Peterborough North

great northern

• RMweb Premium

Happy new year Gilbert.

I still owe you a return visit to Sheffield Exchange, the duck has threatened to land here soonish would you like to join him?

And a Happy new year to you also Clive. That would be very nice indeed, thank you. I haven't visited your part of my home county for a long time, and I need some education about DMUs. :jester:

• Like 1

A Happy New Year to you also Peter. The Cravens was always supposed to be temporary. What I really need is a Derby heavyweight unit. I did get one some time back, but it was unsatisfactory, and I returned it. The plan now is that Tim will build a proper Class 114 for me, and when it arrives the Cravens will be passed to him for use on his projected Faringdon layout, where it will of course be entirely appropriate.

All of which reminds me of the mid 50s, and sitting at the front of a 114 behind a nice driver, who didn't put the blinds down, on the way to Grantham for a day's spotting. Such anticipation!

Cravens units would be appropriate on the PE/March/Cambridge trains though.

Stewart

Edited by stewartingram

• RMweb Premium

Happy new year Gilbert, thank you for entertaining me throughout 2018 with your superb thread, very much looking forward to more PN postings in the new year, and keep up with the good work n 2019.

Many thanks Brian. This seems an appropriate time to wish all who visit here a peaceful and prosperous New Year. This thread is very much a two way process, as it is your interest and contributions which help to keep me committed to running trains regularly, and to continually question whether the layout and its operation can be improved even more. I appreciate and wonder at your staying power folks.

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium

Cravens units would be appropriate on the PE/March/Cambridge trains though.

Stewart

From what I've seen and read though Stewart DMUs were only regularly working to North from the E.Lincs in 1958. The service to Cambridge seems to have been improved in 59/60, and after that there are plenty of photos of DMUs running them. In 58 though, I'm still OK to run the B12s B17s and Clauds. That's one of the main reasons for choosing PN in the first place.

Edited by great northern
  • Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Can anyone, perhaps our ex railwaymen, give me an answer to something which is puzzling me, please?

In the course of plotting out all of the ECML carriage formations I have found some instances of part formations which are stated to be SK SK FK SK. I could understand this if they were in separate portions of the train, but they are not. Why put your posh customers in a second class sandwich?  They are usually given the best accomodation next to the catering cars, and with the shortest distance to walk on arrival at termini.

My bit of railway, or the tram-track as other railwaymen were inclined to call it - until they were appointed to run bits of it, when the tune changed, as did their underwear, regularly - used fixed formations by and large, with numbered sets even on loco-hauled trains. So why the toffs were placed squarely among the proles is beyond me, too. But my late father, a commuter 1945-74, always sought the middle of the train on safety grounds.
  • Like 1

• RMweb Premium

What a day that was. By close of play, about 8.20 pm the 20 empty cassettes had been reduced to 11, and at least 3 more are earmarked to be filled tomorrow. I also managed to do underframe weathering to seven carriages four wagons and two brake vans, and to go out for a three mile power walk. This unaccustomed burst of activity has now left me a trifle fatigued, so fuller details will have to wait awhile.

It has all turned into a major upheaval and reworking of storage and operation, but so far it seems to be turning out really well, so I'm more than a little pleased. There was no time to run trains though, and no light for photography even if I had done so, which means just one image to be shown tonight.

post-98-0-95457200-1546294696_thumb.jpg

Book Law has stopped at Platform 2, but will be coming off the train very shortly. I really am delighted, if somewhat surprised, that my mad ideas seem to be working so well. I shall not, however, be staying up to see the New Year in, and having taken my hearing aids out, I shall not be disturbed by others so doing with the accompaniment of fireworks.

• Like 17

• RMweb Premium

My bit of railway, or the tram-track as other railwaymen were inclined to call it - until they were appointed to run bits of it, when the tune changed, as did their underwear, regularly - used fixed formations by and large, with numbered sets even on loco-hauled trains. So why the toffs were placed squarely among the proles is beyond me, too. But my late father, a commuter 1945-74, always sought the middle of the train on safety grounds.

