Please use M,M&M only for topics that do not fit within other forum areas. All topics posted here await admin team approval to ensure they don't belong elsewhere.

Am I a shunterholic?

eBay has provided me with bright red track to play with, including three points (oh my - enough for an Inglenook!). I also won a proper auction for a third skip wagon at approx half the going price... have just been contacted by the seller saying that it was refused delivery at the click & collect point and has been returned and how would I like to proceed? (Odd, that - I picked up two other parcels no problem today from the same place). Having suggested she talks to eBay, she's suggested perhaps refunding me my winning bid/postage... Suspicious, moi, of perhaps cold feet on the Seller's part after achieving far less than expected?

How cynical would that make me?!

This isn't all quite as OT as it might first appear ... after all, I have wagons and track, so now I really, really NEED a shunting locomotive ...

HOURS OF FUN!

Edited by SteveyDee68
Grammar corrected

Hi SteveyDee68,

similar thing happened to me. I bought a H/D Castle for a really good price. The sale was confirmed and I paid for it immediately. The arrival date came and went and it did not turn up. I contacted the seller about this as the same engine with the same pictures went back up for sale on Ebay again. But with a different seller. I assume they just created another account. I complained to the seller who had in fact legally speaking stolen the engine from me and resold it as the payment for it had been made and accepted. There was no minimal purchase amount. Therefore it no longer belonged to them. I put in a complaint to them and got my money back eventually after about 2 weeks. I also made a complaint to Ebay, But I don't think anything was ever done by them.

• Friendly/supportive 3

Spotted in real life when I was a lad. Rebuilt WC/BB shunting Salfords goods yard that’s on the Brighton line north of Gatwick....

Ah happy days and not a Norwegian Blue in sight.

Keith

• Like 1

I've just consulted my little notebook 'OO Rolling Stock management,' wherein I expected to find a very short list of shunting locomotives, especially having sold three Class 08s, two Janus (Jani?) and an 05 last year.

But no.  We allegedly have here a scratchbuilt 06, an ex-BR 14, three Jani, an NCB Sentinel and a pair of 08s, still.  What does that amount to - half a dozen industrials and trio of BR machines....

Thus far I have clearly resisted any Austerities; the HJ 02 could prove harder still, though.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

I am an unrepentant Shunterholic. A friend presented me with a  smaller layout/shunting plank. " It only needs 8 wagons and a loco..."  The layout used to go every year to our local club show, so to ring the changes, I'd buy a couple of wagons; " just to change"....

Then, it progressed to changing entire rakes of wagons... I'd select one wagon from the original 8 wagons, and buy 7 more...   The layout came with a  Mainline 04 diesel, in green. " Oh, there's a   black one, that's different" Then a Baccy 03, 'just to ring the changes'.. Then a Heljan D95xx....   Then, it got serious....   A plane spotter got me into Hunslet 18" Austerities, and actually  sold me a couple. I was ready & willing to buy a new Austerity every year; 'just to ring the changes....'  It was like a drug, and the dealer had me hooked.. I'd e-mail the dealer, and ask him to make  another, 'just to ring the changes'.

Luckily for me, the Dealer got addicted to stupidity, and disappeared off the scene. I had to go 'Cold Turkey' but at least I wasn't buying more Austerities.  They are stowed away, awaiting when I get going again. I can hear them down the corridor.... " We're here... We're here, Where are you?"

So, it's 4 in the morning, and I can't sleep. I'm looking at the whisky bottle, almost full with 20p pieces, waiting for my next 'hit'. 

• Like 1
  • Funny 4

Hi Honest Tom,

I you want it it is a bargain. If you really really need it it is a bargain. But if you cannot sleep at night and think of every way it is such a bargain and a must have. It is an obsession. The treatment I recommend is to take out your original Janus and talk to it about it's possible feelings of being superceeded by a newer model. If it answers back then it is time to go and see the doctor.....lol

Edited by cypherman
  • Funny 3

27 minutes ago, cypherman said:

Hi Honest Tom,

I you want it it is a bargain. If you really really need it it is a bargain. But if you cannot sleep at night and think of every way it is such a bargain and a must have. It is an obsession. The treatment I recommend is to take out your original Janus and talk to it about it's possible feelings of being superceeded by a newer model. If it answers back then it is time to go and see the doctor.....lol

I mean, I wouldn't want to be two-faced with a Janus.

