00 scale road vehicles from non-railway sources

ianmacc

1 hour ago, Richard Croft said:

I’ve got all the keyrings discussed in stock now, they all seem a very good size apart from the M3 which is a shame, I was looking forward to that one! The corsa is a 1:76 Oxford diecast to give an idea of scale

BA9D1B0C-5A96-4E88-8D4A-C31D53A25B18.jpeg.c7c3d436fe286f29b2cf408eaccbe1f3.jpeg

I’d recommend these to readers of this thread and echo above. I’d also recommend buying them from Richard for no other reason that fair reward for making this find :-) 

None of those are available anywhere else so brilliant discovery. As stated the M3 is about 1:87 at best so not suitable. It appears they are a small scaled version of the fit the box (in this case sleeve) approach so it follows any future hatchback etc releases will be great for 00 whereas anything medium sized or above is likely to be H0. I hope they bring out more. 

• Agree 1

Received my keyrings today, thanks to Richard for informing us about them as I had no idea of their existence. They appear to be a standard length rather than scale and from my rough calculations the R4 and 205 are virtually spot on 1/76, the Clio is a fraction small but definitely usable, and the Golf and Alpine are more significantly undersized, somewhere between OO and HO so they will need careful use. All are very well-finished and detailed models and I wasn't expecting rotating wheels - they're really too nice to use as keyrings being battered around in a pocket, and I wonder how many will have their keychains removed.

• Agree 2

On 21/07/2021 at 19:19, PhilJ W said:

Hopefully they will bring out some other small cars. 

I don’t know much about them, or whether the potential model maker’s market would be a big enough percentage of sales, but perhaps they could be contacted to let them know of this untapped market and I bet they’d take an interest?

There is a precedent with Kerico and Gaugemaster.

Edited by ianmacc
Typo if and of
  • Like 1

These Z Models key rings must be a fit the packaging scale.

I note that Walmart describe the BMW M3 E30 as being 1:64 scale (which it sounds like that's not the case), while the Italian Car Model website describes the whole range as being 1:87.

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Z-MODELS-BMW-M3-E30-Keychain-1-64/364224890

https://www.carmodel.com/search?order=&resultsPerPage=&priceorder=&keyword=Z+Models&scale=87&country=&nuOb=&trademark=&year=&brand=&mat=&price=

I suppose the secret to getting them to produce 1:76 scale models would be to suggest prototypes that would scale out at the same length as the existing key rings.

• Agree 2

• RMweb Premium

I've also seen a green 2CV but as Oxford make that model it might not be worth stocking them. Would you consider stocking some of the Universal Hobbies key rings? Three of their vintage tractors are exactly or near to 00 scale and some of the trailers although of a smaller scale (1/96) sit comfortably with 00 scale models.

• Agree 1

• 2 weeks later...

Afternoon everyone

If anyone is looking for non-railway source figures (as opposed to vehicles) you could try Subbuteo.

Yes, they make football games, but they had a range of pitch-side figures including cameramen. There was a chap with a camcorder and a TV tower. The Queen and Duke of Edinburgh were also available, should anyone want to model the Royal Train. 

As far as I'm aware, they are no longer in production but they, and similar products, can be found on auction sites.

I thought some of you may be interested.

Steve

• Informative/Useful 2

1 hour ago, divibandit said:

Afternoon everyone

If anyone is looking for non-railway source figures (as opposed to vehicles) you could try Subbuteo.

Yes, they make football games, but they had a range of pitch-side figures including cameramen. There was a chap with a camcorder and a TV tower. The Queen and Duke of Edinburgh were also available, should anyone want to model the Royal Train. 

As far as I'm aware, they are no longer in production but they, and similar products, can be found on auction sites.

Steve

Yes I’ve been an advocate of those for years. The football manager in his trilby and sheepskin is essential for a 60s or 70s layout! The pitchside camera men (not the TV ones) are brilliant anorak-wearing spotters too :)

DA36AA5E-89A2-4C4F-A381-2A3CAA7E7561.jpeg

100C4D0F-0FB5-4976-8888-FAD230E0FA58.jpeg

Edited by ianmacc
Pics
  • Agree 2

• RMweb Premium
6 hours ago, divibandit said:

Afternoon everyone

Steve

They also do a couple of streakers, you have the choice of male or female with a couple of policemen in hot pursuit. For the Subbuteo cricket game they produced groundsmen with a roller and fans seated in deckchairs. They were still in production up to a few years ago but under new management.

Edited by PhilJ W
  • Like 3

Going back to 1:72-1:76 scale vechiles still see plenty available but you have to look out, Crapland, £1 shops, seaside resorts, amusement arcades car boots toy fairs etc all these purchased recently 

20210723_152250.jpg.7414de36883ebd120e627061a8e36176.jpg

Left to right Matchbox American jeep, Chinese digger front loader,  a matchbox fork lift truck on matchbox low loader, and modern tractor. The tractor came as a tractor trailer set, Chinese found in seaside/open market £1 shops for a £1 diecast it's quite good detail and about right for 1:76, apparently sold in bulk to retailers for about 27p per set

• Like 2

1 hour ago, PhilJ W said:

They also do a couple of streakers, you have the choice of male or female with a couple of policemen in hot pursuit. For the Subbuteo cricket game they produced groundsmen with a roller and fans seated in deckchairs. They were still in production up to a few years ago but under new management.

Apparently they also sold unpainted fiqures in bags of about a 1000, did have opportunity recently to purchase a bag for about £25 unfortunately ran out of cash and non of the local cash machines had any in, shame at 2.5p each

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium
28 minutes ago, locomad2 said:

Apparently they also sold unpainted fiqures in bags of about a 1000, did have opportunity recently to purchase a bag for about £25 unfortunately ran out of cash and non of the local cash machines had any in, shame at 2.5p each

I have a box of those figures. The problem is there is only four or five different figures and all but one has their arms in the air cheering a goal and only one is female. The best are the police and St. Johns ambulance figures including a mounted officer. There are three different TV cameras and cameramen reflecting the period they were made. The first is the large box camera of the 1950's then about 1970 this was replaced by a smaller tripod mounted camera and this was later replaced by a cameraman with a handheld camera and with a sound engineer with a microphone boom.

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

• RMweb Premium

A couple of slightly more recent Matchbox models that are 00 scale. The Mercedes MB Trac tractor and the Eccles caravan. The MB Trac sometimes has the scale underneath, 1/77 and is not a bad model and could be enhanced by fitting glazing and a driver. The 2 axle Eccles caravan is 1/76 according to Matchbox and is a quite a good model which could easily be improved upon by painting the interior and adding glazing.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
1 minute ago, steve1 said:

Given the wide variety of sizes of forklift trucks*,  these 2 are entirely suitable for 4mm to my mind. The blue & white one is a Matchbox model, sorry, no makers name on the yellow one. (It was given to me by the late Shortliner Jack some years ago.)

steve

*http://www.nationalforktruckheritagecentre.org/index.html

70C39BE4-ACB7-4316-AD4C-364A221883F5.jpeg

I have one of those yellow fork lift trucks. As I recall it came with a set of other vehicles for a £ or two from Toys'R'Us about twenty years ago.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, PhilJ W said:

The 2 axle Eccles caravan is 1/76 according to Matchbox and is a quite a good model which could easily be improved upon by painting the interior and adding glazing.

The distinctive overall shape is correct for the period (late '60s) The main fault with this model is that it should only have one axle instead of two, even the big 22ft long Emerald only had one axle. Scaling out at about 17ft long, it would be the Sapphire. The odd double ledge at one end was a bay window which can be seen in this photo.

• Like 2

I have one of the blue and white fork lifts, but in green and white (Stobart), I wondered if the forks were too long.

As for the Subbuteo gang, you could have a coach with supporters waiting to board...

The other modern touch is the old Corgi Junior horsebox modified and repainted to represent the ubiquitous coffee stand...just have to find it.

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, divibandit said:

I have one of the blue and white fork lifts, but in green and white (Stobart), I wondered if the forks were too long.

As for the Subbuteo gang, you could have a coach with supporters waiting to board...

The other modern touch is the old Corgi Junior horsebox modified and repainted to represent the ubiquitous coffee stand...just have to find it.

I was looking at the forks thinking the same, most fork lifts only have forks big enough for a standard pallet  1200 x 800 mm in Europe 1200 x 1000 mm in the USA, there are larger longer forks but these tend to be on the container handling machines which are much bigger overall 

• Like 1