Peterborough North

great northern

• RMweb Gold

No, I didn't notice the change in shade in the background. Being overcritical is fine when it is of your own work. It is the opposite of the 'that'll do' mentality many of us settle for. Stick with it.

Edited by Oldddudders
  • Like 1

• RMweb Premium

I think this captures the 50s black and white image look quite well, maybe because the ballast hasn't got bleached so badly in this area. I am going to do something about that soon, honest. I have to ask, do you notice the corner of the room in this shot? I couldn't be bothered to photoshop the whole thing just to get rid of that, but it jumps out and hits me and spoils the reality effect I'm looking for. Am I being oversensitive as usual though?

I wouldn't particularly have noticed the corner of the room if you hadn't mentioned it; I agree I think it does capture the 1950s image well.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

I have to ask, do you notice the corner of the room in this shot? I couldn't be bothered to photoshop the whole thing just to get rid of that, but it jumps out and hits me and spoils the reality effect I'm looking for. Am I being oversensitive as usual though?

I didn't really notice it until you pointed it out but now I see it looks like a crease in a scanned photo. So still a realistic 50s shot but from a different perspective.

• Like 1

Cloud and gloom today. Not used to that lately. Never mind, here is another angle on 60055 and the J6.

attachicon.gif55 and J6 2.JPG

I've decided that I can live with some photos of trains on that curve, as the whole composition looks right, and it is a shot of the model, so the fact that the curve is far too sharp for the real thing doesn't matter. we then have another shot of 60055, which has now got itself straightened out.

attachicon.gif55.JPG

On the subject of sharp curves I think they look better when seen from the inside. From the outside the opening of the gaps between coaches and particularly between a loco and its tender is a spoiler for me.

Chaz

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

My posty will be knocking on my door soon and I may have to ask permission to show you what he/she has delivered......................................and it will be DCC Fitted..............

could be controversial..............such fun.

Philth

• Like 5

The postman always knocks twice, if I recall correctly. Yesterday, he knocked once, and handed this over.

attachicon.gifCK.JPG

Just as good as the others, and it will plug a gap in the available loose stock. I should have time to paint the roof and apply some frame dirt over the Bank Holiday, which I shall not spend gazing at the unmoving rear bumper of someone else's car. Today, the postman knocked again, only once, but that makes twice in total, so should be OK. This time he brought evidence of temptation, and my inability to resist it.

attachicon.gif62530.JPG

Tim and I have been discussing the possibility of another D16 for a while, but the one he has presented us with some logistical problems, so when I saw this one on EBay at a decent price, I decided to go for it. She was a March engine during the last year of her life, and lasted until September 58, so that's all right. I have some photos of her in immaculate condition, well after last repaint, so I may well ask Tim just to give her a light dusting. Half of the 14 that remained in April 58 were shedded at March Kings Lynn or Spital bridge, so I reckon I can justify quite a few being seen daily at PN. And they are so lovely, as is the model, that I'd have been very tempted even if I couldn't justify it.

That coach is rather special and the "Claud" looks very good in BR lined black. Both of them make me almost regret my choice to work in 7mm, when such riches would be available in 4mm.

Chaz

• RMweb Gold

I'm hoping to get the Thompson CK on Saturday at the York Model Railway Exhibition......it looks as good as the others in the range. I just wonder why it was delayed. No one seems to know.

Best regards,

Rob.

P.S. I have two Claude Hamiltons, such lovely engines.

• RMweb Premium

Last shot of the V2 before it disappears to the South, but the J6 still waits.

post-98-0-51257400-1492157604_thumb.jpg

I'm aiming to build up another Midland four set, mainly for a bit of variety,as I get bored when I know in advance that exactly the same rake will always be used on these locals. I'm half way there, as these two pictures show.

post-98-0-86769400-1492157783_thumb.jpg

post-98-0-39044400-1492157796_thumb.jpg

A good comparison between modern RTR and what we fondly imagined was state of the art when it appeared way back when. Was it really forty years ago? I well remember looking at one of those Mainline coaches at Millholme Models when they first appeared, and marvelling with the staff there at the detail. First class decals! No smoking signs! The heavily recessed windows drew no adverse comment at the time, as we had no idea that they could be avoided.or rather that technology would move on so they could be. Actually, I have to admit that I still have a bit of a soft spot for these coaches, despite their deficiencies.

