Peterborough North

great northern

Laxfield for me too though it was close.

What about Tollesbury, Framlingham, Thaxted, Snape, Hadleigh as well as those mentioned previously? I nearly threw Ongar into the mix with a vote. There were so many to choose from.

Martyn

2 hours ago, mullie said:

Laxfield for me too though it was close.

What about Tollesbury, Framlingham, Thaxted, Snape, Hadleigh as well as those mentioned previously? I nearly threw Ongar into the mix with a vote. There were so many to choose from.

Martyn

Ok , I say Ongar. One of the GER BLT’s still intact that can be visited today . Wonderfully atmospheric, and you can still get to it on a restored RT bus

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium
20 hours ago, St Enodoc said:

...but never part of the North Eastern Region? Rules clarification please umpire!

PS I lived in Garforth for about five years.

The umpire allowed the Easingwold line.

I spent my first 16 years in Garforth, Dad's side of the family go back beyond the parish records.

Adrian

• Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium

I forgot about Ongar - although it is sbout the only eligible one that I have visited by rail!

I first went there on the LT Track Recording Train as a Graduate Trainee circa 1973, We had a "Brown trousers" moment when we went round a bend and found the local track gang had not read the weekly traffic notices, had the track up on a pair of jacks to change a sleeper! An emergency stop and bad language ensued as we flatted the wheels coming to a stop, they did put the jacks down and clear so no derailment, but the unit had to retire for wheel turning befor recording was worthwhile again!

My most recent visit to Ongar was on the footplate of Met No.1 a couple of years ago. An interesting ride.

I'll still stick with Laxfield for bucolic charm. Did anyone else read or watch "Love on a Branch Line" - a delightful bit of silliness, but it gives a good feeling?

Regards

Chris H

• Like 1

Not really my part of the country so I'm tempted to abstain but I'll say:

Long Stanton

But only because it's one of the stations from the Flanders & Swann 'Slow Train' song.

It's not (or wasn't) even a terminus, so I believe ...

• Like 1

G'Day Folks

Really ought to be County by County, with so many to choose from, I don't know which one to nominate, Ramsey St Mary, or Maldon.....................................Ramsey St Mary, you are a hard taskmaster Gilbert:P

manna

• Like 2

49 minutes ago, stewartingram said:

Ramsey St.Mary? I only know of Ramsey East and Ramsey North.

Stewart

G'Day Folks

Sorry, I used the Town name, should have been Ramsey North.

manna

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium

I suspect this poll may have been a little disrupted by yesterday's maintenance outage, but I agree that you were also really spoilt for choice. Ten nominations, but well spread, Mildenhall and Laxfield the only ones to get 2. You can't get more bucolic than Laxfield, surely?  Do you want to do this again county by county at some stage?

Today though, our attention turns to the remainder of the Eastern region. Not as bucolic maybe, but still plenty of BLTs to consider.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Barton on Humber, still in existence although reduced to a bus stop but even to the end of its first life exactly as you would expect a far flung outpost of BR to be neglected and run down in the extreme.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
31 minutes ago, jwealleans said:

I think I'll go for Thirsk Town this time.   Make a cracking model.

You aren't eligible for senior moments Jonathan, but I think if you were, this might be one. Isn't Thirsk well within the orange zone of BR?

Of course.    Are you looking for a Great Northern location this time, then?

(I had occasion to point out to my wife at the weekend, after watching a Network Rail film about the Werrington diveunder, that the route to which it gives access is still called the GN/GE Joint, 97 years after Grouping.   In that context, if you close your eyes, it's not too hard to imagine that 1948 never happened).

• Like 2
  • Funny 1