As do most railway people.

• RMweb Premium

I know many airforce personnel who always fly in the rearmost seats of a plane they are not in control of- as Billy Connolly once remarked, 'Who ever heard of a plane reversing into mountain?"

Still not much fun even if it is going forwards when it hits the mountain though?

• RMweb Premium

One of those nights. Fall into bed, tired out, and sleep will not come. And I could hear the fireworks. Today may partly be spent dozing, but I'm determined to carry on with the progress on the railway too. Slight setback here, as I've just tried to upload part of my latest spreadsheet and got a big red message saying I can't, so a morning picture will have to suffice.

post-98-0-57405400-1546336649_thumb.jpg

Book Law is now reversing down to New England, and disgustingly dirty Duke of Rothesay has taken its place. My memory tells me that the Duke was almost always in this sort of state, but it was a very regular sight on spotting days, so its mechanical condition can't have been too bad.

The New Year has produced some daylight, so maybe some more photography can take place, if I can sort the fiddle yard enough to be able to run trains properly.

• Like 18

One of those nights. Fall into bed, tired out, and sleep will not come. And I could hear the fireworks. Today may partly be spent dozing, but I'm determined to carry on with the progress on the railway too. Slight setback here, as I've just tried to upload part of my latest spreadsheet and got a big red message saying I can't, so a morning picture will have to suffice.

attachicon.gif16 engine change.JPG

Book Law is now reversing down to New England, and disgustingly dirty Duke of Rothesay has taken its place. My memory tells me that the Duke was almost always in this sort of state, but it was a very regular sight on spotting days, so its mechanical condition can't have been too bad.

The New Year has produced some daylight, so maybe some more photography can take place, if I can sort the fiddle yard enough to be able to run trains properly.

Your comment about the A2 provoked a thought - why should there be any link between the external condition of a machine and its mechanical state? As long as the grit and grime has not been allowed to permeate the oiled and greased parts the awful state of the painted surfaces makes no difference to its efficiency - of course the morale of the crew is a different matter. 

Chaz

• RMweb Premium

I'm on my tea break, so I thought you might like to see a sample of part of my cunning plan. This is just one page of four, and only shows about half of each formation, but it does show what I'm trying to do. I'm looking for portions, and regular sub formations which appear in a number of trains. They can then be put into cassettes, and assembled into the full train on FY Road 1 as I normally do.

post-98-0-17400000-1546343410_thumb.jpg

Each sub formation has a different colour coding, so that they jump out at me when I analyse the whole thing. Some of the colours don't quite match, but never mind. Anyway, you can see, for example, that BSO CK SK, highlighted in yellow, appears quite often, in fact one one occasion twice in the same train, so there are two cassettes containing that combination. Each cassette will have an identifying number, and the prompt on the sequence display will tell operators what to put together, and in what order. So far, this seems to be working very well. All catering cars, by the way, are identified with the same shade of green.

Edited by great northern
  • Like 3

• RMweb Premium

I'm on my tea break, so I thought you might like to see a sample of part of my cunning plan. This is just one page of four, and only shows about half of each formation, but it does show what I'm trying to do. I'm looking for portions, and regular sub formations which appear in a number of trains. They can then be put into cassettes, and assembled into the full train on FY Road 1 as I normally do.

attachicon.gifimg20190101_11394592.jpg

Each sub formation has a different colour coding, so that they jump out at me when I analyse the whole thing. Some of the colours don't quite match, but never mind. Anyway, you can see, for example, that BSO CK SK, highlighted in yellow, appears quite often, in fact one one occasion twice in the same train, so there are two cassettes containing that combination. Each cassette will have an identifying number, and the prompt on the sequence display will tell operators what to put together, and in what order. So far, this seems to be working very well. All catering cars, by the way, are identified with the same shade of green.

