Peterborough North

great northern

• RMweb Premium

It is in the nature of Man to be wary of change. Yet here we have a chap in his 70s making changes and discovering benefits along the way. A lesson there for us all.

Dealing with some at the golf club is a very good lesson Ian. That's made me realise that it is dangerous to get too set in one's ways. I have to find ways to keep my brain, what's left of it anyway, active, and this latest scheme has really helped there. Any feelings of staleness around operation have gone, which is great. No doubt sooner or later I'll need to think of another challenge, but that'll be good too.

The best thing is that I managed to find something which was possible and enjoyable for me to do without running into the physical problems which advancing age brings.

• Like 2

Hi Gilbert

I don't think you would have wanted to play golf here today - 40C. Fortunately only really being a social golfer I only played 9 holes this morning.

Love the photos please keep them coming.

Andrew Emmett

Adelaide

• RMweb Premium

On arrival at the door, one crawls to gain entry. It is then possible to stand up without much difficulty, and to move around quite easily. To get to the window side, one crawls again, and then has to perform some interesting contortions in order to get upright. I've put foam sheets down where knees have to contact the floor, and I now wear knee pads too, which has helped a lot.

The restricted room at the far side is proving to be a good thing, as I only have to put on a bit of weight to be reminded how tight the clearance is, so it's good motivation for keeping reasonably slim, and fairly supple too.

Having visited Peterborough North and seen the "far side" I would have got stuck had I ventured there.

• RMweb Gold

Having visited Peterborough North and seen the "far side" I would have got stuck had I ventured there.

When I visited Clive I got in OK, but nearly didn't get out (and no, it wasn't because my pockets were filled with myriad varieties of coaching stock...)

• RMweb Premium

Not if you had used the Duckworth Stableclean Broom Twist Method mate. I use that but without the Broom, when I go to the dark side at PN and have yet to get stuck over there requiring attendance by the Pompiers.  Such fun. 

Ar$£

• RMweb Premium

Hi Gilbert

I don't think you would have wanted to play golf here today - 40C. Fortunately only really being a social golfer I only played 9 holes this morning.

Love the photos please keep them coming.

Andrew Emmett

Adelaide

Hi Andrew,

I read that as minus 40 at first!  Very true though, we moan like hell if it gets above 30. Works both ways though. Yesterday we had about 5c, a biting wind, and constant heavy drizzle that soaked through everything. Thank goodness we were only playing twelve holes.

• RMweb Premium

Another photograph taken from the tight side.

post-98-0-23088300-1547458307_thumb.jpg

Then a peek through the arch, as we haven't had one of those for a while.

post-98-0-12226000-1547458430_thumb.jpg

One of the most beautifully proportioned front ends ever designed.

Now just a two and a half hour wait to see if Bachmann can match Hornby by announcing absolutely nothing at all of use to a late fifties ER modeller. I suspect they can, and will.

• Like 17

• RMweb Premium

Another photograph taken from the tight side.

attachicon.gif10 wagons.JPG

Then a peek through the arch, as we haven't had one of those for a while.

attachicon.gif8 65 arch.JPG

One of the most beautifully proportioned front ends ever designed.

Now just a two and a half hour wait to see if Bachmann can match Hornby by announcing absolutely nothing at all of use to a late fifties ER modeller. I suspect they can, and will.

Couldn't resist......post-2326-0-41209000-1547458941.jpg

• Like 5

Bachmann duly matched Hornby, but let's look on the bright side, perhaps no new tooling in 00 may mean that the V2 appears sooner.

Realistically I like the fact there is nothing new to purchase as I can focus on building the very large stockpile of loco and coach kits I have without having to upgrade RTR locos to my satisfaction! Although having said that I'll probably get an LNER green V2 when that finally arrives in 20?? However, I do believe that Bachmann continue to miss a trick by not producing an LNER post 1928 black D11/1 with red lining, there must be a good market for such a model.

Andrew

Edited by Woodcock29

Gilbert

Lovely photos looking along the whole layout - it must be quite a large room!

I was thinking that the trackwork looked a bit too tidy, and trying to think why. I came to the conclusion that it was all the point rodding and signal wires, especially by North box. It would be very fiddly to do, though, and probably not worth it for the benefit gained, especially at this stage. Do you know if anyone has modelled these features anywhere?

Keep the photos and comments coming.

Lloyd

Gilbert

I was thinking that the trackwork looked a bit too tidy, and trying to think why. I came to the conclusion that it was all the point rodding and signal wires, especially by North box. It would be very fiddly to do, though, and probably not worth it for the benefit gained, especially at this stage. Do you know if anyone has modelled these features anywhere?

