MDO & MDV 21 Ton Mineral Wagons, by Accurascale

• RMweb Gold
On 14/11/2023 at 22:41, dmsmith said:

I’d be interested to know whether anyone has converted this latest batch of either unfitted MDOs or vacuum-fitted MDVs to EM or P4. I was put off the first batch by stories that it wasn’t at all straightforward, which missed the point of buying RTR rather than building a kit. But there was a suggestion that the issues would be addressed in this new batch …

Best wishes

David

David - I didn't find conversion of the original batches (both MDVs and MDOs) to P4 that difficult, David. It is possible!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 04/12/2023 at 10:34, JSpencer said:

The coal loads are brilliant. ... Two pieces of soft foam that hold the coal steady in the package also work well to increase the height of the coal in the wagon (put foam in first at each end and then place the coal load on top).  ...

Glue the foam in place under the 'Accuracoal' - then drop it in place as a unit.

• Like 2

I have a spare of both D & E MDV sets from the original run to sell - NIB in the original post packaging - anyone wants both - same price as I bought them from AS with a bit of postage - please PM me.

• RMweb Gold
5 hours ago, Enterprisingwestern said:

Do tell.

Mike.

I'd have to dig out various photos and the MDVs that I converted are not my own.

As far as I can recall, there were two major things that I did:

- trim brake shoes back

- use Black Beetle 12mm disc wheels (rather than 12.5mm 3-hole discs). The slightly smaller size isn't noticeable in terms of ride height, the wheels themselves are machined well and turn true and unless I told you (oh, drat, I did!), you probably wouldn't notice the lack of holes when the wagons are right-way up, on the layout...

• Like 2

17 hours ago, Covkid said:

What you need is a beat up class 31, as used extensively for ballast work in the West Midlands back in the day.

There is more than one manufacturer of class 31s, but I have an order with Accurascale  !!!  

EDIT

Not sure if this link will work but here is a Flickr image of a West Midlands electrification train of the type the "special" wagon was used in.

The Flickr user is Richard Norris and the caption reads

A nice colourful image in fine evening light.....31119 (D5537) +31101 (D5518) Northfield OTP Depot-Lichfield City via Burton on Trent electrification train Saltley 12 June 1991

A nice colourful image in fine evening light.....31119 (D5537) +31101 (D5518) Northfield OTP Depot-Lichfield City via Burton on Trent electrification train Saltley 12 June 1991

I needed an excuse to buy an accurascale 31. Thank you! 👍👍

• RMweb Premium
15 hours ago, Captain Kernow said:

I'd have to dig out various photos and the MDVs that I converted are not my own.

- trim brake shoes back

- use Black Beetle 12mm disc wheels (rather than 12.5mm 3-hole discs). The slightly smaller size isn't noticeable in terms of ride height, the wheels themselves are machined well and turn true and unless I told you (oh, drat, I did!), you probably wouldn't notice the lack of holes when the wagons are right-way up, on the layout...

Thank you! I have invested in both a set of unfitted and fitted wagons from the new batch. I’m halfway through converting the unfitted wagons.

So far, no problems. I gently removed the safety loops, released the brake gear from the chassis frame, and eased out the cross shaft from the brake vees. I did reduce the depth of the socket for the cross shaft slightly so that when I reassembled with the brake gear in the alternative locating holes that Accurascale provide for EM and P4, it sat slightly better. But, most importantly, I too used 12.0 mm diameter wheels. Mine were Kean Maygib DMU wheels. No holes, but not noticeable. The Accurascale wheels are slightly undersize—about 12.2 mm diameter at their smallest. I will try to turn down the original wheels once I get my lathe set up. I haven’t tried them on a layout.

I’ll report back once I’ve moved on to the MDWs.

Best wishes

David

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, dmsmith said:

Thank you! I have invested in both a set of unfitted and fitted wagons from the new batch. I’m halfway through converting the unfitted wagons.

So far, no problems. I gently removed the safety loops, released the brake gear from the chassis frame, and eased out the cross shaft from the brake vees. I did reduce the depth of the socket for the cross shaft slightly so that when I reassembled with the brake gear in the alternative locating holes that Accurascale provide for EM and P4, it sat slightly better. But, most importantly, I too used 12.0 mm diameter wheels. Mine were Kean Maygib DMU wheels. No holes, but not noticeable. The Accurascale wheels are slightly undersize—about 12.2 mm diameter at their smallest. I will try to turn down the original wheels once I get my lathe set up. I haven’t tried them on a layout.

