Please use M,M&M only for topics that do not fit within other forum areas. All topics posted here await admin team approval to ensure they don't belong elsewhere.

The Night Mail

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Florence Locomotive Works said:

You can find in the same places that sell left hand screwdrivers, tartan paint and long stands.

Bear once sent an Engineering Graduate to the Tool Stores for a Metric Adjustable Allen (or Hex) Key, size 0 to 1".  They weren't happy when they came back.....

• Like 1
  • Funny 10

1 hour ago, Florence Locomotive Works said:

You can find in the same places that sell left hand screwdrivers, tartan paint and long stands.

As I am ambidextrous, I don't have a problem with a left handed screwdriver.  Bill

• Agree 3
  • Funny 8

58 minutes ago, polybear said:

Bear once sent an Engineering Graduate to the Tool Stores for a Metric Adjustable Allen (or Hex) Key, size 0 to 1".  They weren't happy when they came back.....

Didn't you ask for the glass hammer as well?

• Like 2
  • Agree 4

• RMweb Gold

We left Margam at about 1840, and traffic was light.

We crossed over into England, and by the time we got to Leominster, traffic was non existent, so the entire journey took about 2 3/4 hours.

Sadly it would appear that England's penalty shoot out curse has struck again.

• Like 5
  • Agree 4

• RMweb Premium

Regarding the attachment of etched plates to plastic, my method is to put a small dot of five minute epoxy resin onto the model then position the plate and leave it for the glue to cure. This is simply to hold the plate in place while I varnish over it, allowing the varnish to creep over the sides and by capillary action under the plate. It is the varnish that fixes the plate in place rather than the epoxy and I've yet to have one come loose.

Dave

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 3

• RMweb Premium

I finally did some real modeling today, I two-railed two O scale (1/48) freight cars and swapped out the trucks on a third.

1. I added Athearn Andrews trucks/couplers on a car received in an OGR trade. The car I sent had no three-rail trucks as I had removed them (gave them to a three-rail friend) prior to two-railing it. I decided that I did not really like the car as it did not have any reporting marks so I had posted it in an OGR for sale/trade forum and sometime later (about a month) I got an email asking if it were still available. I said yes and selected a GRAND TRUNK WESTERN outside-braced boxcar that was one of two cars offered and said to remove the trucks/couplers and put them on the car I sent.

2. After I purchased a LionScale CONTINENTAL GRAIN three-bay covered hopper (thee-rail, of course) with the idea of converting it to two-rail; holes for mounting Kadee couplers were present. Lionel does not offer 36" two-rail wheelsets so a look on the Northwest Shortline website yielded what proved to be excellent metal replacements. My only real worry was the Lionel rotating bearing caps would not fit. They fit fine and now the car is ready for service. The only thing that I had to do to the wheelsets was color them as they arrived in natural steel. Originally, I thought about using gun blueing but went with a black Sharpie marker as I have one ready to hand and I would have had to order the blueing (and spend a few extra tokens! :biggrin_mini:).

3. The truck swap-out was to replace a set of Intermountain Bettendorfs on an Industrial Rail FIRESTONE/GATX tanker. Someone spent quite a few tokens on those trucks; anyway, I do not like them as I prefer either Weaver or Athearn. Plus I could not put my go-to metal wheelsets in those IM trucks; blunt end axles and the Weaver/Athearn trucks use pointed axles.

• Like 7
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
  • Round of applause 1

It awfully quiet on this thread.  I doubt that it is hangovers, because the majority hare are either Cymro or couldn't give a damn.  I have broken off from the joys of a safeguarding course to type this.  Bill

Edited by bbishop
  • Like 8
  • Funny 1
  • Friendly/supportive 5

• RMweb Gold
13 minutes ago, bbishop said:

It awfully quiet on this thread.  I doubt that it is hangovers, because the majority hare are either Cymro or couldn't give a damn.  I have broken off from the joys of a safeguarding course to type this.  Bill

I was sorry England didn't win the futbul last night, but it didn't break my heart, unlike some others for whom the bottom has fallen out of their world.  However, I can assure them that such an occurrence is far better than having the world fall out of their bottom.

The new tiles have been fitted in the ex conservatory and the grouting will be carried out tomorrow.  The final painting of the walls and ceilings will take place next week.

The tiles vanishing from the garage has given me another little bit of space into which to fit more junk.

I may have to bite the bullet and consign some of the lesser bits of timber to the wood pile at the local recycling centre.

• Like 14

As long as you don't keep goats in the conservatory like a woman was doing on a programme i watched last night. They hadnt been cleaned out for years they had been in the kitchen and living room. They had done their business all over the place. The conservatory itself was knee deep in mucky straw and shall we say "arisings". They teamed the woman who owned the house up with a woman who had ocds witb cleaning.

• Like 2
  • Funny 5

• RMweb Premium

1 hour ago, simontaylor484 said:

As long as you don't keep goats in the conservatory like a woman was doing on a programme i watched last night. They hadnt been cleaned out for years they had been in the kitchen and living room. They had done their business all over the place. The conservatory itself was knee deep in mucky straw and shall we say "arisings". They teamed the woman who owned the house up with a woman who had ocds witb cleaning.

