Please use M,M&M only for topics that do not fit within other forum areas. All topics posted here await admin team approval to ensure they don't belong elsewhere.

The Night Mail

5 hours ago, Florence Locomotive Works said:

I got home from school this afternoon and decided to fire up ye olde Toyo and make some bushings for the crank bosses

When you have a lathe and get the hang of it you'll find it hard to imagine how you ever got on without one :D

• Like 7
  • Agree 4

On 20/01/2022 at 21:18, Winslow Boy said:

Don't you mean LD. It's terrifying seeing a bear high on concentrated Lemon Drizzle.

It’s only a short (chemical) step between LD and LSD - which explains a lot.

Just thought that you’d like to know…

• Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
  • Funny 9

19 hours ago, Happy Hippo said:

My latest food related pastime is making biscuits.…

Well done that pachyderm!

Which reminds me, in my cabinet of culinary curios I have some biscuit stamps/cutters and I should get out the bourbon biscuit stamp.

I promised Mrs iD some chocolate bourbon biscuits this weekend

• Like 10

• RMweb Premium

Last night we had some awful decisions to make. For supper we had to choose between,

A) the slices of cake bought at Gateaux that afternoon 

B)  A slice of a lovely moist banana and ginger cake made by Beth 

C) A fruit scone made that morning, sliced and buttered.

It's a hard life but in the end we chose C, as scones are best eaten the day they are made and the cake hasn't been iced yet.

Jamie

Edited by jamie92208
  • Like 8
  • Round of applause 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
On 20/01/2022 at 20:18, Winslow Boy said:

Don't you mean LD. It's terrifying seeing a bear high on concentrated Lemon Drizzle.

That's nothing compared to the day I got hold of some Blue Smarties......

• Like 1
  • Funny 10
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
On 20/01/2022 at 22:31, br2975 said:

She was only the Admiral's daughter....................but her naval base was full of seamen ?

So, while we are at it :

She was only a ganger's daughter, but she knew how to examine your length.

Or

She was only a ganger's daughter, but she knew how to keep her P Way clear. 

• Round of applause 1
  • Funny 8

27 minutes ago, Oldddudders said:

So, while we are at it :

She was only a ganger's daughter, but she knew how to examine your length.

Or

She was only a ganger's daughter, but she knew how to keep her P Way clear. 

We may have touched on this before (*ahem*) but compare the last, with Malvolio's description of Olivia's distinctive handwriting in Twelfth Night...

• Like 2
  • Round of applause 2

• RMweb Gold

I haven’t used a lathe for years, since leaving school. The next time I wanted to use one was when I was a science teacher at a school in Essex. The CDT department head said I couldn’t use one to make some model railway item without going on a County approved course. The next time was when I was working as an advisory IT teacher.  I suspect quite a few of the CDT teachers would have let me go after school but I hadn’t really got time for trains then. However our Applied Computing CSE had a section on CAD and CAM. The Borough advisers for CDT objected strongly to our purchase of a small lathe and insisted that all such things should be in the resistant materials curriculum. However they could only ever produce the test item which was a chess pawn. The entry of codes seemed to be the sticking point. I know a couple of colleagues offered to help. The CDT teachers at the sixth form college where I finally worked had all sorts of traditional and computer controlled stuff and knew how to use it. 

• Informative/Useful 1
  • Friendly/supportive 8

6 hours ago, jamie92208 said:

Last night we had some awful decisions to make. For supper we had to choose between,

A) the slices of cake bought at Gateaux that afternoon 

B)  A slice of a lovely moist banana and ginger cake made by Beth 

C) A fruit scone made that morning, sliced and buttered.

It's a hard life but in the end we chose C, as scones are best eaten the day they are made and the cake hasn't been iced yet.

Some days life life is so hard

• Like 1
  • Agree 8

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Canal Digger said:

Some days life life is so hard

Decision making has progressed.  The very last two scones were eaten with coffee after wood chopping late morning.

The slice of Gateaux cake was eaten for lunch.

I am awaiting a friend to arrive then we plan to quality control the ginger and banana cake which has now had lemon icing drizzled over it.  A fish pie and plum crumble are ready to eat with our friends this evening.

Life is almost unbearable.

Oh just as a bonus we had a very good hour chatting with Emily and her mums this morning.

Jamie

Edited by jamie92208
  • Like 10
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
21 minutes ago, Happy Hippo said:

Good Lord, I've had three injections from Pfizer.

No wonder my arm was so bloody stiff afterwards!

Only one of mine was from Pfizer.  I am not supposed to indulge in their blue tablets due to a slight risk of nasty effects arising from cancer treatment a number of years ago.  Darn - that's all the fun spoiled ;)  

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 10

• RMweb Premium
22 hours ago, J. S. Bach said:

From the photo description:

"During operation, they occasionally ran over the cord."

I would like to have seen that! :biggrin_mini:

Anyone who has used a mains electric lawn mower knows what it is like.

Edited by PhilJ W
  • Like 2
  • Agree 1
  • Funny 2

TNM is well represented in MRJ 288.  Our Squadron Leader has penned an obituary of Bob Essery.  Also our constabularic representative has written an article on Modelling Overhead Line Equipment for Lancaster Green Ayre in 7mm.    Well worth an acquisition.  Bill

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 2
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Premium
11 hours ago, Happy Hippo said:

I just love making swarf from previously useful  lengths of metal.

At Bear's previous Model Engineering Evening Class (held at a different College) there was one guy who the Instructor described as "The only guy I know who can turn a perfectly good piece of metal into a pile of f****** scrap"

Personally I think that was being a tad generous....

• Like 5
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1
  • Funny 5

• RMweb Gold
38 minutes ago, polybear said:

there was one guy who the Instructor described as "The only guy I know who can turn a perfectly good piece of metal into a pile of f****** scrap"

It is alleged that the same was true of [insert name of your most hated] loco works.

• Agree 1
  • Round of applause 1
  • Funny 9

• RMweb Premium

Good evening TNMers. I've been a bit absent recently due to a plethora of family and personal issues, the latter involving an unwelcome visit from the black dog, but I'm hoping that there is a spot of light at the end of the tunnel that isn't the six fifteen coming the other way.

Anyway, today I had a good day out at the Museum of Making in Derby where they had a theme day titled Full Steam Ahead that was, as can well be imagined, all about railways in and around Derby and which was very well attended. I was there as part of the Midland Railway Study Centre team and thoroughly enjoyed myself, not least because of meeting and chatting with friends, two of which I hadn't seen for over ten years.

Dave

• Like 9
  • Round of applause 1
  • Friendly/supportive 9

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, polybear said:

"The only guy I know who can turn a perfectly good piece of metal into a pile of f****** scrap"

I may have caused a woodwork teacher to mutter something similar.

• Like 2
  • Funny 10
  • Friendly/supportive 1