Lloyd

Lloyd,

Tony Wright on his layout Little Bytham is in the process of doing exactly that.

Regards,Derek.

• RMweb Premium

Gilbert

Lloyd

25ft by 10 Lloyd, but it is two rooms knocked into one. There was no-one to tell me I couldn't, you see. Point rodding? As Derek says, TW is doing it. Having asked him how he felt about it, I gathered that it is an "interesting" experience.

I suspect that, had I intended to do it all, I should have factored it in from the start. It is extremely doubtful that I shall contemplate doing it now.

The tripod sidled over to the fiddle yard, and gives another look at the revised Up side.

12 Up FY.JPG

Across the way, and back in the "real" world, the 9.55 Newcastle slows for its stop.

11 eagle.JPG

Is it the case that A3s were somewhat spoiled by the addition of double chimneys, but that A4s actually benefitted from it?

Beauty is always in the eye of the beholder. A3s single or double to me look great. Though not the few double chimney v2s. Not sure why.

A4s definitely improve with a double. I've had many double a4 chimneys off Graeme King, if you were want 60023 to be reworked, a crest change would be easy. Wrt to a3s deflectors I've mixed feelings.

Edited by davidw

Gilbert,

"Is it the case that A3's were somewhat spoiled by the addition of double chimneys, but that A4's actually benefitted from it?"

In my opinion both classes benefitted from it both aesthetically and in  proven performance wise.

The first is purely a personal viewpoint, but the second is a proven statement.

As for the Smoke Deflectors ?   I will sit on the fence on that one as I am undecided.

Regards,Derek.

• RMweb Premium

Gilbert,

"Is it the case that A3's were somewhat spoiled by the addition of double chimneys, but that A4's actually benefitted from it?"

In my opinion both classes benefitted from it both aesthetically and in  proven performance wise.

The first is purely a personal viewpoint, but the second is a proven statement.

As for the Smoke Deflectors ?   I will sit on the fence on that one as I am undecided.

Regards,Derek.

I should have qualified what I said, Derek. I was talking only about appearance, as those who knew best all agree that performance was transformed.

• RMweb Premium

Beauty is always in the eye of the beholder. A3s single or double to me look great. Though not the few double chimney v2s. Not sure why.

A4s definitely improve with a double. I've had many double a4 chimneys off Graeme King, if you were want 60023 to be reworked, a crest change would be easy. Wrt to a3s deflectors I've mixed feelings.

Poor old number 23 is trapped in a perpetual state where it is about to go into Plant for general overhaul and double chimney. For some reason which I can't explain, I want to keep it as it was in August 58, whereas I can tolerate number 32 with a double chimney it didn't get till November.Don't look for any sense in that, there is none.

• RMweb Premium

Golden Eagle at rest this morning.

post-98-0-22773700-1547627762_thumb.jpg

It was allegedly a particularly weak engine till it got the double chimney, but I love the bird names, and can't justify most as the Scots snaffled nearly all the best ones, so 23 it had to be.

For those who like this sort of thing, here's what lives in the Down side of the fiddle yard now.

post-98-0-83363700-1547627999_thumb.jpg

Road 13 remains empty, not because of superstition, but because I can't think of anything to put in there!

• Like 17

• RMweb Premium

Golden Eagle at rest this morning.

attachicon.gif12 eagle 2.JPG

It was allegedly a particularly weak engine till it got the double chimney, but I love the bird names, and can't justify most as the Scots snaffled nearly all the best ones, so 23 it had to be.

For those who like this sort of thing, here's what lives in the Down side of the fiddle yard now.

attachicon.gif13 down FY.JPG

Road 13 remains empty, not because of superstition, but because I can't think of anything to put in there!

A nice pretty DMU?

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

A nice pretty DMU?

Now now Clive, :nono: You've seen for yourself how pampered and cossetted DMUs are at PN. Why, they even have their own dedicated spurs in an exclusive and most sought after corner of the fiddle yard. Anyway, one unit wouldn't even start to fill up that road. However, there is an interesting entry in Railway Observer September 1958 which goes like this. " On Friday 1st August there was no stock available for the 3.59 relief KX- Cleethorpes, for which a number of two car diesel units were sent empty from Lincoln to constitute the first public multiple unit diesel train out of KX. The next day five two car diesel units formed the 6.50 Grimsby-KX and the 3.52 return."  How about this.... You build it, and I'll store it in Road 13. :jester: :jester: