Royal train tour announced

sjp23480

• RMweb Gold
16 hours ago, adb968008 said:

However the royal train harks back to days of secure transportation vs Highwaymen, Robin Hood, Dick Turpin and who ever else could ambush a stage coach. Latterly the train was a faster medium vs cobble and mud roads. 

As the last recorded mounted highwayman robbery of this period was in 1831, I very much doubt that was the reason for the Royal Train being created. More likely the reasons for its creation are the same reasons why it is kept on today - as others have made clear up thread.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
49 minutes ago, melmerby said:

just sailed through Huddersfield

Manchester?

i picked this up yesterday but thought it best to sit on it, but as its only an hour away...

Platform 6 at Vic has been cleared of trains for a few hours, between 6 -8pm.

And several Vic services are running to a 7th Dec schedule only between 6 and 8pm, mostly replatforming or pausing for the odd minute or two in less usual places.

Tomorrow is possibly further south, and west, and perhaps a less common platform number.

Theres a good clue on where its overnight out there though I wouldnt advise going anywhere near it at night !!!

Edited by adb968008

• RMweb Premium

Well it's turned back to Huddersfield & is in P8

Vic P6 is still being used, there was a local in a few minutes back.

EDIT

Left Huddersfield after a short stop and heading back towards Leeds

Edited by melmerby

• RMweb Gold

I hope they've taken the Royal copy of Baker's Rail Atlas with them as they could tick off some rare track in 'passenger use'.

The Up Loop at Marsden and reversal there is rare since Northern ceased running the stopping service west of Huddersfield a few years ago.

And from the Huddersfield line they've just taken the Whitehall SW Junction to Whitehall SE Junction chord towards Engine Shed Junction at Holbeck, Leeds.  Only usually traversed in that direction from the Huddersfield line by rail tours and engineers' trains.

Edited by 4630
  • Like 1

• RMweb Premium
1 minute ago, 4630 said:

I hope they've taken the Royal copy of Baker's Rail Atlas with them as they could tick off some rare track in 'passenger use'.

The Up Loop at Marsden and reversal there is rare since Northern ceased running the stopping service west of Huddersfield a few years ago.

And from the Huddersfield line they've just taken the Whitehall SW Junction to Whitehall SE Junction chord towards Engine Shed Junction at Holbeck Leeds.  Only usually traversed in that direction from the Huddersfield line by rail tours and engineers' trains.

Now off towards Castleford.

The stop in Huddersfield was just long enough to alight, do a few elbow bumps and get back on again.

• RMweb Premium
3 minutes ago, eastwestdivide said:

They visited Batley according to the BBC, so the Batley-Hudds-Marsden and back shuffle was presumably the empties getting out of he way and reversing. 

Headed through Wakefield Kirkgate towards Mirfield (again) now.

• RMweb Gold

It would seem late running TPE services are delaying the train around Marsden... Passengers of 1E45 and 1K29 might be gauping through the windows at Marsden, whilst 9M32 and 1K26 need to get a wiggle on.

I guess things just aren't as regimented as they used to be... what was the punishment for delaying the royal train back in the day ?

Edited by adb968008

• RMweb Premium
32 minutes ago, adb968008 said:

It would seem late running TPE services are delaying the train around Marsden.

I guess things just aren't as regimented as they used to be... what was the punishment for delaying the royal train back in the day ?

Didn't delay it for long as 9M32 scampered off into the distance.

1Z20 is just 1m30c miles from Victoria at Miles Platting.

Edited by melmerby

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, adb968008 said:

though I wouldnt advise going anywhere near it at night !!!

Nope you definitely want to stay well clear. Those guys don’t mess around, we had set places and times to approach it when stabled on our patch. The location is secured well before the train arrives if it’s carrying the Royals. 

• Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
44 minutes ago, rab said:

A better way to thank key workers might have been

to share out the cost of the tour between them instead?

Feel free to donate your salary too.

The cost of this train for 3 days divided by 1.4m NHS workers, wouldnt even be £1 each.

The memories, inspiration and events the selected lucky few to meet the royals will last a lifetime... I bet not one of them would trade it for the few pennies saved.

Tomorrow at work they get to talk about it with their team, and gives the whole place a buzz... alternatively in your scenario they could talk about the 20p bonus they got.

Edited by adb968008
  • Like 12
  • Agree 7

• RMweb Gold
2 minutes ago, adb968008 said:

Feel free to donate your salary too.

The cost of this train for 3 days divided by 1.4m NHS workers, wouldnt even be £1 each.

The memories, inspiration and events the selected lucky few to meet the royals will last a lifetime... I bet not one of them would trade it for the few pennies saved.

Even as a lifelong republican, I would have to agree with you.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, flapland said:

Neiborouring platform still in use at the moment. Wigan to Leeds train was a neighbour for a short while and now the Rochdale to Clitheroe train. 

Decoy. The Royal train went to Wigan Wallgate so William could get some Uncle Joes for his Dad for Christmas !!!!!!!

8cyae1cp.jpg

Charlie likes his Uncle Joes !!!

HRH1.jpg

Being born in the "Ancient and Loyal" town of Wigan I am a great supporter of our Monarchy. If we loose our history we forgo our future.

Wigan described itself as the "Ancient and Loyal Borough", an epithet originating in the 1663 charter of Charles II which described the town as an "ancient borough" and noted its "loyalty to the Crown". The 1663 charter governed the town until its reform by the Municipal Corporations Act 1835.

Wigan2.jpg

We even have a royal ale

image.png.ca93981ee1b4b2049ac7df2dd07f1ab0.png

Long live The Queen.

Brit15

• Like 13