Please use M,M&M only for topics that do not fit within other forum areas. All topics posted here await admin team approval to ensure they don't belong elsewhere.

The Night Mail

• RMweb Premium
8 hours ago, Happy Hippo said:

Topp Trains of Stafford is now probably your nearest.

https://www.topptrains.co.uk/

Unfortunately it's now getting to the point where the cost of travelling to and from the nearest model shops is more than equal to the shipping charges from online sources so unless I need to examine what I am buying beforehand I may as well sit at home and wait for the courier/postman to call. Then, of course, the model shop's trade suffers and they close down so next time I want to look at something....... 

So, one obvious answer is to get supplies from the traders at exhibitions. Oh, hang on, exhibitions..........

And none of these avenues satisfies the requirement known as, "Dammit, I've run out of XXXX, I'll just nip out to........

Welcome to the Brave New World.

Dave  

• Agree 6
  • Friendly/supportive 11

41 minutes ago, figworthy said:

I was warming the veg for my tea this evening when the microwave made an odd noise and stopped dead.  Turning it off and on again (which supposedly fixes everything) hasn't worked, so it's off to the shops tomorrow for a new one.  I only got it in the 1987 January sales.

Adrian

I dare you to take it into a repair shop. Better still, try taking it back to the place where you bought it :D

(Shades of The Parrot sketch.)

• Craftsmanship/clever 1
  • Funny 10

• RMweb Premium
18 minutes ago, simontaylor484 said:

I can imagine the Rmweb version of the Father Ted episode where they got stuck in the lingerie section of the Dublin department store.

We could do one in Shrewsbury with HH, Coastal View and me in the starring roles :dancer:

Dave

• Funny 13

2 minutes ago, Dave Hunt said:

Unfortunately it's now getting to the point where the cost of travelling to and from the nearest model shops is more than equal to the shipping charges from online sources so unless I need to examine what I am buying beforehand I may as well sit at home and wait for the courier/postman to call. Then, of course, the model shop's trade suffers and they close down so next time I want to look at something....... 

So, one obvious answer is to get supplies from the traders at exhibitions. Oh, hang on, exhibitions..........

And none of these avenues satisfies the requirement known as, "Dammit, I've run out of XXXX, I'll just nip out to........

Dave  

We've pretty much given-up trying to find stuff in shops. It's a forty mile round trip into town or a sixty-five mile round trip if we go to Spokane.

• Friendly/supportive 10

• RMweb Premium
12 minutes ago, Dave Hunt said:

Dave  

The solution is to build a bigger stash of "useful stuff".  Tell your significant others, it's a serious plan to avoid travel and postage costs.

• Like 1
  • Agree 9
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Premium
52 minutes ago, Oldddudders said:

This time get a micro-air. Far more versatile, and may save you a fortune in other cooking methods.

There are other cooking methods ?  The catering here tends to be more cordon bleugh than cordon bleu.

18 minutes ago, AndyID said:

I dare you to take it into a repair shop. Better still, try taking it back to the place where you bought it :D

Finding someone who can do repairs may be a bigger challenge than fixing it.  As for taking it back, I think they closed down some time in the nineties.

Adrian

• Like 4
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
  • Funny 3
  • Friendly/supportive 2

Regarding the EIC, the comparison is tenuous. "John Company" was a commercial venture, granted a Royal Charter which basically cost the Crown nothing in the hope that trade and thereby, tax revenue would be created. It did receive protection from the Royal Navy (up to a point) but mostly governed its own affairs because it operated beyond the effective reach of the government in London. It never set out to create a nation, accreting a ramshackle structure of dependencies and alliances, fighting wars against those who threatened its activities. The American colonies were very different. America would break away by force, forming a distinct polity of its own design; John Company would be subsumed by the Crown because it outgrew its capacities.

• Informative/Useful 4
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 4

• RMweb Premium

This morning, I went to collect the loco kit I purchased last weekend, package I collected this one under the radar, Sheila thinks I have too many loco kits, I mean HOW could I possibly have too many kits? So, when I purchased it, I made sure to get it delivered to our local Argos, so I could collect when I was out shopping, a task normally carried out alone! As luck would have it, I was dropping Sheila off for her coffee meeting with some of her friends, so I made the excuse that I needed to go to our local stationers for paper and collect the package on my way back to the car, simples! Of course, when I got back home, the house was empty, so it went straight downstairs to the cellar and was stashed with the rest in the kit pile!