There were some houses I went in to where the people would have thought they were in a clean heaven. It never seemed to stop them breeding though.

Jamie

• Like 1
  • Agree 2
  • Funny 2

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, bbishop said:

Some of us may actually be modelling...

20210712_161105.jpg.76e178fe9a668ac6f737645bbcbf5fd8.jpg

• Like 9
  • Round of applause 5

• RMweb Gold

Goats?  Ugh!  Not our favourite animals ever since one got into the garden and destroyed our veg patch.

I decided against keeping any more of my own after we lost Elsa, although we will look after other peoples chickens, parrot, tortoise, various small furry rodents and the occasional dog.

Cats and goats are conspicuous by their absence from our animal assistance portfolio. 

• Like 2
  • Friendly/supportive 8

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Stubby47 said:

Some of us may actually be modelling...

20210712_161105.jpg.76e178fe9a668ac6f737645bbcbf5fd8.jpg

For that split second I thought you had gone 7 mm!

Which of the Peco range of track and turnouts are you using?

I'm still pondering over a 4 mm line 'for the grandchildren'.

My contribution to  my personal modelling this afternoon was sorting out a box of wiring which has been broken down into useful components, and those bits that were for recycling.

• Like 8

1 hour ago, jamie92208 said:

There were some houses I went in to where the people would have thought they were in a clean heaven. It never seemed to stop them breeding though.

Jamie

When my Dad and my Uncle were valuing housesthey sometimes cane out with fleas the places were so filthy. My Uncle once had to burn the clothes he had been wearing and have his house fumigated

• Friendly/supportive 11

• RMweb Gold
13 hours ago, Happy Hippo said:

For that split second I thought you had gone 7 mm!

Which of the Peco range of track and turnouts are you using?

I'm still pondering over a 4 mm line 'for the grandchildren'.

My contribution to  my personal modelling this afternoon was sorting out a box of wiring which has been broken down into useful components, and those bits that were for recycling.

I wish I could go 7mm, but space is at a premium.

Track therefore will be Code 75 FB, with live frogs and Cobalt motors. TBH I can't see the value in using BH track, the points range is smaller and the fishplates seem to be a nightmare.

From 3ft plus, I'm not sure you can see the difference anyway.

Edited by Stubby47
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Friendly/supportive 4

• RMweb Gold
11 minutes ago, Stubby47 said:

I wish I could go 7mm, but space is at a premium.

Track therefore will be Code 75 FB, with live frogs and Cobalt motors. TBH I can't see the value in using BH track, the points rage is smaller and the fishplates seem to be a nightmare.

From 3ft plus, I'm not sure you can see the difference anyway.

I did consider the Peco Bullhead range, but it is very expensive compared to the Code 75 fb stuff.

Looking at all my fanciful plans for 'their' line, the vast majority of the point work will be at each end of the storage roads.

• Like 6

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, jamie92208 said:

Jamie

And I'll bet they knew every wrinkle under the sun when it came to claiming every benefit known to man.....:angry:

• Agree 9

• RMweb Gold
45 minutes ago, J. S. Bach said:

I see that my friend and I are not the only users of paper switches :jester: :

100_5616.JPG.cdd7fe01068418c2aa1b0c08bf527185.JPG

Wasn't 'San Bernardino' a song by Christie way back?

Yes, just found it but it seems to be missing an 'R':

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium
26 minutes ago, Happy Hippo said:

Wasn't 'San Bernardino' a song by Christie way back?

Yes, just found it but it seems to be missing an 'R':

Never heard of them before. In a similar vein:

• Like 4

• RMweb Premium

When I started with the council in the housing rents department there was one house left in such a state after an eviction that the plaster on the walls had to be replaced together with the floorboards. The occupants just used to urinate up against the walls or where they stood.

• Friendly/supportive 10

I'm back after a sojourn on night shifts, did you miss me?

Firstly congrats Douglas on the job.

I wish I had time to do some modelling.

The saga of clearing mum's house continues,  Almost there but you can't get rid of stuff and I am loathe to throw away stuff that still has life in it. Can't even give it away.

However I suspect mum, ever the joker, is having a laugh at me  from beyond the grave. . I found a letter at Mum's addressed to me, (I've not lived there since 1999, ) from Green Flag telling me I have two overlapping polices with them.

Don't know how, but this could be interesting to sort out.

I apparently  have two breakdown policies with them at an address I don't live at.

Tomorrow is going to be another day wasted on the phone or worse by e mail to which they will reply within 5 working days.

Andy

• Friendly/supportive 16

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, Happy Hippo said:

Goats?  Ugh!  Not our favourite animals ever since one got into the garden and destroyed our veg patch.

When we lived in rural Lincolnshire there was once a herd of miniature Shetland ponies kept in the field next to us. One day they ganged up on the fence and broke into our garden then after pretty much destroying it they set off into the village - the resulting carnage was unbelievable and it took most of the residents to get them rounded up and coralled back in the field. The owner, who actually lived in the next village a couple of miles away, took them somewhere else and paid for all the damage. Before it was restored, though, you'd have thought a Panzer division (or maybe a troop of hippos) had gone through rather than a dozen or so miniature horses not much bigger than large dogs.

Dave     

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 2
  • Friendly/supportive 11