Proto 2000 split gears

newbryford

• RMweb Premium

I bought a second hand Proto 2000 GP30 a few weeks ago and discovered it had split gears.

I had read about these previously as a well documented issue.

The replacement parts are either Athearn #60024 or Walthers A-line #40005.

Searched around for a UK dealer or ebay seller and it looked like they were out of stock in most places, but due for delivery in late October at Power Hobby from NY state.

Two weeks after ordering two packs with what I consider to be very reasonable P&P (£5.40) , they've arrived at my door.

The only thing to watch is that the Athearn gears need enlarging to 2.3mm for the Proto 2000 axle.

I didn't have a 2.3mm drill to hand,  but careful use with a long taper brooch and I now have a smooth running GP30.

I will probably be using Power Hobby again.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Athearn-ATH60024-HO-Scale-SD40-2-Drive-Axle-Gear-Set-6/303750392794?epid=27019006731&hash=item46b8ef2bda:g:1YwAAOSwIOheqPYD

• Like 5
  • Informative/Useful 1

Ive got six Proto 2000 GP9s my folks brought back from the US some years ago. Superb models, not heavily used but well cared for, or so I thought. Then the horrible clicking sound started. Which got worse and developed into a clunking and stuttering performance. All of them were affected, I was gutted. 

Luckily a family friend from California very kindly ordered up the 24 axles required and posted them over, postage wasn’t that expensive, I got them within 14 days. I posted the axle change on here somewhere but I was also doing a multi Heljan Clayton chassis change at the time so it’s possible it ended up on that forum by default. All the locos preform faultlessly again now. 

EC41EDA3-5003-4972-82D6-DF28B2EC14CE.png.e09b214e3acbf4f92e18d17f57bcba79.png

• Like 3

The Walthers wheels sets  were straight replacements without any need to remove wheel discs and change the gears over etc. I cleaned all the old lubricant off the gears and gear tower and re lubed with the following grease. Happy days.

4BA9C50F-B5E7-4E92-AE37-48E8B6792210.jpeg.3604e71d7a3475f7981e87c78b9e6113.jpeg

• 2 months later...
  • RMweb Premium

My GP30 seems to be showing signs of the same problem, loud clicking from a couple of wheelsets (ironically a Proto 2000 GP7 from the same period which I have just acquired as a bit of a wreck is in fact absolutely fine!) so I need a set of these too.

I looked at getting these direct from Walthers but they are quoting an eyewatering $24 postage!!!  :swoon:

• RMweb Premium
19 minutes ago, John M Upton said:

My GP30 seems to be showing signs of the same problem, loud clicking from a couple of wheelsets (ironically a Proto 2000 GP7 from the same period which I have just acquired as a bit of a wreck is in fact absolutely fine!) so I need a set of these too.

I looked at getting these direct from Walthers but they are quoting an eyewatering $24 postage!!!  :swoon:

£6.40 plus £6.14 postage - get two sets and combine post.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Athearn-ATH60024-HO-Scale-SD40-2-Drive-Axle-Gear-Set-6/303833928082?epid=27019006731&hash=item46bde9d192:g:1YwAAOSwIOheqPYD

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium

I have browsed that seller, Power Hobby's website. Quite a few little bits and pieces which I am quite tempted by which means I may make a larger order up including wheels and gears to spread out the postage a bit more evenly.

Many thanks!

I have bought from this seller several times recently and had great service every time. It is counter intuitive, but if you buy multiples in the same consignment there is a high risk of delay, tax, and collection fees.  Small packages are cost effective. Buy only what you need and then place another order later if you want spares.   You can salvage  a split axle muff, typically if it is not split completely, by melting around the split with a 12W soldering iron with the stub axle removed. Just don't do it until the replacements arrive, by then, you have nothing to lose.  

In my experience, Proto 2000 GP30s and the older Geeps were the most affected.  I was surprised to find some of my older Athearn units were also blighted, but they generally don't  exhibit the clicking so readily. On one occasion, a couple of the Athearn replacements had split in the unopened pack.

I suspect it is a widespread problem that often goes unnoticed (especially by ebay traders!).

Phil

• RMweb Premium
12 hours ago, newbryford said:

Postage has gone up a bit, now $27 for the slow boat option just for one pack of gears!!!!

Plan B.....

• RMweb Gold

I have been using A-Line gears vis a trader in the USA on Ebay. These are just the plastic gear and axle moulding so just swap over the wheels. I found an old Blue box GP38 the other day and all four axles had split so yesterday they were swapped with A-line ones.

John - if its just 4 you require and have not yet ordered them, PM me.

Ian

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

My local retailer, Gaugemaster are the UK importers/agent for Walthers and list the wheels on their site so I have ordered them from there and they are then going to get them in for me.

May be a while but I can wait, the semi-demic GP7 can loan its wheels to the GP30 for a while....

• Informative/Useful 1