• Like 5
  • Round of applause 7
  • Friendly/supportive 3

3 hours ago, Northmoor said:

The solution is to build a bigger stash of "useful stuff".  Tell your significant others, it's a serious plan to avoid travel and postage costs.

And that may even be the truth!

• Like 8

• RMweb Premium

Having lived in strange places, mail order was part of my life long before the net arrived.

I've ordered kits, not necessarily model railway, from the outer Hebrides the two times I lived there, Northumberland, and here in Norfolk. I didn't attempt it in the Falklands nor Saudi...

Currently it's about a 50 mile round trip to either Norwich or Cromer to suitable shops, but in N and EM both have extremely limited supplies of Highland railway or Midland and south western junction railway suitable materials..

• Like 7
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2

• RMweb Gold
10 hours ago, Dave Hunt said:

Which one of us will play Father Jack?

Dave

Whatever....

I'm more concerned about making sure we have international cooperation.

Here's Luftwaffe Lilli:

image.png.5f2f1c4cda6bfe04c1cb61099feb5532.png

And from the USA, Phoenix Belle:

image.png.6b4049cc5ad07a46b0e8de420a967997.png

Both from the excellent Phoenix Folies range of figurines.

There are saucier ones. but I couldn't possible show them here!

Sorry, I forgot the UK .

Waynetta:

image.png.96cc56f0b977030167309703fc6f9e30.png

Edited by Happy Hippo
Forgot the UK contribution
  • Like 2
  • Round of applause 1
  • Funny 14

• RMweb Premium
31 minutes ago, Happy Hippo said:

Both from the excellent Phoenix Folies range of figurines.

There are saucier ones. but I couldn't possible show them here!

Bear never looked...honest.

Though I wish I'd had a Schoolteacher like that.....

• Like 6
  • Funny 3
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Premium

2 hours ago, Happy Hippo said:

I'm more concerned about making sure we have international cooperation.

Here's Luftwaffe Lilli:

And from the USA, Phoenix Belle:

I do feel sorry for the poor women - clearly the victims of incompetence and/or supply chain failures in the service procurement and quartermaster's departments.

12 hours ago, rockershovel said:

Regarding the EIC, the comparison is tenuous. "John Company" was a commercial venture, granted a Royal Charter which basically cost the Crown nothing in the hope that trade and thereby, tax revenue would be created. It did receive protection from the Royal Navy (up to a point) but mostly governed its own affairs because it operated beyond the effective reach of the government in London. It never set out to create a nation, accreting a ramshackle structure of dependencies and alliances, fighting wars against those who threatened its activities. The American colonies were very different. America would break away by force, forming a distinct polity of its own design; John Company would be subsumed by the Crown because it outgrew its capacities.

EIC flag:

image.png.004987d07ad55370d427b937db770072.png

Grand Union flag or "Continental Colours" - the first flag adopted by the rebel colonists:

image.png.bcc76469f08e1285792f8894f3cf336d.png

The EIC flag was derived from the common use of a red-and-white striped banner in the far east, cf the modern flag of Malaysia:

image.png.88385f5ce771789fdc43dc32c8567c0b.png

known, curiously enough as Jalur Gemilang (Stripes of Glory)!

• Informative/Useful 10

The original colonists were, of course, British in origin and many saw no necessary contradiction between being Crown Subjects, and self-governing. Had Westminster been prepared to grant autonomous taxation, or alternatively representation in Parliament then the Loyalist faction might well have carried the day. The outcome certainly laid the foundations for the subsequent Dominion structures of Canada, Australia and NZ. Don't forget also that the French were still active on the American mainland at the time, and the colonial administration also wished to exclude them from influence in their newly-independent polity

• Like 2
  • Agree 3
  • Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Premium
3 minutes ago, rockershovel said:

The original colonists were, of course, British in origin and many saw no necessary contradiction between being Crown Subjects, and self-governing. 

More or less the position of the Nabobs of the EIC.

• Like 3