• Like 19

... Tim and I have been discussing the possibility of another D16 for a while, but the one he has presented us with some logistical problems, so when I saw this one on EBay at a decent price, I decided to go for it. She was a March engine during the last year of her life, and lasted until September 58, so that's all right. I have some photos of her in immaculate condition, well after last repaint, so I may well ask Tim just to give her a light dusting. Half of the 14 that remained in April 58 were shedded at March Kings Lynn or Spital bridge, so I reckon I can justify quite a few being seen daily at PN. And they are so lovely, as is the model, that I'd have been very tempted even if I couldn't justify it.

But of course it is justified - and a delight for us to see.

You can never have too many Clauds, you know... :)

Paul

V2 again this morning. I reckon I could do with about another ten of them.

V2 2.JPG

And then I focused on the A3 in the excursion platform. Actually, I had done this shot a day or two earlier, but when looking at the image closely I found that the engine's tender was derailed. This train has a long stopover though, and so was still in position, giving me another chance. Back on track, and some fiddling about with photoshopping produced this, taken as the train was finally pulling away.

109 leaving.JPG

I think this captures the 50s black and white image look quite well, maybe because the ballast hasn't got bleached so badly in this area. I am going to do something about that soon, honest. I have to ask, do you notice the corner of the room in this shot? I couldn't be bothered to photoshop the whole thing just to get rid of that, but it jumps out and hits me and spoils the reality effect I'm looking for. Am I being oversensitive as usual though?

Love the V2 :). It's a loco I would love to have on my layout :)

Don't worry about the corner, yes you can notice it when it's pointed out but if you look at any layout there will be bits that remind you it's s model... take mine for instance I should have made the back scene 50cm and at the ends of the layout much wider....but it was made to fit into a space....

Your layout is cracking, the locos and stock are amazing and it's an inspiration :)

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

The other reason for a second Midland set is this.

post-98-0-84952600-1492205825_thumb.jpg

Both Up and Down Midland trains were in the station at the same time, about 9.30am, so if I don't have two sets I would have to cheat, and you know I wouldn't do that. :mosking:  A good helping of 4.4.0s at the moment, which can't be bad. The Claud having departed, the south end pilot can bring in the stock for the 9.42am to Norwich.

post-98-0-20011100-1492206073_thumb.jpg

That should bring us another GE section engine, but we shall have to wait and see.

• Like 17

• RMweb Premium

Another shot of the N5 this morning. Having uncoupled from the stock, the driver awaits instructions.

post-98-0-22923500-1492246591_thumb.jpg

And from the North, Doncaster A3 Ladas runs through with the 7.30 Leeds -KX.

post-98-0-59544000-1492246669_thumb.jpg

I think that backdrop ranks as one of the most successful things we have done on the layout.

• Like 13

And three of my favourite classes in one shot to boot, happy days!

..and some lovely track geometry in the foreground. I do like the look of an A3 with a double chimney but without smoke deflectors. It's a matter of some regret to me that The Scotsman is so disfigured.

Chaz

• RMweb Premium

Only one picture this evening, but it does contain three locos, so really you have not been short changed.

attachicon.gifthree engines.JPG

You should like this one as well then, Tony.

post-98-0-37118500-1492335276_thumb.jpg

Ladas still rolling through, B17 backing down onto the Norwich, and the J6 still waiting. There will have no doubt been many occasions when more than one loco at a time was in motion at PN, and I don't get to photograph such events as often as perhaps I should, possibly because when operating alone I concentrate on one train at a time. That's because I know what can and does happen if I don't.

post-98-0-17275000-1492335534_thumb.jpg

B17 and A3 from another angle.

• Like 16