great northern

Peterborough North

A Riddles improved black five......a BR Standard Five

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

I suppose the LMS Class 5 is the obvious one given the criteria, but since they did the same kind of work for longer I'd vote for the North Eastern's 4-6-0 (LNER B16) - also looked good, as well!

• Like 2

Black 5 from me, did everything that was asked of it and more.

Pete

Posted (edited)

To meet the criteria it'll be a Black Five.

I do have a soft spot for the B12's but they're not techically 'mixed traffic'.

Edited by LNERandBR

Posted (edited)
27 minutes ago, 31A said:

I suppose the LMS Class 5 is the obvious one given the criteria, but since they did the same kind of work for longer I'd vote for the North Eastern's 4-6-0 (LNER B16) - also looked good, as well!

Hi Steve

I thought it was 2 cylinder 4-6-0 mixed traffic locos, so didn't suggest a nice B16/3 as they had a middle one. I re-read Gilbert's criteria and I assumed it was two cylinder, what a pillock. Still sticking with Mr Riddles improved Black Five. 

Just waiting for those who like trains south of the Thames to wake up suggesting S15s and H15s, what ever they are.

Edited by Clive Mortimore
  • Like 1
  • Agree 1

Another vote here for the Black 5

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, cb900f said:

Black 5 from me, did everything that was asked of it and more.

Pete

A vote for them from me too, not least because several still are (or again will be post lockdown) doing it daily on heritage lines and mainline rail tours.

I think I would vote for a BR Standard class 5 with Caprotti valve gear.

Sandra

Yes, the Black 5 for me too.

I will vote for a B12, long lived and there are photos of them on various types of traffic. They may not have been technically mixed traffic but seem to have been used that way when required especially when moved to more rural sheds in the 50s. They also pulled ambulance trains during the wars because their light axle loading made them a 'really useful engine.'

The black five will probably romp away with it anyway!

Martyn

• Like 1

Has to be Black five with Stephenson motion.

36 minutes ago, great northern said:

Mid morning picture is one I rather like. It features that very smart KX B1, heading to Hull with fish empties.

956999794_11200.JPG.bd1b0107998872c6d2c3db8aa7c4debf.JPG

I can't remember if I zoomed this or just did a heavy crop, but, together with the BG on the left concentrating the eye on the loco, I reckon it works well. I even remembered to put some better lamps on as well.

Stop trying to influence the vote with sexy pictures.

• Like 3
  • Funny 7

The mixed traffic 4-6-0 I'm afraid has to be the Stanier Black 5 - the natural child of a very good parent - the GWR "Hall". Not sure which was the longest lived, but the Hall's route availability was compromised by the width over the cylinders - so the "Black 5" just scraped in.

regards

Chris H

4 hours ago, great northern said:

Today, mixed traffic 4.6.0s. Every railway had them, but which was the most efficient, versatile, and stood the test of time?

3 hours ago, Clive Mortimore said:

Just waiting for those who like trains south of the Thames to wake up suggesting S15s and H15s, what ever they are.

Much as I prefer trains south of the Thames (and without excessive copper/brass "bling"),  it's impossible to argue against a Black 5 given Gilbert's criteria...

The B1 of course from that nice Mr Thompson.:mad:

• Funny 1

2 hours ago, Clive Mortimore said:

Stop trying to influence the vote with sexy pictures.

But this is not about looks now, we've done that. I really like B1s, but have to remind myself that  they became very rough riding when they had been out of shops for some time, and so were neither pleasant for crews, or in some cases fit for higher speed passenger trains. If there are other mixed traffic 4.6.0s which didn't have this problem, I feel that might influence my choice.

• Like 1

My late uncle (actually my dad's cousin) was a very senior man at Crewe, and when I was about twelve, he took me to Dalry Road, where there were Black 5s galore - his comment that day was "there's one thing better than one of these Hikers (a Scottish nickname for them) is two of them.  He also had the honour of having to put a Black 5 on the Royal Scot to cover a failed Class 40 English Electric Type 4, and the event was also photographed by the brilliant railwayman/photographer, Ron Herbert in one of his books "The Working Railway" Vols 1 and 2.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, great northern said:

With our tea this afternoon, we can have another look at that B1, this time from Spital Bridge.

1759479689_21200bridge.JPG.98e156647c5ae06d335ca8dd09801138.JPG

I was trying to convey the length of the train, but still couldn't get it all in.

Hi Gilbert

That helps with showing it is a very long train, how many photos of real long trains do you see both the driver and the guard?

• Like 1
  • Agree 1