Peterborough North

great northern

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, LNER4479 said:

Dalmeny on the south side of the Forth estuary for the best views of one of the world's most famous (railway) bridges

49 minutes ago, DaveF said:

Dalmeny for me.

David

9 minutes ago, St Enodoc said:

Good choice David, and nearly mine too. I used to know a girl who lived there.

1 minute ago, Market65 said:

And Dalmeny for me too in this Scottish poll.

Rob.

Did we all know the same girl?????

• Funny 1

1 hour ago, St Enodoc said:

Did we all know the same girl?????

I did not know a girl in Dalmeny. Am I the only one? I once caught the train to there for a day course. The course was not particularly interesting, but I was picking up a new (second hand) car from the area. It was a convenient way of getting the time and expenses for it! My son had purchased it for me, and delivered it to me after the course had finished. Then I just had to drive up the A9, regretting not being on a train.

Lloyd

Edited by FarrMan
Punctuation and repeat word
  • Friendly/supportive 1

Dalmeny for me as well. Here's a photo I took from the northern end of the down platform in June 2013. But I didn't know any girls in Dalmeny, must have had another interest there!

Andrew

1820886294_TornadocomingofftheForthBridgeatDalmeny16June2013.jpg.90b9512ebf2743128698eea586c361fb.jpg

Edited by Woodcock29
added comment
  • Like 10

• RMweb Premium

Dalmeny

A great day would be guaranteed with a wonderful variety of traffic from Gresley Pacifics to N. B. 0-6-0s with so many other classes in between. Another attraction was the traffic from/to Glasgow Queen Street and Buchanan Street stations for Perth, Dundee and Aberdeen with the bonus of seeing some Perth based Jubilees.    

• Like 2

On 08/09/2020 at 22:35, mullie said:

I'll vote for St John's near Lewisham simply because I lived very near there whilst at University and I know where it is. New Cross is probably too big for the poll. Not lines I know well though I did travel to Gravesend from Essex once to help exhibit a layout at the Festival of Model Railways. It was easier to get a train into London and back out to Gravesend than go from Brentwood to catch the Tilbury ferry because my parents didn't drive. I was a mere thirteen years old I think.

The layout I was helping with was Epton a layout based on the  Loughton, Epping Ongar line and featured scratchbuilt  LT stock. This was during my brief membership of the Ongar MRC.

Martyn

I remember seeing Epton at an exhibition years ago, probably at Romford .  The highlight for me was an L1 built from an ABS kit, probably the only one in history that someone actually managed to get to run properly , which is more than I could ever do. Lovely layout though and at the time an original idea.

Edited by jazzer
  • Like 1

• RMweb Premium

A very clear winner in the latest poll, 6 votes for Dalmeny, nowhere else more than 2.

While we are up here, we might as well carry on, so northwards through Aberdeen to Inverness today, including the branches therefrom, and Perth to Inverness as well, to cover the whole area.

I'm wondering whether to carry on to the very far north tomorrow, but I thought that  might get on your wick.

• Funny 11

• RMweb Premium

Stanley Junction. I was called out to a failed 47/7 there only to find when I arrived that its auxiliary fuel tank (modified from the old boiler water tank) had leaked and dropped about 800 gallons of diesel on the track. The local water people were not best pleased. To cap it all, we were stuck in the signal box for a couple of hours after a thunderstorm turned all the signals red so our rescue loco couldn't reach us.

• Friendly/supportive 2

Blimey Gilbert, they're all nice up there - far too many to choose from!

I'll go for:

MYDC0942.JPG.ce47d877d47f28fdb5137f65bd054691.JPG

Simply because I have a picture to hand.

Proper signalbox, semaphore signals - even the sun shining. What's not to like!

MYDC0943.JPG.68616eb9b8f060e5773e987f0f34c184.JPG

And some modern history - this was our train home.

But, to be honest, could have been one of a dozen or more stations today.

• Like 7

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, great northern said:

A very clear winner in the latest poll, 6 votes for Dalmeny, nowhere else more than 2.

While we are up here, we might as well carry on, so northwards through Aberdeen to Inverness today, including the branches therefrom, and Perth to Inverness as well, to cover the whole area.

I'm wondering whether to carry on to the very far north tomorrow, but I thought that  might get on your wick.

Assuming the Kyle line is 'not allowed' yet, I'm going to go for Inverness itself please Gilbert.