Collectors Club Models Sold By Retailers

Ncarter2

• RMweb Premium

Evening all, I did look before posting but was not able to find anything, so, are models exclusive to the Collectors Club ever distributed by Bachmann to retailers/dealers? 
I recently acquired the EWS 47 for a very reasonable price, from a retailer who had a few for sale. I would like the SNCB 90, but given it’s current price and the need to join the Club, I can’t help thinking it would be cheaper to get one  of the RFD 90’s I managed to pick up cheap resprayed, especially as I would be  modelling 90028. I was curious to hear if retailers do get some limited access to them at some point, a renumber would be far easier. 
Thanks in advance. 

• RMweb Gold

They don’t get them in an official way from Bachmann. Obviously there is the odd secondhand one that comes up and there was a retailer who allegedly was a member (more, that a staff member was) and was buying them up at full price and when sold out, was selling at an even higher price. 

Roy

• RMweb Premium

Actually. some pf the less popular Collectors Club models have been released to retailers in limited numbers in the past. presumably to get shot of them.  Not all of them have been instant sell outs.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
1 minute ago, John M Upton said:

Actually. some pf the less popular Collectors Club models have been released to retailers in limited numbers in the past. presumably to get shot of them.  Not all of them have been instant sell outs.

That was my thoughts, the EWS 47 has hung around, mine was only £130 from an authorised retailer and it was involved to me as new etc. I have brought from them many times so was hoping they may get some stock once it’s been sat a while, but I guess with the New 47, Bachmann just want old stock gone. 

• RMweb Gold

I bought D1733 new from a well known retailer for the same price (and without having to pay postage) as it was in the club mag - that was about 2 years Ono now. The early BR patriot has also been available from mainstream retailers - in fact I saw one only a couple of weeks ago in the Severn Valley Railway shop of all places. 

• RMweb Premium

Same here with the EWS 47778 Collectors Club release, I managed to pick up one brand new from a retailer this summer and there were quite a number of different retailers selling so it was possible to do a good price comparison even, happy days!

Great fodder for an EWS 47 bashup & renumber!

Cheers,

James

• RMweb Gold
59 minutes ago, rob D2 said:

The EWS 47 was a curious choice - they repainted and made some mods to some but they lasted a very short space of time in some cases .

778 - seems about late 2002-2004 in EWS- maybe that limited the appeal ?

I bought a Vitrains one for £75, so gave it a miss.

I dont think EWS 47’s set the world on fire.

When it became discounted to £135, then I decided to bite as it was a spare pocket money purchase and a quiet month for new releases… otherwise i’d have passed it by again.

12 hours ago, Steamport Southport said:

Just a pity they don't offer them at discount to the members first.

And I don't mean just at Members Days at places many of us can't attend. Not everyone can get to the GCR on a weekend.

Jason

Yes, I agree, that’s a bit embarrassing isn’t it ? One of the two selling points of the club for me was access to the Ltd editions 

12 hours ago, adb968008 said:

I bought a Vitrains one for £75, so gave it a miss.

I dont think EWS 47’s set the world on fire.

When it became discounted to £135, then I decided to bite as it was a spare pocket money purchase and a quiet month for new releases… otherwise i’d have passed it by again.

I’m thinking you get more pocket money then me mum gives me…

• Like 1
  • Funny 6
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, rob D2 said:

Yes, I agree, that’s a bit embarrassing isn’t it ? One of the two selling points of the club for me was access to the Ltd editions 

It was why I joined a few years back, was the only way I could, at the time, get the Silverlink 150. I let it lapse, but was about to join as I wanted the 47, but when I seen it for sale with the retailer I got, I made enquiries and when they confirmed it was brand new, covered by the Bachmann warranty etc I decided the club wasn’t worth it, waters down one of the selling points. I would like the 90, but I can’t see it being sold outside of the club so I will probably have to get a spray job done. 

• Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
26 minutes ago, Ncarter2 said:

It was why I joined a few years back, was the only way I could, at the time, get the Silverlink 150. I let it lapse, but was about to join as I wanted the 47, but when I seen it for sale with the retailer I got, I made enquiries and when they confirmed it was brand new, covered by the Bachmann warranty etc I decided the club wasn’t worth it, waters down one of the selling points. I would like the 90, but I can’t see it being sold outside of the club so I will probably have to get a spray job done. 

I know what you mean and certainly they lost a couple of years membership from me when I found D1733 at my local emporium.
I’m finding the club better value now with the option to get a ‘free’ EFE vehicle instead of a wagon I didn’t want, the bigger catalogue and the access to the spare parts database.