Peterborough North

great northern

• RMweb Gold

I would like to nominate Reading General.

Not just a junction but multiple routes eminating.

To the West Paddington, Waterloo, Redhill (junction at Redhill).

To the south Basingstoke.

Southwest Newbury and the West Country.

To the West Didcot/Swindon/Bristol.

To the North West  Oxford (junction at Didcot).

As I have posted before the Sound of a castle at full chat through the middle track whistle on (the thought still raises hairs on the back of my neck).

Pardon any mistakes have broken my wrist just out from surgery uncomfy cast on!

Chaz

• Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Gold

Some very justifiable choices to date, but I'd like to offer Guildford. When I first knew it there was steam on the Reading-Redhill route, and to Horsham via Cranleigh. The roundhouse, complete with shed-pilot B4 30089, adjoined the station - as did the tunnel-mouth, so classic modeller's stuff. Equally classic Southern Electric Nelsons commanded the faster trains on the busy Portsmouth Direct, with their front gangways swinging as they crossed pointwork. 

• Like 4

• RMweb Premium

That was a well supported poll, with 14 candidates. Exeter St Davids did best with 4 votes.

Today we will look at a route that has gained few if any votes in any poll so far, which is a bit of a shame. So, the Midland main line, from ten miles north of St Pancras as far as Leeds. This should please Clive a lot, though he will agonise over so many choices. In the end though he will no doubt pick the most obscure, as usual.:jester:

21 minutes ago, great northern said:

That was a well supported poll, with 14 candidates. Exeter St Davids did best with 4 votes.

Today we will look at a route that has gained few if any votes in any poll so far, which is a bit of a shame. So, the Midland main line, from ten miles north of St Pancras as far as Leeds. This should please Clive a lot, though he will agonise over so many choices. In the end though he will no doubt pick the most obscure, as usual.:jester:

Now we're talking!

Well, if that includes the Manchester 'branch line' (ha!) then I'd plump for either Millers Dale or Chinley, the former for its dramatic setting, the junction for Buxton.

Overall, Chinley just shades it for me, effectively a four-way junction. It had one more platform (6) than Millers Dale (5) and had a small loco yard with turntable. There are a couple of turn-of-the-century pictures showing a Midland spinner heading for the station with a 3-coach through portion from Liverpool which was then attached to the main London express at Chinley, the loco then using the turntable to return back home (presumably with a balanced working in the other direction). (What price that in model form?) The turntable was still in use in the 1950s, turning the locos off the Sheffield-Chinley stopping service. What's not to like?

If we're strictly sticking to the 'main line' then I would choose Sheffield Midland. 8 platforms with attractive canopies and remarkably little changed even to this day (unlike - sadly - the above two mentioned examples).

Edited by LNER4479
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, manna said:

G'Day Folks

I liked Normanton, great place in it's time.

manna

According to Wikipedia (never wrong, of course), at one time it boasted the world's longest railway station platform (a quarter of a mile long). Queen Victoria once stopped over in The Station Hotel.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, great northern said:

Are we still on big junctions?

• RMweb Premium
Just now, great northern said:

Indeed we are.

Thanks Gilbert. In that case, if it doesn't stretch the rules too far, I'll nominate the entire Trent Junction area, for its sheer complexity (and an almost-as-complex array of canals and rivers underneath too). If that's not allowed I'll go for Derby, where I started my BR career.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
6 minutes ago, St Enodoc said:

Thanks Gilbert. In that case, if it doesn't stretch the rules too far, I'll nominate the entire Trent Junction area, for its sheer complexity (and an almost-as-complex array of canals and rivers underneath too). If that's not allowed I'll go for Derby, where I started my BR career.

No, I think Trent is fine. The station wasn't that big, but as you say, what a complex of junctions.

• Thanks 1