Peterborough North

great northern

2 hours ago, great northern said:

Nine candidates for the latest poll, and you had to chosse the hardest and longest name to spell and type. Achnasheen won with 3 votes. It does look very nice , I must say.

Today how about Glasgow to Edinburgh, any route you like, and Glasgow to Crianlarich and Oban too. No termini though, not even little ones.

At least we didn't vote for Achashellach! Maybe we should have gone for Garve, or Luib

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, great northern said:

Another shot from the new tripod, a bit hopeful, this one, but I'll wait and see what you think.

It's a bit dark, really, or even dour as the Scots might say! We like detail, because you've taken care to provide it in the models. Anything that reduces detail is a disappointment. 

• Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
2 minutes ago, Oldddudders said:

It's a bit dark, really, or even dour as the Scots might say! We like detail, because you've taken care to provide it in the models. Anything that reduces detail is a disappointment. 

It was a difficult one Ian. Making it much lighter introduces a lot of flare. This is as far as I think it can go.

12_1828_4.JPG.89d7ee4914cdc9c5e040e4b0b15af31b.JPG

Even that is , for me, too much, but these things are all about personal preference, aren't they?

• Like 12
  • Friendly/supportive 3

3 hours ago, St Enodoc said:

In that case, Killin Junction, just for the sheer improbability of it all.

Yep, I'll go with Killin Junc as well, for pretty much the same reason.

Apparently, at Killin itself, there was no run round loop so it was all done by gravity. Coach put in siding, loco ran past, then coach rolled out of siding with the guard in charge of handbrake. The actual end of the line was Loch Tay, where the engine shed was. The 0-4-4Ts fitted inside, but the Standard 2-6-4T that was in charge at the end was too long for it.

And then there was the nearby stretch of line up Glen Ogle with its attractive viaduct. I'm envious of anyone who experienced this line in service or did one of the famous 'land cruises' in the area.

• Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
9 minutes ago, LNER4479 said:

one of the famous 'land cruises' in the area.

9 hours ago, St Enodoc said:

Good choice. One of my "might-but-probably-never-will" projects, concocted originally over 40 years ago by Dave Walker and myself, is "The Road to the Isles" featuring Kinloch Rannoch, which would have had two stations - a North British one on a branch from Rannoch itself and a Highland one on a branch from Pitlochry. Due to inter-company rivalry, the only connection between the two was through the goods yards.

"By Loch Tummel and Loch Rannoch and Lochaber I will go..."

Imagine the two lines to Kinloch Rannoch that I mentioned above. If the connection between the two halves had been upgraded in BR days you could have had a land cruise from Glasgow - Pitlochry - Rannoch - Glasgow or vice versa. What a day out that would have been!

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

Linlithgow for me. I copped Tornado there earlier in the day of the previous photo of Tornado coming off the bridge at Dalmeny. The previous day I did a run from Waverley to Inverness and back behind Tornado - fantastic - when coming from 12,000 miles away one must make the most of it. This was all part of a trip starting at Kings Cross behind Bittern and then Union of South Africa from York. A couple of weeks later I visited Gilbert and saw Peterborough North in the flesh! Thanks for that visit Gilbert very memorable and you keep reminding me of it every day so now I live with it - great stuff indeed.

Andrew

558999060_DSC_2667pss.jpg.8f6e08e8c6ea9ce73a45f6cf3c582134.jpg

Edited by Woodcock29
added comments
  • Like 14
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium

Killin was the clear winner of the poll, with 4 votes. Today we will go west of the WCML, from Carlisle to Silloth, and down along the coast to Barrow, and thence back to the main line, The cross country lines, and those around the lakes are also included.