Peterborough North

great northern

• RMweb Premium

I think my vote has to go to the 'Dunalastair' 4-4-0s of 1896. They had a good reputation as big pullers and speed on difficult routes.

Unfortunately the 4-6-0 contenders seem to have all been in small classes and mainly more stylish than really good worker - with perhaps the exception of the "Oban Bogie" class 55 4-6-0s which seem to have a good reputation.

Regards

Chris H

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

For me it is between the Dunalastairs and Cardeans.

I've decided to go for the Dunalastairs, I think they were probably a better loco overall.

David

• Like 1

I decided to get a drivers opinion on this one so I dug out my copy of The Lighted Flame by Norman McKillop. After briefly mentioning the Dunalistairs , he describes the Cardeans as “ possibly the finest express type ever possessed by the Caley”. He then continues - “The Cardean became almost an institution.As a youngster I remember my reactions the first time I clapped eyes on her. For sheer simplicity and satisfying looks the Cardean seemed to embody all that a locoman desired “ 

So the Cardean gets my vote.

A couple of interesting anecdotes:-

Norman McKillop mentions Cardeans regular driver, Davey Gibson Of Polamdie shed, who not only kept the pipework highly polished but also had various decorations around the cab , including two half pennies embedded in the regulator handle. Davey Gibson  and Cardean set a record of the longest connection between driver, engine and train when they took the down Corridor from Carlisle to Glasgow six days a week for six years .

Something I didn’t know about John Mc Intosh  is that he actually started his career on the footplate, moving from fireman to driver before losing his right arm in an accident. Undeterred, he managed promotion to various supervisory levels to eventually become designer, probably the only man ever to do so.

• Informative/Useful 4

I'm not sure now what we're basing our nominations on.  If it is success based, then maybe a numerous, long lived class deserves our recognition more than a glamorous but shorter lived class.  So my nomination goes to the 812 class of 0-6-0, of which there were 96, with an honourable mention of his 3F tank engine (147 off). 

• RMweb Premium

Cardean pulled away to win comfortably with 6 votes.

I'm a bit out of my depth in these foreign parts, so today we will come a lot closer to home. The most successful passenger design of H A Ivatt. There is of course one very obvious contender, but please do at least consider others. More fun that way.

• RMweb Premium

Mr Bullyboy's father in law, he did some nice looking engines so choosing something that isn't one of his two lovely Atlantics is quite hard. Do I go for the L1 0-8-2T(LNER R1), the K1 0-8-0 (LNER Q1), the very attractive range of 4-4-0s or the E1 2-4-0, all equally worthy of merit along with those suggested by others thus far.

Now to make a decision without Mrs M telling what I should do, by goodness this hard. Class A5 4-2-2.   

15 hours ago, great northern said:

Can't be Hornby, look at the green. Tim did this using Graeme King's parts. this next picture shows the colour and lining better.

406984292_35232.JPG.abafb040e361d4e07087d7a858f124de.JPG

As nice as the green is, it was the greasy wheels and coupling rods that caught my eye. Of all the various aspects of weathering , capturing accurately the effect of dirt and grease on the wheels and rods wherein an otherwise clean loco has been in service for a week or two is very, very difficult to achieve. I have rarely seen it done 100% convincingly . Tim’s work on the wheels in this picture is absolutely superb and has captured the effect as perfectly as one can get in oo gauge.

• Like 2
  • Agree 3

We were asked rightly asked to consider all the classes, because he designed some locos that were both attractive and functionally successful , but I can’t really see past the large boilered C1 Atlantic’s which have been among my all - time favourites since I was knee high to a grasshopper. Superb locos that were part of the glamour of the ECML.

• RMweb Gold

This time it's much harder for me to make my mind up, there are so many to choose from.

In the end I've decided on his 4-4-0s, D3 if you want a specific class.

David

So many of my favourite locos to choose from, the Atlantics, D series 4-4-0s, the N1 and C12 tanks, the Long Toms.  However, my choice has to be one of his last designs, the numerous and long-lived  J6 0-6-0. 

Surely a RTR model can't be too much to ask for?

• Like 1