there is usually a couple going through 'Bay at any given time. The Boxford is very nice, but some extra parts come at an healthy premium.  That said, a good Unimat costs about the same as a good milling slide, and a slotted table is about the same. The later model Boxford top slide has a couple of tee slots, so I should do a comparison. 

All this, to put up a 4mm chassis for a 26xx Aberdare.; I must be barmy....

• Like 2
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Gold

Your thoughts about the Chinese-made lathes raise some interesting questions. I get the impression that they are purely for small model  work, and for the student to get an idea of what a lathe is all about.  Somehow, I don't think it'll be be putting up something like 24" diameter, and no 4 Morse taper....

Typing this, I realise that there isn't enough room for the proposed layout here, and the lathe.  It looks as though the lathe will stay in storage, until the garage roof is overhauled. 

• Like 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Dave Hunt said:

Deep joy time looms this week as on Thursday I'm booked in for a second go at having a colonoscopy. I can hardly wait.

Camera Obscura?

17 minutes ago, Florence Locomotive Works said:

On the subject of lathes, or really more mini lathes, i've often thought of getting one of these cheap chinese ones. They make them in about a 1000 different designs, but i've always been put off by the fact the quality is probably well below what you want. Now I have nothing against the chinese, but I do have my misgivings about a lathe with 3 jaw chuck being priced in some cases at just $110. Any advise? There are a few videos on line of them cutting such soft metals as aluminium and in some cases cast iron, so they must be decently powerful.

Douglas

image.png.5233ff69c0ec81d7eada7c618d639237.png

This version looks a bit heftier though. They are often falsely marketed as UNIMAT 1.

image.png.72a1e6b7d420e497878735017bad6905.png

They are not brilliant:

Better off trying to Get a Sieg C0 (or one of the many clones)

I have one, and it's very good.  They are a lot more sturdy than the plastic 'Unimat'.

image.png.ae2eb510ffad14e4341ea74d7bf62692.png

I also have the Sieg C0 Mill.

It's also an excellent drilling machine

image.png.4ccc88f6d945581c6fda9980e278a460.png

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 4

• RMweb Gold
2 minutes ago, tomparryharry said:

Your thoughts about the Chinese-made lathes raise some interesting questions. I get the impression that they are purely for small model  work, and for the student to get an idea of what a lathe is all about.  Somehow, I don't think it'll be be putting up something like 24" diameter, and no 4 Morse taper....

Typing this, I realise that there isn't enough room for the proposed layout here, and the lathe.  It looks as though the lathe will stay in storage, until the garage roof is overhauled. 

Chap down the road from me had a lathe with a 16 foot bed in his garage.

That had a swing of about 24" as well.

My bigger lathe and Mill are both MT3.

I wish I still had my Myford.

• Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Friendly/supportive 2

6 hours ago, Tony_S said:

Was it discussed peacefully with downstream towns? I was reading about Egypt getting cross with Ethiopia damming a source of the Nile. I only found out about this following the reporting of a comment by the current US President. 

Sorry Tony, forgot to reply to this.

In a way, no.

All districts of the city thought it was a great idea 5 years ago, except one. This  “one” has always had its own ideas about itself, and said it “didn’t directly benefit them.” So the plan was cancelled. It was then restarted just in the downtown district last month. (The original plan was to dam the river much further downstream). With regards to other towns/cities along the way, the river has no function until it gets to Fort Smith Arkansas, where IRC it joins the Mississippi. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 2