Your card system has just solved the problem on my 0-16.5 narrow gauge quayside layout, when I eventually finish it.(About 12 months per foot so far and its 8 feet long! When I started it no one was doing quaysides, now I'm the last of many) I was almost there, but you have crossed the "T"s and dotted the"I"s, thank you very much.

I haven't an ice cream in hells chance of achieving the atmosphere you have though.

Phil T.

Edited by Phil Traxson

• 2 months later...

I've not posted in this for a while now but this week I took a break from locomotive building to mess about with a few details for the railway.

post-494-0-32395400-1360171336.jpg

Although 45 gallon (?) drums are readily available from the likes of Skytrex and Duncan models I have yet to see any 5 gallon drums, so I set about making some from scratch. The body is a length of plastic pipe, to which are stuck paper discs, as cut out by file punch. The discs aren't quite the correct diameter but are near enough and become hidden by the paint anyway.

The cap is a sliver of plastic rod and the handle is folded paper. The body is then wrapped with a cover that has been made in photoshop and printed off. It is slightly higher than the body to give the appearance of the raised lip around the rolled edge of this type of drum. In addition to the local firm Batoyle I have also produced some Castrol drums. This size is ideal for placing on locomotives alongside the more usual oil containers.

In the background is a Skytrex casting of a stack of boxes that I have painted and added labels to.

post-494-0-03940100-1360171388.jpg

Duncan models oil drums with home-made hand pumps and Shell logos.

• Like 11

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

Evening Dave,

Lovely video. Show's that Sentinel off nicely. There's times when you have to look twice to see if it's real or not.

What's next on the workbench front?

Cheers,

Mark

Thanks, chaps. On the workbench (dining room table!) ATM is a Slaters Palvan that is awaiting a missing part, which I shall be collecting from Slaters tomorrow at Kettering. Next on the table should be a Peckett X2 kit ,that I shall also be collecting tomorrow, from Trevor of Mercian Models.

Edited by Ruston
  • Like 1

Here's a little video of the Sentinel. Details of the build can be found in my blog thing.

:good: Smashing video: really good viewpoints and motion......... :yes:

......but all this infernal combustion malarkey; it`ll never catch-on, you know! :mosking:

Edited by Debs.
  • Like 1

Well, Debs, it was all downhill for Bury's after that. Now the site is flattened and new houses are being built there. Today I was passing the site of Bury's works and went to see if anything was left. I got talking to this old boy who's house overlooked the site and he told me that he had some old silent cine film in a drawer somewhere. Apparently he was trying out colour film for the first time. He also gave me a few colour slides from the 1960s too.

I videoed this straight from his original film so I'm afraid there's a lot of noise from the old projector...

• Like 12

• RMweb Gold

Thanks, chaps. On the workbench (dining room table!) ATM is a Slaters Palvan that is awaiting a missing part, which I shall be collecting from Slaters tomorrow at Kettering. Next on the table should be a Peckett X2 kit ,that I shall also be collecting tomorrow, from Trevor of Mercian Models.

That sounds like a few bits to keep you busy.

I was planning on going to the Kettering show tomorrow only living nearby but then decided to work instead! Still probably saved me a few pennies by not going.

Cheers,

Mark

Dave

Not much to critisize here, but a suggestion, most shunting locomotives used a spare 3 link coupling on the hook ( it gave extra reach and was easier to pick up with a shunting pole than a screw coupling )rarely modelled as far as I can see. Most shunters also carried a shunting pole & break stick on the buffer beam or the side of the loco. I mention this as you have not missed any other small details - the difference between a realy good model and perfection is built on such minutia.

Funny you should mention those as I was thinking of brake sticks the other day. I suppose they're easy enough to make once you know the dimensions, but shunter's poles are something I can't get my head around making. It's that funny hook on the end that starts off hollow and the diameter of the shaft but tapers to a curly point. I can't think how to make that bit.

Anyone got the dimensions of both, or a way of making a shunting pole?

......or a way of making a shunting pole?

An idea:

5-minute epoxy.....Mix a small amount and form a blob on the end of a wooden skewer (of appropriate dia.) keep rolling/rotating the skewer to defy the effects of gravity, until the resin is half-cured (almost-firm and barely-tacky) and then 'pull' a strand (as if were toffee or semi-molten glass) into a "pig-tail" using fine/pointy tweezers.....the pulled strand would naturally stay wider at the root and thin out as it twists towards the tweezers......hold as steadily as you can until the cure firms....though if it wilts; carefully playing a little heat from a heat gun will make the resin re-soften, permitting adjustment of the "pig-tail".

Bit of 'trial and error' with the half-cure aspect and the twist, and there`d be subsequent trimming needed (of course) but it should work....then shape the thicker (root blob) end like the real one`s metal-cup.

• Like 1

I think that 'Midland Record' has a set of offical drawings for shunters/guards tools, I will have a look through my set tonight and see if I can find them.

On the matter of brake sticks, most industrial sites would see the as a luxury with the shunters pole being used, and ending up banana shaped!

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...