Please use M,M&M only for topics that do not fit within other forum areas. All topics posted here await admin team approval to ensure they don't belong elsewhere.

The Night Mail

• RMweb Gold
11 minutes ago, New Haven Neil said:

Oh yes, they were meths fired though - I'll remember his name soon I'm sure.....d'oh.  He also does 009 live steam.....yes.....

Agreed, especially the bit about his name being on the tip of my tongue....

Until I remember and to flesh out Neil's comments so far, they were single cylinder meths fired pot boilers, and the locos could only run one way. There was no method for reversing them.

The cylinders were about 1/8" bore and were oscillators.

Brian Caton!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 3

• RMweb Premium

Ah,  yes, my forgettery has now got into gear and I can recall that the little locomotives were indeed meths fired. I was captivated by them. It would be nice to see them again. Does anyone know of any photographs that could be posted?

Dave

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold
7 minutes ago, Dave Hunt said:

Does anyone know of any photographs that could be posted?

Search for 'brian caton live steam' images on google (other browsers used to be available...)

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2
  • Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Gold
40 minutes ago, Dave Hunt said:

Thanks Stubby. They really are fantastic little bits of model engineering. I'd love to see them in action again.

Dave

Why don't you make some after you've finished the steam crane?

Half a dozen would be fine, you could give them away as Christmas presents to your friends.

Edit:

I just followed Stu's advice and wish to correct my statement about the locos being oscillators:  The pictures I've seen show they were fitted with a piston valve!

Edited by Happy Hippo
  • Like 2
  • Funny 6

Morning all,

I think this is a video of one of Brian’s engines, if not it’s quite similar. 

Last week when I said that the Midland and GWR were considered equal in Oklahoma, I forgot to mention they were below something, said some being the….

London & North Eastern Railway, laterally the British Rail Eastern Region.

Yes, I am at heart an LNER modeler, as I spent quite a bit of time around Stamford and Peterborough in 2013. And today, after years of stalling, I finally bought a BR livery B12 (the super detailed one). What the layout will look like for it I know not, but I hope to have a plan for the shunting plank by the end of the day.

Back to those live steamers. They use a very similar design to some crude Bing engine sold roughly between 1908 and 1925, with the tooling eventually sold to Winteringhams. Those were O huge though. 

I also managed to find a picture of the IOM layout on this website.

Douglas

• Like 6
  • Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Gold

Douglas, finding the LNER is above all else!

Does any one else remember the film 'Dances with Wolves' where John Dunbar charges the enemy line alone?

I am reminded of the line by his commanding officer:

'Looks like a suicide!'

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Premium

Brian Caton, yes!  Nice chap, chatted with him a few times over the years.  He wanted to move here but finances didn't allow, I don't recall where is is from but he was bemoaning the house prices here, so presumably north of the Watford Gap.

Not the smallest live steam in the world though, I have a Model Railways form the 70's with Z Gauge live steam locos in it.

• Like 7

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, New Haven Neil said:

Not the smallest live steam in the world though, I have a Model Railways form the 70's with Z Gauge live steam locos in it.

I remember that but the problem with it was it could only run a short distance before running out of water.

• Like 4
  • Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Premium
8 minutes ago, PhilJ W said:

In the film Brian Caton said that his locomotives were superheated. That would make their water usage better and increase the range.

Yes, all our little garden locos are too.  Not hard to arrange.  it amazes me that many larger passenger carrying miniature railways don;t use superheaters, the one I was involved in certainly does.  Makes a hell of a difference.

• Like 3
  • Agree 2
  • Informative/Useful 4

• RMweb Gold

One of the main reasons for 'superheating' (more realistically steam drying in such small locos) is to get rid of as much condensate as possible.  When you have very small pipes there is only a certain size you can go down to before water will not flow down them freely.  So the more heat you can generate which stops the steam condensing back to water the better.

He who shall no longer be named, (after professing LNER adoration,) would find his B/L Mogul would run better if it had a loop or two of steam pipe running through the fire before going to the cylinders

• Like 8
  • Agree 2

• RMweb Premium

My pal that made the tiny traction engine once did some experiments to measure steam temperature on a garden railway locomotive, IIRC it was superheated in the true meaning of the word, I must ask him if he still has the results.  (looks for old copy of my 'steam tables'.....).

• Like 8

• RMweb Premium
6 hours ago, Florence Locomotive Works said:

Last week when I said that the Midland and GWR were considered equal in Oklahoma, I forgot to mention they were below something, said some being the….

London & North Eastern Railway, laterally the British Rail Eastern Region.

Yes, I am at heart an LNER modeler, as I spent quite a bit of time around Stamford and Peterborough in 2013. And today, after years of stalling, I finally bought a BR livery B12 (the super detailed one). What the layout will look like for it I know not, but I hope to have a plan for the shunting plank by the end of the day.

Wise beyond your years, young Douglas - well recovered  :clapping:

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Friendly/supportive 2

55 minutes ago, Happy Hippo said:

He who shall no longer be named, (after professing LNER adoration,)

I do profess to own a pannier though.

Alright it may be in several hundred pieces…

Douglas

Edited by Florence Locomotive Works
  • Like 1
  • Funny 7

• RMweb Premium

Douglas,

I'll be in Oakham a week on Friday and will be doing some travelling along Rutland Water to Stamford so I'll keep a lookout for any Eastern Region branches I may have missed previously. The Midland evidence is much easier to find :P

Dave 

• Like 3
  • Agree 1
  • Funny 4

• RMweb Premium
25 minutes ago, Dave Hunt said:

Douglas,

I'll be in Oakham a week on Friday and will be doing some travelling along Rutland Water to Stamford so I'll keep a lookout for any Eastern Region branches I may have missed previously. The Midland evidence is much easier to find :P

Dave 

Be careful Dave. My sister (ex Air Traffic Control at Wittering) lives in Cottesmore.. she only liked Victors not Phantoms....

Baz

• Funny 9

• RMweb Premium
6 minutes ago, Barry O said:

Be careful Dave. My sister (ex Air Traffic Control at Wittering) lives in Cottesmore.. she only liked Victors not Phantoms....

Baz

If she lives in Cottesmore though, Baz, she'll have been used to Tornados (even though they were GRs) so I could be OK.

I guess I ought to confess to Douglas that I'll be visiting Little Bytham as well and you can't get more Eastern Region than that.

Dave

• Like 9
  • Friendly/supportive 1