Whatley Quarry in 4mm OO Finescale 1988-92

lyneux

• RMweb Premium
6 hours ago, lyneux said:

The plain track is Exactoscale fast track bases (4FT106A) obtained from the EMGS stores. More details at: https://exactoscale.com/

If you attend either ExpoEM or Scaleforum I suspect you will be able to pick it up (or join either society - even if you don't model EM or P4 but are just interested in finescale).

Guy

Thanks for that, much appreciated.

Bare with me on the next question....OO finescale is not P4 or EM gauge ? so if I go the finescale  route I can run existing rolling stock without wheel swaps...My scenic section is going to be two long straights with a junction so im more tempted this time to have a bash. OO fine scale seems to be a mash up of normal oo gauge with he looks of P4 / EM....if ive understood correctly.

PS - if my research is correct the exactoscale is not to be fitted with code 75 rail....which would make joining to rest of layout 'tricky' 🙃

Edited by Norski
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Norski said:

Thanks for that, much appreciated.

Bare with me on the next question....OO finescale is not P4 or EM gauge ? so if I go the finescale  route I can run existing rolling stock without wheel swaps...My scenic section is going to be two long straights with a junction so im more tempted this time to have a bash. OO fine scale seems to be a mash up of normal oo gauge with he looks of P4 / EM....if ive understood correctly.

PS - if my research is correct the exactoscale is not to be fitted with code 75 rail....which would make joining to rest of layout 'tricky' 🙃

Oh gosh... it's a big subject and to make things worse there are many 'standards' (meaning there isn't really a standard). Whatley is built to DOGA intermediate to maximise the compatibility of stock on the layout and uses a mix of Peco Code 82 on the older boards (no longer available) and EMGS Code 83 on the newer ones.

Suffice to say, I regret not building this in EM or P4 knowing what I know now and I'd strongly advise anyone wanting to build their own track to just bite the bullet and choose one of these two. It's so much better having a proper wheel/rail set of standards to work to and swapping wheels is actually very easy for diesel and electric stock (don't let it put you off!).

Guy

• Thanks 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, lyneux said:

Oh gosh... it's a big subject and to make things worse there are many 'standards' (meaning there isn't really a standard). Whatley is built to DOGA intermediate to maximise the compatibility of stock on the layout and uses a mix of Peco Code 82 on the older boards (no longer available) and EMGS Code 83 on the newer ones.

Suffice to say, I regret not building this in EM or P4 knowing what I know now and I'd strongly advise anyone wanting to build their own track to just bite the bullet and choose one of these two. It's so much better having a proper wheel/rail set of standards to work to and swapping wheels is actually very easy for diesel and electric stock (don't let it put you off!).

Guy

It really is a rabbit hole and there's "nothing like a standard"...quite literally. Thanks for the explanation. Much appreciated.

• Like 1

Slightly jaded after a late night last night so have been sorting pictures and working on a few areas that i have very little information about. One of them is the culvert through which Fordbury Water runs.

I found this photograph on Flickr by Ian Purkess that I think shows  the culvert's construction. I'm guessing a bit, but I think the concrete sections are sections of the culvert.

2022-04-06_01-43-18

This seems to correlate with the only picture that I have of the culvert opening (can't share here) that seems to show a side-on photo of the box-section protruding from the cut/covered landscape.

• Like 10

• 3 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

Enjoyed reading the 5 pages Guy, shame a lot of the photos are missing from the earlier pages due to the forum crash!

Great looking layout and captures it well. Trackwork looks very good. Then it all does!
I live pretty close by and worked as an electrician at Foster Yeoman 1999 to 2003 never took on single photo! Never crossed my mind! As all my focus was on kettles pre 1968! Look back now I worked everywhere over the railway could of captured some decent stuff.

I did go over to the wagon repairs shed at Whatley once to look at some lighting, so saw what you have modelled there from inside the fence as it were, your doing/done a great job on it.

The culvert photo your short of I’m sure I could get for you but wouldn’t be until I’m that way. So might be next week might be in a months time no good really I know!

Following with much interest.

Ade

• Like 1

Thanks Ade for the kind comments. It's a little while until I do the culvert so plenty of time to snap me a pic! 😃

All the track is now painted so probably the next job will be to sort out the back scene and some landscaping before ballasting.

Thanks,

Guy

• Friendly/supportive 1

• 1 month later...

I'm most impressed with your Whatley layout as I've always had a soft spot for the Mendip stone quarries since being introduced to the area as a boy in 1988.

I occasionally cycle past the quarry to see what's happening, I took the below photo's this morning.  Hopefully they are of interest.

Cheers,

Chris

IMG_5492.jpg.954b421ef590a3af0d33cac86d127a71.jpgIMG_5493.jpg.de463546e0dec32792d95f934b2b1b60.jpg

• Like 15

• 2 weeks later...
On 31/03/2024 at 19:19, Marcoblanco said:

is pg013d available as a kit by chance? ;-]

In future hopefully yes. I have some family issues at the moment that mean I don't have time right now.

Guy

• Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
2 minutes ago, lyneux said:

In future hopefully yes. I have some family issues at the moment that mean I don't have time right now.

Guy

An article on their construction will be in the next MRJ, issue 303. 
I will be chasing you up for captions in the next day or so Guy!😊

Jerry

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium
On 23/01/2024 at 16:14, lyneux said:

Thanks Ade for the kind comments. It's a little while until I do the culvert so plenty of time to snap me a pic! 😃

Hi Guy happened to be driving by yesterday but my hoped for camera position on the lower slopes of the wood was unreachable in the wet conditions. So much as other photos here I was limited to the road bridge to look at the Calvert.

C2F66BA2-90BB-44E0-85C4-B42F7A0C7A1F.jpeg.a2b5f7d8e1afbb501ba767ce893f6915.jpeg

95F5E903-FB10-48DB-A161-275B3E7134F5.jpeg.35588366eeb97a81a16c81f91517a721.jpeg

That’s the best I could obtain sorry.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Thanks for trying Ade!

I had a quick run of my new Cavalex 56 on the layout this week and couldn’t resist adding some PGAs even though they are not finished yet. The Redland wagon is acting as a barrier for the moment until I get compatible couplings on the 56.

IMG_4791.jpeg.9c19aaa0ab9202c45bc32e155b62081c.jpeg

I need to take the layout to the storage locker this morning and swap it for Oldshaw which needs prepping ahead of its appearance at Calne show this weekend.

Guy

• Like 9
  • Friendly/supportive 1