Please use M,M&M only for topics that do not fit within other forum areas. All topics posted here await admin team approval to ensure they don't belong elsewhere.

The Night Mail

• RMweb Gold

I've now returned to the safety of the Hippodrome.

Gogledd was ok, but the liquid sunshine was very depressing compared with that of the Brecon Beacons and further south.

I shall need the afternoon for R&R, because we came back via that carbuncle on the face of Cheshire, Cheshire Oaks

• Friendly/supportive 12

Here H why should I be receiving missives from Fleabag exhorting me to purchase Hippopotamus collections?

What I you been up to? Have you been non depluming again?

I'm going to have to change my virtual identification again arn't i.

Disgruntled from Manucopia

• Funny 8

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, Winslow Boy said:

Here H why should I be receiving missives from Fleabag exhorting me to purchase Hippopotamus collections?

I got them too the day after some hippo ornaments were posted on Early Risers. 

• Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 4

• RMweb Gold
40 minutes ago, bbishop said:

Hey, that was my mother's home town!  Bill

It was mine too from the age of 4 till I got married at 22.

I don't go back anymore. 

• Like 3
  • Friendly/supportive 3

• RMweb Premium

At least it's been fairly dry here of late so there isn't a muddy hollow to persuade him to stay.

When we lived in Anglesey in the mid-70s the A55 still ran through all the North Wales coast towns so the journey from Jill's parents' place in Formby to our house was horrendous in the summer. The experience did nothing for my opinion of places recently mentioned on TNM.

Dave

• Like 2
  • Agree 2
  • Funny 7

• RMweb Gold

I am planning my sortie to Hunt Towers.  It will require the usual PPR before departure.

A quick trip has turned into a far more detailed mission.

'You cannot possible go there in that state.  Unshaven and covered in various muddy concoctions and a fine layer of sawdust'.  Chirped Nyda.

'Think of the ammunition you'd give him if you turned up, dressed like a grubby old tramp' she continued. 

'You know what the RAF are like!' she concluded.

'But it's now Friday and they never work after 1530 on a Thursday afternoon' I countered. (To no avail.)

I am now off to tidy up... I may be some considerable time!

• Funny 16

• RMweb Gold

I was greeted on the tarmac by the RAF Honour Guard and Horace, Hunt Towers's self appointed mascot.

I visited the hanger and saw evidence of many hard pressed erks working on polishing the floor to a high gloss and everything in it's correct place.

I did spot a diesel 'on shed' but thought it polite not to inquire as to why it was lurking.

Goodies were transferred and I got away for my next drop off as the weather was closing in.

Dave and Jill then hit the Gin bottle as a way of merciful release.

Edited by Happy Hippo
  • Like 5
  • Round of applause 1
  • Funny 7
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Premium
14 minutes ago, Happy Hippo said:

I was greeted on the tarmac by the RAF Honour Guard and Horace, Hunt Towers's self appointed mascot.

I visited the hanger and saw evidence of many hard pressed erks working on polishing the floor to a high gloss and everything in it's correct place.

I did spot a diesel 'on shed' but thought it polite not to inquire as to why it was lurking.

Goodies were transferred and I got away for my next drop off as the weather was closing in.

So a brown job met a blue job and no wzr broke out.

Jamie

• Like 2
  • Agree 3
  • Funny 4

• RMweb Premium
55 minutes ago, Happy Hippo said:

Ok, but did you get any cake??

• Agree 4
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
  • Funny 4

• RMweb Premium

An eventful day. First Dad was released from purdah the nursing home and reoccupied his own home for the first time in just under twelve weeks since his fall. Getting him the treatment he's needed in that time has been a bit of an uphill task and on occasions I've realised how Sisyphus felt rolling his stone only to see it run away again. However, it's been worth it to see Dad once more mobile enough to live at home, even though he still hasn't got full strength in the leg he injured. Jill is spending a couple of nights at his house to get him settled in and I went round this evening to fix a meal and make sure that they had everything necessary. We hope to return to something like normal by mid-week.

Then came the welcome news that the makers of our new kitchen water heater, which hasn't heated any water successfully since being installed a month ago, have at last admitted that it is faulty and have agreed to replace it. It turns out that we are not the only ones to have complained about this particular model and they have been 'looking into it' - which, of course, doesn't excuse their failure to respond to phone calls and emails but never mind. 

The afternoon was then marked by activation of the PHEWS* which gave just enough time to get the cake stock into the deep bunker before HH appeared over the horizon bearing gifts of plastikard in exchange for some formed bits of nickel silver that I have donated to the SWOTS**. 

And so ends the day. Who knows what tomorrow will bring? Watch this space.

Good night one and all.

Dave

* Pachyderm Homing-in Early Warning System

** South Walesian O-gauge Tracklaying Society

Edited by Dave Hunt
  • Like 12
  • Thanks 1
  • Round of applause 3