Land Rovers

Mick Bonwick

• RMweb Gold

Guilty as charged.

The blue landie is obviously the ECC liveried example, de-logo'd, slightly weathered and with an added tow bar ( bent wire).

The open, off-roader's landie is based on an example spotted online, most of the paint was removed with acetone and then splodges of colour added. 

The trailer is scratch built, the wheels are off a Huskey Jaguar Fire Chief toy car, the rest is just plastic strip and a 3D printed motor.

All three probably need the master's touch to really improve the weathering.

Edited by Stubby47
  • Like 7
  • Craftsmanship/clever 5

Some great modelling here, I especially like Stubby47's Series 1 on a trailer, there is a very similar vehicle/trailer in this months Classic Land Rover.

Also a good prompt for me to finish the 12" to 1ft scale Series 3 I have in the garage, I have been saying this year for the last 3 years although I did start it up a few weeks ago for the first time in 6 years....

• Like 6
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium

I have a couple of the Classix horseboxes. They come with a selection of towing hooks designed to fit the Classix car and van range. Has anyone fitted these hooks to the Oxford Land Rover? There are several different hooks so there's plenty of options depending on which Oxford Land Rover you wish to fit a hook to.

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 2

As another conspirator in the Easton Land Rover Gathering, I based mine on one still earning a living in sunny Wales.

It also tapped into my belief of - why would I buy coal and logs when firewood is free? 

I sent a message to one of our happy band with a picture of the Land rover which had just arrived and he said: "Damn, I have just clicked buy it now on that one, I'll just repaint it!"

I repainted the roof and wheels in cream, which was a popular way of updating ageing Landys when I was a kid. I followed up with the mandatory moss on the roof and around the window channels. (Moss stops the glass rattling and should not be removed, I found that out the hard way.) A little rust around the screen vents and door hinges, rust and oil leaks around the hubs and a little bit of off road grot.

The load bed was repainted to represent a working vehicle with bark chippings, random roadside logs and those bits of packing timber that have fallen off lorries on A roads - they make riding a motorcycle at night so much fun...

Add a rather second hand looking bow saw and I think we're done!

I've really enjoyed being a part of this project as I have had free rein to build something that I like but would be out of place on my prewar layout.

IMG_20210510_124437.jpg.b8b018de26b97f0530a16ba4bf19bc35.jpg

I couldn't pose it on my layout as yet, but we do have a scruffy shed and a Bus Deterrent Device in the background.

IMG_20210510_022532.jpg.cc71e44884159adaac4ef82cbfbe71b4.jpg

IMG_20210510_022509.jpg.c233501fd10fa7c58adca7c6c902f710.jpg

To be honest, it was a welcome change from swearing at signalboxes.

I thought that this one would be useful for clearing up all that undergrowth!

• Like 9
  • Craftsmanship/clever 8

• RMweb Gold
22 minutes ago, MrWolf said:

.....I sent a message to one of our happy band with a picture of the Land rover which had just arrived and he said: "Damn, I have just clicked buy it now on that one, I'll just repaint it!"

In hindsight I could have just changed the number plate :lol:

Edited by chuffinghell
  • Agree 1
  • Funny 9
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Gold
23 minutes ago, MrWolf said:

I'm not sure which of those two options is the better example of overthinking? :scratchhead:

There's the easy way, the hard way and the daft my way :lol:

Edited by chuffinghell
  • Funny 2
  • Friendly/supportive 6

Afternoon everyone,

Some fine examples of Land Rovery on display here!

Does anyone know of a model of a 130 in 1/76? I'd imagine a JB/Airfix lengthened would be the best way to go.

I was inspired by the limber used for Duke of Edinburgh's funeral.

Steve

• Like 4

• RMweb Gold

That picture reminds me of the day I went out for a employee's trip around the various China Clay works that surround St Austell.

We all piled into the long land rover and Ivor Bowditch, the PR bloke, took us around.  First stop was over looking one of the larger pits, probably Littlejohns.  We stopped at the top of the pit and Ivor pointed out various bits of clay washing machinery.  He moved the landie a bit further round and pointed out some tiny Volvo trucks and the conveyors.

He moved again and this time instead of stopping at the edge, he drove straight over !  Of course , no one was strapped in and there was a certain amount of swearing as we bounced down the obvious (now !)  clay road to the pit floor.
Where upon the tiny Volvo trucks became these huge behemoths that we were warned never to get in the way of !
Later we travelled through the old railway tunnel to Fowey Docks.  Again, there was a warning that once the light went green, enter and keep moving above 30mph, as the lights were timed and the artic clay trucks would be coming the other way, at the same speed, so you needed to make sure you got out in time. 

• Like 8
  • Informative/Useful 4

3 hours ago, divibandit said:

Afternoon everyone,

Does anyone know of a model of a 130 in 1/76? I'd imagine a JB/Airfix lengthened would be the best way to go.

Steve

Hi, I suggest cut and shutting a couple of Oxford Diecast 110s, a 130 is quite niche but I would expect them to do a Prince Philip variant in the fullness of time.

• Like 2
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, Stubby47 said:

That picture reminds me of the day I went out for a employee's trip around the various China Clay works that surround St Austell.

We all piled into the long land rover and Ivor Bowditch, the PR bloke, took us around.  First stop was over looking one of the larger pits, probably Littlejohns.  We stopped at the top of the pit and Ivor pointed out various bits of clay washing machinery.  He moved the landie a bit further round and pointed out some tiny Volvo trucks and the conveyors.

He moved again and this time instead of stopping at the edge, he drove straight over !  Of course , no one was strapped in and there was a certain amount of swearing as we bounced down the obvious (now !)  clay road to the pit floor.
Where upon the tiny Volvo trucks became these huge behemoths that we were warned never to get in the way of !
Later we travelled through the old railway tunnel to Fowey Docks.  Again, there was a warning that once the light went green, enter and keep moving above 30mph, as the lights were timed and the artic clay trucks would be coming the other way, at the same speed, so you needed to make sure you got out in time. 

I went on a Cornwall Railway Society trip with Ivor Bowditch as our guide, we went in a 52 seater coach down a clay pit:blink:. Also stopped for a Guinness and Pasty lunch:P, handsome. Were not allowed to photograph the loaders at Carn Point due to the dust, they were a bit touchy on that subject.

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

4 hours ago, divibandit said:

Afternoon everyone,

Steve

I'm currently working on a 009 Land Rover railcar (based on the one at Statfold), also based on the JB kit - I'll post photos in a bit.

However, like you I was tempted to stretch the kit for a model of HRH's hearse, especially when I realised it had the correct scale wheelbase to fit a Minic Motorways chassis!

I don't think 130 was ever a production length of LR, so I doubt there will be any 1/76 versions available.

• Like 5