Best wishes

David

Good luck with the conversion, David.

I did my own MDOs first and the first one (of 3) that I converted, I used conventional 3-hole disc wheels (probably Gibson), obviously 12.5mm diameter. It was this wagon in particular where I had to cut the brake shoes down quite a bit, then I realised that the BB wheels would be a better bet!

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
22 hours ago, Captain Kernow said:

- trim brake shoes back

6 hours ago, dmsmith said:

Best wishes

David

4 hours ago, Captain Kernow said:

Good luck with the conversion, David.

I did my own MDOs first and the first one (of 3) that I converted, I used conventional 3-hole disc wheels (probably Gibson), obviously 12.5mm diameter. It was this wagon in particular where I had to cut the brake shoes down quite a bit, then I realised that the BB wheels would be a better bet!

Having got shafted when I purchased the original batch I then went over to Chivers for the vac fitted variety.

I converted 1 AS wagon to proper wheels, but life's too short, and it didn't look very good having undersized brake shoes, so on the others I just pulled out the original wheels to EM as a short term expedient, I'll look at options to do them properly at some time in the future, probably etched brass replacement brake gear.

Mike.

• Informative/Useful 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Premium

I’ve actually gone rather crazy on 21-ton minerals. I started last year by cutting down the bodies of some 24 1/2-ton Parkside bodies and using Rumney models underframes. But then Chivers brought out their kit. That includes moulded headstocks and reasonable underframe mouldings, so I used some Masokits foldup sprung chassis. I then thought that I might as well try the Accurascale way.

Most enjoyment? Definitely the Parkside/Rumney versions. The Rumney chassis gives excellent results. Quickest? The Accurascale, although sourcing 12.0 mm wheels should be an unnecessary faff.  

i’m not sure why I started on the project. Maybe because I’ve not long moved to Swansea, and work not far from the Burrows yard.

I’ll post some pictures at some point when I’ve finished them.

Thanks for your advice and encouragement!

David

Edited by dmsmith
  • Like 4

12 hours ago, dmsmith said:

... sourcing 12.0 mm wheels should be an unnecessary faff.  ...

No faff at all - I just reached into my 'Wheels' shash and picked out some Gibson wagon wheels : 12.0mm OK.

On 29/01/2024 at 09:24, Captain Kernow said:

... 3-hole disc wheels (probably Gibson), obviously 12.5mm diameter. ...

Probably NOT Gibson ................. ALWAYS MEASURE wheel diameters - they're often not what it says on the tin.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
On 30/01/2024 at 10:46, Wickham Green too said:

No faff at all - I just reached into my 'Wheels' shash and picked out some Gibson wagon wheels : 12.0mm OK.

Probably NOT Gibson ................. ALWAYS MEASURE wheel diameters - they're often not what it says on the tin.

I’m sorry that it has taken me some time to reply, but I’d wanted to check the diameter of the wheels that I had first used. Those were 12.3 mm diameter at their smallest, but whilst I thought they were Gibsons, there was a chance they might be original Kean Maygibs.  I therefore tried some Gibson’s from a branded packet: 12.3 mm at their smallest. Maybe the variation in diameter between wheels is that much. Your advice to measure therefore seems very wise. That 0.3 mm seems to make all the difference. It is because the Accurascale brake blocks are admirably close to the wheels.

Thanks for your advice!

David

• Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold

Did we (someone) mention that the RTR wheels on these wagons (or was it some other wagons) measured at just under 12mm diameter? That made fitting correct 12.5mm wheels doubly difficult...

• RMweb Gold
6 minutes ago, Captain Kernow said:

Did we (someone) mention that the RTR wheels on these wagons (or was it some other wagons) measured at just under 12mm diameter? That made fitting correct 12.5mm wheels doubly difficult...

The most annoying/troublesome thing is that the (excellently represented) brake blocks and rigging is sized and fitted to the wheel diameter, so alteration is not a simple job.

Mike.

• Agree 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
12 minutes ago, Enterprisingwestern said:

The most annoying/troublesome thing is that the (excellently represented) brake blocks and rigging is sized and fitted to the wheel diameter, so alteration is not a simple job.

Mike.

Indeed, Mike.

I've converted some MDOs, some MDVs and some HUOs and I'm sure the undersize wheels featured on one of them, I just can't recall which ones...