• Like 1
  • Round of applause 1
  • Funny 3

The pandemic has somewhat curtailed my obsession with shunting locomotives, due to lack of funds, although eBay did entice me on several occasions. However, on Friday I met a friend for a drink inside a pub for the first time in... well... I can't remember when! I've obviously forgotten how to behave in a pub, as I was curtly tild told to sit diwn down as it was table service only (!) but I did enjoy a very pleasant half hour with good company in the congenial surroundings of a licensed premises.

Emboldened by the experience (and my second jab in just over a week's time!) I decided to pop down to my local model shop (The Locoshed, in Whitefield). Jim (the proprietor) and Paul both made me feel very welcome in a busy little shop where fellow modellers were conforming to the shop's Covid guidelines (Jim is being careful for his customers) whilst chatting, perusing and making purchases.

I had in my hand a three-pack of Oxford PLA seven plank wagons, ideal accompaniments to my PLA Peckett and Janus models, and just needed to wait for a moment to pay for them...

I arrived home sans wagons and clutching a brand new Hornby B2 "The Earl" in a fetching shade of blue...

I totally blame @PaulRhB and the enticing photos of that loco on his micro!

I think it safe to say that I have not shaken off my real addiction...

HOURS OF SHUNTING FUN

PS

I left the shop hurriedly to protect my bank card from melting ... what was sat in the O gauge cabinet but a delightful 0-4-0 GER tram loco, at an amazing price of just £79 ... that's cheaper than any of the decent small OO shunters can be got for, and a perfect small loco for a shunting layout in the senior scale... my dealer knows my preferences, too... "The cabinet's open, Steve, if you want to take it out for a look"

PPS

Somebody please snap it up before I succumb ... contact Jim at The Locoshed (not open now until Tuesday, but it might be on his website listings!)

Edited by SteveyDee68
Credit where credit is due!! Corrected typos
  • Friendly/supportive 1

Bad news - the O gauge Y6 is not on their website, which mean prospective buyers off RMWeb will need to phone the shop after 10am on Tuesday to make enquiries....

Somebody buy it, quick!!!

MUST RESIST, MUST RESIST!

• 2 months later...

It's been a while since I posted here. Perhaps because I was being good? No, I don't think so...

It was my birthday, so I called in to The Locoshed with the intention of having a chat. That didn't quite work out as expected, as I now have a Port of Bristol liveried B2 Peckett loco to add to my previous pair! Who needs three B2 Pecketts, I wonder out loud?! (Me!! I do!!)

Thinking again about Castlebrook Sidings and how I now imagine they are the other end of the line from Whitepeak Limestone & Tarmacadam, I kept thinking a 'Jinty' might be a more appropriate 'main line' loco to go with the J94 Austerity I already possess. So now a Bachmann 3F version has joined my fleet, for less than £50 off eBay (and a sweet runner it is, too!) 

And yesterday I attended my first Toy & Train Fair in 18 months! Last time, I walked away with a bargain price Heljan Class 07, but yesterday I was on a mission to find Hornby "Conflat B" wagons (and I found one - one - which at £8 was very reasonably priced! They really are quite rare, aren't they?!). All was going well until I was about to leave ... the trader by the entrance/exit (who I couldn't get near earlier due to the crush of bodies) had a table full of Hornby J94s, plus a dozen Adams Radial tank locos by Hornby and Oxford Rail. At £50 a pop, how could an addict like me resist?

My own J94 is a sturdy but noisy example from Dapol, so I was keen to get a Hornby example. One in BR livery, and I had eight to chose from! My mate Rob quickly identified that every one of them was based in the North East, and they all had the hopper bunker (whereas I was looking for a low bunker as per the Cromford & High Peak locos - I'm not averse to renumbering, but wanted to avoid taking a razor saw to a perfectly good model!) Then I spotted a green lined livery with red hand rails - another industrial?! SOLD!!

I'd already admired the Adams Radial models, and said how they were such an attractive loco but not really something I could justify buying ... then the dealer offered to sell me one for £40 if I bought it with the J94!!

The flesh is weak...

It's not really a shunting loco, but how could I turn down the opportunity of buying a brand new loco for £40?! I realise that in reality the class was used on one specific branch line, in yet another geographical area to my areas of interest, but why not? Maybe I could get clay wagons as an alternative scenario for Castlebrook Sidings, and ring the changes with stock and main line locos...

What is it that they say about addicts justifying their continued addiction?

HOURS OF FUN! 

• Like 3