I like the idea Gilbert. Do you have a plan for how to deal with carriage destination boards? Could you do different boards on each side? Or maybe you’ll just have to live without for these regular portions. I’m watching with interest as I’m thinking of doing something similar myself in the long run.

Andy

• RMweb Premium

Your comment about the A2 provoked a thought - why should there be any link between the external condition of a machine and its mechanical state? As long as the grit and grime has not been allowed to permeate the oiled and greased parts the awful state of the painted surfaces makes no difference to its efficiency - of course the morale of the crew is a different matter. 

Chaz

True. A choice had to be made between external appearance and mechanical efficiency. If there weren't enough people to do both, external looks would have no priority.

• RMweb Premium

I like the idea Gilbert. Do you have a plan for how to deal with carriage destination boards? Could you do different boards on each side? Or maybe you’ll just have to live without for these regular portions. I’m watching with interest as I’m thinking of doing something similar myself in the long run.

Andy

This is the bit that's got me beaten for the time being Andy. I can live with the thought of unloading three or even four cassettes to form one train, but on top of that to then individually apply several detachable boards sems to be taking a good thing past its sensible limits. I've not given up on it, but living without them it will be, at least short term.

• RMweb Premium

This is the bit that's got me beaten for the time being Andy. I can live with the thought of unloading three or even four cassettes to form one train, but on top of that to then individually apply several detachable boards sems to be taking a good thing past its sensible limits. I've not given up on it, but living without them it will be, at least short term.

On the Mid-Cornwall Lines I not be attaching and removing coach boards. Where a set runs on several workings but all to/from the same places, e.g. Paddington - Penzance, the coach boards will be fixed permanently. Where a set runs between a number of different destinations it will not carry coach boards. I'm comfortable with this as not every train carried coach boards and even on those that did some coaches didn't carry them as they were Saturday strengtheners or such like.

• RMweb Premium

On the Mid-Cornwall Lines I not be attaching and removing coach boards. Where a set runs on several workings but all to/from the same places, e.g. Paddington - Penzance, the coach boards will be fixed permanently. Where a set runs between a number of different destinations it will not carry coach boards. I'm comfortable with this as not every train carried coach boards and even on those that did some coaches didn't carry them as they were Saturday strengtheners or such like.

Good thinking. I reckon I shall have to adopt the same approach, as my portions seem to roam all over the place. Hull, Halifax, Ripon Bradford,Doncaster, they've been there. I'm not sure anyone makes KX- Ripon boards anyway.

• RMweb Premium

Good thinking. I reckon I shall have to adopt the same approach, as my portions seem to roam all over the place. Hull, Halifax, Ripon Bradford,Doncaster, they've been there. I'm not sure anyone makes KX- Ripon boards anyway.

Sankey Scenics do a very large selection and will also make bespoke ones (including fictitious places).

http://www.sankeyscenics.co.uk/coach-destination-bespoke/4581566407

Usual disclaimer.

Edited by St Enodoc

• RMweb Premium

And a Happy new year to you also Clive. That would be very nice indeed, thank you. I haven't visited your part of my home county for a long time, and I need some education about DMUs. :jester:

Hi Gilbert

All you need to know about DMUs in one simple lesson.

They don't have a steamy thing up front. The passengers can see where they are going. The designers listened to Bill Haley's "Shake rattle and roll" too many times. To finish with they are lovely.

• Like 2

Sankey Scenics do a very large selection and will also make bespoke ones (including fictitious places).

http://www.sankeyscenics.co.uk/coach-destination-bespoke/4581566407

Usual disclaimer.

Hi

i have used Sankey Scenes for MPD signage for Haymarket.

They have a great selection and the signs are very detailed and extremely good quality.

Regards

David 

• RMweb Premium

Hi Gilbert

All you need to know about DMUs in one simple lesson.

They don't have a steamy thing up front. The passengers can see where they are going. The designers listened to Bill Haley's "Shake rattle and roll" too many times. To finish with they are lovely.

But they are like panniers Clive. There are supposed to be lots of different types, bu they all look the same. :jester: :angel: :mosking: